Author Topic: S. G. rifle  (Read 4840 times)

Offline WElliott

• member 2
S. G. rifle
« on: November 27, 2014, 06:53:25 AM »
In looking back at some of the southern rifles in the Library, I noticed the unattributed rifle marked "SG"  I believe that iron-mounted rifle was made by Samuel Glover of East Tennessee. Glover worked in the Gross.shop early in his career, and likely apprenticed there. The bold guard and entry are very reminiscent of Jacob Gross' work. I owned a very similar rifle, which likewise has the long, narrow cigar shaped box, bold guard and entry pipe and it had the same S.G. signature. Three very knowledgeable collectors of Tennessee rifles agreed that Samuel Glover was the maker.of that rifle and I would give the same attribution to the Library rifle.
Wayne Elliott

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Re: S. G. rifle
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 06:24:54 PM »
Here is a link to the rifle that Wayne is talking about. I have heard others more knowledgeable than I say that they thought this was a Samuel Glover rifle.
http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=4384.0
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2014, 08:28:49 PM »
I'll contact the owner of that rifle, and maybe he will get on here in the next few days, with his thoughts.
John
John Robbins

Offline louieparker

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2014, 11:41:50 PM »
I think its a Samuel Glover and probably one of his earlier rifles. I say that because of the forged trigger guard. Almost all the Glovers that I have seen were made with an iron butt plate and a cast brass trigger guard..I only recall seeing one with an iron guard and this may be that rifle.. The Glover rifles are very much like the rifles by Alfred Gross in both style and workmanship. One area where they most  differ is from the trigger guard to the rear pipe .  Gross rifles are straight from the guard to the pipe, where Glovers  taper up toward the barrel. That type side plate I have seen on I believe two Gross rifle, but normally found on Glovers. I can't see the inside of the trigger guard bow at the front.. But I would bet that it has as extension near 1/4 inch long that sets on top of trigger bar and the bar has  a cut depression to except the extension . I have only seen this on Gross and Glover rifles..

timM

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2014, 05:11:09 AM »
WElliott, I had also considered this to be a Samuel Glover rifle.  As it happens, I always thought this piece to be my favorite Appalachian iron rifle of a handful I own.  In hand the proportions are a bit more  delicate than the photos allow you understand, she is long and lean, about a size 5....smile.

Louie Parker, you are correct regarding the trigger guard extension sitting on top of the trigger bar in this rifle.

I've another rifle that I haven't made available that is likely a S Glover or at least a connection to A Gross.  This rifle is in amazing condition, with original finishes and raised grain still showing.  There is a silver plate let into the barrel with initials that likely indicates the rifles owner. 

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2014, 09:00:58 PM »
I've seen two Glover guns with the exact same markings.  Both located in in Sullivan County.  I have no doubt that's who made it.
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

Offline PPatch

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2014, 02:10:58 AM »
Love the lines of this rifle, it is one of my favorite southern guns, no, It is my favorite.

dave
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 02:11:18 AM by PPatch »
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?