Author Topic: Second try as a bag maker  (Read 6063 times)

Online Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
Second try as a bag maker
« on: November 21, 2014, 04:19:27 PM »
This is my second bag project and I'm looking for advice and constructive criticism.  ""It looked better on the buffalo"" will not be appreciated :D  At any rate, the bag is made from bison leather and edged and lined with commercial buckskin.  It is a work in progress as I intend to add a back pocket and holders for short starter and powder measure.  It is hand stitched with artificial sinew and you can see how my stitching has improved during the course of construction.  All stress points (weight bearing) are sewn through at least 3 layers of leather and sometimes 4.  The knife is by Mike Beathe; none better.  So give me some ideas besides ""quit now while you are still behind"".  I have a pile of money in tools and leather, so I can't quit now.
Roger B.

Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
Re: Second try as a bag maker
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 10:50:48 PM »
Very nice!  I've made four and yours is nicer than my best.  Only critique is the knife sheath.  I'd make it deeper with only a few inches of the handle exposed.  Do you have a special cutter for making the scalloped edges?
Mike Lee

Online Roger B

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 11:56:58 PM »
Yep!  I bought a pair of pinking shears and they work pretty well!  I think you have a point about how much knife handle is exposed.  I'll keep that in mind with my next go round.
Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

jamesthomas

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 02:20:33 AM »
 I personally don't like the brown leather trim, I think it would look better without it and just have the bison leather stitched together with a gusset. JMHO.

Online Roger B

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 02:43:45 AM »
I appreciate your post James.  It does have a gusset, but I went back and forth on the trim and I think that I will probably stick with a single color of leather next time.  Since I never intended to try to sell it, I decided to try to get artsy.  I have to tell you that the bison leather is a PITA to edge with, which is part of the reason I went to the buckskin.  I guess I could always dye it if it ever starts to really bug me.  I also wondered about using the artificial sinew since everyone else seems to prefer linen.  Since I live here in Phoenix, I was trying to catch what a local leather worker might have made here, in New Mexico, or Southern California in the mid 1800s.  I may take a shot at a Mariano Medina styled bag next.
Roger B.

navygunner

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 04:57:48 PM »
Nice bag but I too would have preferred a solid colored bag.

NG

Offline trentOH

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2014, 06:35:03 PM »
I like the bi-colors of the bag, much like I find the dark and bright coloring of a Brown Bess appealing. But the tongue of the flap is larger than I like. How about a gold or silver colored doo-dad on the flap, like an animal or your initial?

Offline okieboy

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2014, 06:40:32 PM »
 I like the pinking. I would loose the trim and would prefer more bag, less flap.
Okieboy

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2014, 10:03:49 PM »
Think I agree that the flap is a bit long.  It all has to go somewhere while you are reaching into the bag.  If concerned about keeping it closed, you can sew a weight into the bottom area of the flap.
Mike Lee

Online Roger B

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2014, 12:36:02 AM »
Thanks, guys, i really appreciate your input. I styled this bag after one of the old Humber Valley bags from the 80s and it had a long flap. Im going to put some trade silver on the flap for sure. Next time i may due a trade wool inset, but too late for this one. Just put a loop on back for a ball starter. Next is a loop for a measure and a small back pocket. I never planned all that stuff and next time ill engineer all of it in first.

Offline Kermit

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2014, 01:03:21 AM »
Humber Valley Traders bag that I think I bought in the 70's. It had a shiney Bud Tuggly strap that I trashed and put on a replacement. They did use artificial sinew. I did too, but don't any more. I think I heard a rumor that the stitching was contracted out to First Nations women on Vancouver Island, but that could have been a hallucination.

Single color, no pinking. Welted, no gusset. Lead heart stitched between layers of flap

« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 02:47:54 AM by Kermit »
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

gizamo

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2014, 12:19:29 PM »
Your stitching is well executed. Perhaps a tighter spacing. Next time ...you might try linen or hemp thread. :)

Online Roger B

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2014, 01:37:04 AM »
Yep. Tomorrow i plan on picking up a 4 or 5 hole punch and some linen thread and bee's wax. Is there an online wholesale outfit better than tandy?

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2014, 01:50:28 AM »
Yep. Tomorrow i plan on picking up a 4 or 5 hole punch and some linen thread and bee's wax. Is there an online wholesale outfit better than tandy?

I too am interested in a good online supplier.
Mike Lee

Offline pathfinder

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2015, 07:24:56 AM »
The color of the trim is ok,your stiching is in too far from the edge and the "trim" is to loose on the flap. I measure and pre-punch ALL my holes first. Ditch the pinking shears,IMHO. I bind and welt all my seams and edges with the same leather I make the bag from.
Not all baby turtles make to the sea!  Darwinism. It’s works!