Author Topic: Some years back I was assisting a fellow at the range  (Read 9556 times)

Offline Daryl

Some years back I was assisting a fellow at the range
« on: November 21, 2014, 09:39:36 PM »
Just recently, I was going through my photobucket acount and came across this old 2-shot sight-check target. It is not a group, merely checking my sight alignment for an upcoming moose hunt. this rifle shoots identically with oil or water based lubes, which is unlike ANY of my other rifles.

I was helping a friend (Shad Marshall) with his new modern rifle. He'd fired a bunch of shots at a 100 meter target using his "the stuff that worked in my old rifle" - with poor results as you can see.  It was a .30 cal. brand new rifle.  He then switched targets to some new ammo he'd purchased with amazing results.  

I asked him if I could fire a couple shots on his target just to check the my sights on my 14 bore, for an upcoming hunt.  On being questioned, I assured him I'd be distinguish my hits from his.  This was about 2010, maybe 2011 - a few years back anyway.  He then asked "Will that thing hit the target" - again, I assured him it could if held correctly. Here's the target, 1st shot and 2nd- none other shots were deemed to be needed. Yes- it will shoot. Standard 100 yard target, shot at 100 meters (109yards) 1" squares.

He suggested I had missed the centre and was shooting a bit to the right. I figured it would be OK for moose out to 125 yards or so. There was a slight breeze, left to right.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 09:41:19 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline bob in the woods

Re: Some years back I was assisting a fellow at the range
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 10:09:15 PM »
Daryl, that is pretty much the same re comparison between muzzleloaders and modern rifle results that we see at our club   ;D   Nice shooting !

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 01:55:48 AM »
That's a hoot!  ;D
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 02:39:15 AM »
DarylS, your shots look proper and well-rehearsed.  as expected no less.  ;)

Those other shots...look okay for 300!  Hope that fellow got his sorted out.  I don't know why anyone with any loading experience would ever think that what works good in one gun would work in another.  It could of course...but really, it hardly ever does.  IF you insist on best accuracy that is. 
Hold to the Wind

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 04:41:31 AM »
Nice group Daryl, kinda puts some space between the shooters and shooter wanabee's.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 07:59:03 PM »
Thanks guys. I did find a different target amongst a stack of old ones I was throwing into the re-cycle bin. I took a picture with my old Olympus digital camera but my new computer won't download them to where I can find them - bloody $#*! - The comp. has an 8.1 system - I hates it.

The target has a nice group with the .69 and is marked 10 shots but only at 50 yards. I was testing a mix of Pine Sol and WWWF.  2 of the shots were listed as offhand, one striking at lower left and one through the centre.  It was shot maybe 2 years ago, gee, maybe 3? as I was testing a somewhat new 15 bore mould I got from Jeff Tanner for shooting hard balls. It casts a .675" soft lead ball and .677" in WW metal. I note that I used a .675" pure lead ball and the 'heavy' denim which is .030" thick, along with 160gr. of 2f GOEX. I probably had only an 80gr. mould and used a double measure to get a hunting-type load.  Noted also on this page, is that this load shoots 2" at 100M.  The 10 shot group measures 1.096" centre to centre.

Found another that I'd shot with the .58 Kodiak after I found loads that regulated it's 2 barrels into one group at 50 yards shooting the same at 100yards as a load that shot parallel at 50, ie: into a 2 to 2 1/2" group at 100.  The group shows 3 rights, 3 lefts and runs 1.210" C to C.  Not bad for a gun that rarely regulates, using 100gr. 2F GOEX and .562: RB with .022" denim patch.(10 ounce) There is an extra hole in that target- that's called a flinch - yeah - me too. Sometimes I even flinch with the 14 bore.

I'll see if my wife's Cannon Camera will work with this computer - this Dell XPS doesn't seem to like my Olympus SP-500UZ. The operating system for my camera is listed up to XP but worked just fine on my Vista system. I've lost the disk for my camera and the downloads from Olympus are not listed for this system.

