Author Topic: Range Rod  (Read 8641 times)

Offline iloco

• Old Timer, Chilhowie, Va.
Range Rod
« on: November 18, 2014, 10:03:56 PM »
Where can I find a range or field rod that is long enough for loading and cleaning a 46 inch 20 ga smoothbore fowler.
TOW has one but its only 44 inches long.  I already have that one.
iloco

Offline THOMAS PICUCCI

• Starting Member
Re: Range Rod
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 10:12:38 PM »
Eastern Maine Shooting Supplies. http://emshootingsupplies.com/index.html
3/8" brass rods come in 11" extensions that screw together. I have one with 4-11" extensions (first section with handle is 12" I think) for a 53" 20 ga smoothbore barrel. Works fine. 

Offline iloco

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 11:01:37 PM »
Thanks  teepee.  That is what I been looking for.
iloco

ratfacedmcdougal

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 11:12:38 PM »
Muzzleloader Builder's Supply has 48"x 3/8" Brass or maybe bronze in one piece

Offline iloco

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 11:48:38 PM »
Thanks ratfacedmcdougal.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 11:53:49 PM by iloco »
iloco

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2014, 01:31:47 AM »
 I can not prove that range rods can cause detonation of the main charge by turning your barrel into a fire piston, But I suspect it to be the case. On two occasions, around here, when the "ever present lingering spark" was blamed for the AD, a range rod was in use. Just remember that if you use one, don't get distracted, and ram the patched ball down bore in one swift stroke. Push the ball down in stages like you would with a wooden rod.

Hungry Horse

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2014, 02:00:44 AM »
I can not prove that range rods can cause detonation of the main charge by turning your barrel into a fire piston, But I suspect it to be the case. On two occasions, around here, when the "ever present lingering spark" was blamed for the AD, a range rod was in use. Just remember that if you use one, don't get distracted, and ram the patched ball down bore in one swift stroke. Push the ball down in stages like you would with a wooden rod.

Hungry Horse

As someone who has built a couple of actual fire-pistons, I cannot disprove that theory, but i can assure you that i personally don't think it is possible to get compression ignition in a M/L bore, with normal conditions.  It has to happen HARD and FAST with zero leaks*.  Not arguing, just sayin'. 

*There is a video out there where a guy tries to make fire in a oversized piston, nearly as big as a M/L barrel.  It's ridiculous how much effort he has to put into it.  And i don't recall if he got a spark or not, but it gives you an idea of how much force is needed to get compression ignition.

Hold to the Wind

Offline Daryl

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2014, 02:29:11 AM »
Not saying it can't happen, but hasn't to this guy, nor me when using range rods.
This is a .495" soft lead ball, with a .020" patch in a rice Barrel.  Not a .010" patch, but a .020" patch. The only reason he used a 'cleaning rod, is that it's easier than removing then replacing the rifle's hickory rod. This particular range rod is also hickory, seems to me.

As far as loading a 42" let alone a 46" barrel in one hard stroke, you'd need fairly long arms I think. Taylor''s 6'2" - I don't think he could without standing on something.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 02:34:58 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2014, 04:51:10 AM »
Where can I find a range or field rod that is long enough for loading and cleaning a 46 inch 20 ga smoothbore fowler.
TOW has one but its only 44 inches long.  I already have that one.

easy to make yourself.  Start with 48" brass or steel rod.  Glue or solder a ramrod tip to one end.  A 3/8" rod fits into a 7/16 rod tip.  Slide a 3/8" ID bore guide onto the rod.  Glue and pin to your handle of choice.  The bore guide will be retained by the rod tip.  If you use one inch of rod on the handle end and gain one half inch at the rod tip plus what you gain in the jag length, you will have a rod of adequate length.

Not everyone likes to make their own stuff, but it is an option.
Mike Lee

Offline Kermit

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2014, 04:56:06 AM »
These guys will make one any length you want.

http://www.rmcoxyoke.com/inc/sdetail/brass_ramrods/6546/150
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline Natureboy

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2014, 06:39:01 AM »
  Most metal shops that deal in copper and brass will have remnants of brass rods in various diameters.  I've bought 5/16 and 3/8 remnants and taken them to a nearby machine shop to have them cut to length and tapped to accept 10/32 threads on both ends.

Offline Karl Kunkel

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2014, 07:26:41 AM »
Don't various suppliers make brass rod extensions that thread on?  

Would something like this work?

http://logcabinshop.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=184_160_11&product_id=24795
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 07:37:24 AM by Karl Kunkel »
Kunk

Offline Gene Carrell

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2014, 12:15:40 PM »
Tip Curtis has 48" rods. Bought one from him at Sept. shoot.
Gene

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2014, 03:03:31 AM »
You should have seen what I went through to find good rod blanks for my 72" fowler barrel. Now have a couple of wooden ones and one in brass. The brass one weighs almost as much as the fowler!!
Mark
Mark

Offline Leatherbark

Re: Range Rod and alcohol can diesel
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2014, 01:10:22 PM »
I've done the following and it was a surprise. 

I was at a match and was getting ready to shoot.  I was cleaning my barrel with a 91% alcohol patch and a TOW  range rod.  I pushed that baby up and down real fast and "KAPOW" out the touchhole an explosion came that sounded like a percussion cap. Before I started wiping with the alcohol patch I squirted some alcohol down the barrel.

Bob

Offline heelerau

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2014, 03:01:07 PM »
We had a range rod go through a blokes hand when loading a slug rifle, suspect he was using a volitile type bore solvent and may have had a diesle type event. ???
Keep yor  hoss well shod an' yor powdah dry !

RPTyson

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2014, 07:54:39 PM »
Newbie to forum and BP ML's, here.  Really enjoying reading and learning.

However, While spending time with a couple guys this year in OK, during ML deer season, I made both of them Range Rods for there Sidelocks.  Pretty cheap really.  Bought 4' aluminum 3/8" rod at Ace hardware, ~$4 each, and the 10-32 drill/tap combo, ~$10.  Cut the rod to length for them (36"), drilled/tapped each end, made a T handle with the remaining piece left, screwed it to rod with Brass screws.  Viola, range rod.

Found that the jags and other things are 10-32, but the Outers brand tips, can be 8-32.  To handle either case, the handle can be screwed on using 8-32 screw instead of 10-32.

This works for up to 4 ft requirements, but after that, it sounds like another section will have to be added.

For what it's worth.
Recie

AZshooter

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2014, 08:22:56 AM »
Track of the Wolf sells rod blanks made of hickory and other materials.  They come in 48" lengths and are cheap enough that you can make several to fit all your r4rifles and muskets.  Only caution is to be sure to tell them you need it absolutely straight the entire length for a long barrel, and they will be extra careful - they will reship at no charge if you get one that's not to your satisfaction.  They have all kinds of ferrules, jags, pullers & junk you can use to build a rod to your liking. 

I have a range rod permanently seated in the rear window of my truck, so it's always there if I forget any other rods.  With a fusil coming to me in the mail sometime in the near future, I already have a rod blank waiting to see how it needs to be built.

Online smylee grouch

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2014, 04:21:58 PM »
From reading all these replys it sounds like you have more that one option for a range rod. I wont claim to be an expert but I personaly would not use an aluminum rod. Again, I'm no expert but that is just my opinion. For what its worth. Good luck in your quest.