Author Topic: current state of scholarship on the Germanic "Rococo" trigger guards/mounts  (Read 2009 times)

splashback

I haven't noticed this topic being fleshed out, what is current state of scholarship on the "probably of German origin" pointy finial 'Rococo' trigger guards & butt plate mounts as seen on RCA 59/79 and a few others?  

-Is there evidence that these mounts were sold separately in America or are the American RCA guns thought to be restocks of older furniture from cannibalized Euro guns?

-Do these forms just show up on smooth bore guns or are there *European stocked* guns with this furniture and full octagonal/swamped rifled barrels?

-Are there any surviving butt plates of this general style that were cut for a box?  If so, wooden?

I'd appreciate any info anyone had to share! ;D
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 08:22:30 PM by splashback »

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Some specific guards and sideplates appear on more than one early colonial rifle that is stocked in American wood.  This, and that the engraving does not match other engraving on these guns, or on other guns believed to be made by the same maker, leads to a partial consensus that such castings were commercially available.  That they were imported is also supposed, because of their similarity to some European examples.

I think by extension, it is a common belief that many/ most of the rococo guards which are for now "solo" examples were also imported.  I don't know how one would research any of this.  But I'd not be surprised if a clever young scholar or an iconic master had some clues.
Andover, Vermont