If you can't make out the writing, holding the Ctrl button and pushing the + button will enlarge the screen. Pushing the ctrl button and scrolling the mouse wheel will do the same.  Pushing the ctrl button and the 0 button will return your screen back to normal size. I only suggest this for guys who did not know. I do not know if this works on MAC's.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 04:49:28 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

Offline Daryl

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 02:44:24 AM »
Her camera doesn't work either but I have a request for the appropriate drivers in to Canon - I will see what that brings.
Daryl

Offline Kermit

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 02:53:07 AM »
For some reason this reminded me of watching a kid try to use a rotary phone. He could read the numbers, so was poking his fingers into the dial's holes like they were buttons to push. Some days I feel really old...
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

jamesthomas

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2014, 11:18:03 PM »
 A 160grns. of 2ff? with a .675 ball? are you kidding? No way would I even want to be near someone shooting that load. :o. Your crazy.

Offline PPatch

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2014, 02:14:50 AM »
For some reason this reminded me of watching a kid try to use a rotary phone. He could read the numbers, so was poking his fingers into the dial's holes like they were buttons to push. Some days I feel really old...

That's a hoot! Like the kid watching me shift a 3-speed on the column one day. He finally asked me if I was handicapped...

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Daryl

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2014, 07:28:31 PM »
A 160grns. of 2ff? with a .675 ball? are you kidding? No way would I even want to be near someone shooting that load. :o. Your crazy.

Crazy? maybe - but it is not running any higher breech pressure than your .54 or .58 at the same velocity, 1,500fps. It does, however, kick a bit more than the little guns.
Daryl

Vomitus

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2014, 09:10:35 PM »
   Holes all over the place.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2014, 03:50:56 AM »
..buck and ball load, eh?
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2014, 03:52:52 AM »

it just goes boom!  

big powder for big ballz (and big patches too).   :P

and he )is( crazy.

...Like the kid watching me shift a 3-speed on the column one day. He finally asked me if I was handicapped...

didja tell 'em heck no, that you were indeed

handi-capable!?

that column shifting is for smart peeple? ;)

Hold to the Wind

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2014, 06:53:11 AM »
That's a hoot! Like the kid watching me shift a 3-speed on the column one day. He finally asked me if I was handicapped...

dave

Dave P,there is a saying my 3stripe superviser in the motorpool shop had,back then,and I still use-Hire the handicapped,they're fun to watch!!!It has been appropriate for me on several occasions following carpal tunnel surgery back in 80's.Then I changed it to" we're fun to watch."
Every time I got my finger in the wrong hole on a rotary phone,I ended up with a new girlfriend.yes ,there is no end of the off color fun with thisn.I try to be goodboy here.Dave F ;D

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2014, 06:56:56 AM »
that column shifting is for smart peeple? Wink

Wade,that headlight dimmer switch thang got real corn fuzin back when they changed it from the floor to the column.I have a GM service bulletin re us Hillbillys  gittin our feet tangled up in th steerin wheel a tryin ta dim them infernal headlice.Dave ;D

Offline Daryl

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2014, 09:26:45 PM »
Thanks to Mark who most kindly sent me the upload disk for my camera, I was able to get some pictures off my camera.

Here is my first test of the .675" (15 bore ball) and the heavy .030" patch I've been normally using with the .684" ball. I noticed an error - I should have subtracted .675", not .684"- making the group an actual 1.105", not 1.096".
note,  this 10 shot group also includes 2 shots offhand, one making the 7 o'clock hole and one going through the middle which didn't enlarge the group. Note also, this undersized ball with the thick patch does shoot into 2" at 100 meters. No idea where those targets are, might have gone out in the re-cycle bin.
one other target I'll add to this later, is of a .662" (16bore) ball, shot with 2, .017" denim patches. Looks as good or better than full sized balls. I don't think I shot the 16 bore balls at 100 meters. Different target face, so different day at the range.

Too bad I pulled the shot low but the 4 that all touch in the centre are visible as individual shots. The far right show, marked Flinched Baaaaaaaaad is most unfortunate, thus I fired a 6th shot. This group measures an actual 1.370"

« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 03:49:51 AM by Daryl »
Daryl