Author Topic: Teflon Patching  (Read 6878 times)

max

Teflon Patching
« on: November 27, 2014, 06:20:41 PM »
Does anyone know if Wayne Lamson is still making his "Tough Ass" Teflon patching"?

Offline Standing Bear

Re: Teflon Patching
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 12:45:30 AM »
Here is a phone number I have for Teflon patching.

820-935-2801
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

Offline Michigan Flinter

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 03:33:18 AM »
 Wayne isn't making patching anymore .wish he would start up again I only have about a yard left  .I keep it in my safe and use it only for the chunk gun .

max

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2014, 06:04:20 PM »
Very sorry to hear that. I'm in the same boat as you hoarding the last foot or so for matches. His product was exceptional.

dagner

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 09:59:15 AM »
  no he is out of business

dag

Online Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 07:28:51 PM »
http://www.theminute-men.com/

Most of our group gets their Teflon patching from the above link, may be what you want.
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

Offline Kermit

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 07:40:21 PM »
Whoa! Seven bucks for fifty patches? And then add on shipping? Maybe I'm not serious enough about squeezing out that last teensie bit of accuracy...  :-\
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2014, 10:20:36 PM »
Never used Teflon patching, so I'm in the dark about them.  Since the patching is dry, how do you keep the fouling softened?  Do you need to wipe with a wet cleaning patch between shots?

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2014, 11:14:13 PM »
I use teflon patching in all my target guns and, yes I have to use a damp patch between shots. Every one else that I know who uses teflon also cleans between shots.

Offline Don Steele

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2014, 01:43:27 PM »
I've used it in the past, and as already noted..a wipe between shots with a "just damp" patch has always been required.
Thickness of the "wiping patch" and degree of it's "wetness" WILL affect group integrity, even with teflon material.

I haven't used it in quite a while, but I'm getting ready to give it a try again for bench shooting with my flintlock Hawken, once I get a few other issues worked out.
I've never spoken to anyone who has used a good quality teflon patch material who didn't believe it tightened their groups. It is pretty pricey, and probably not a good way to spend money until you have already worked out the other variables. IMHO.... it's not worth going to until you are routinely getting "one-ragged-hole" kind of groups and have reached the point where you need a little extra help shrinking the size of the hole.
Other's experience may vary...this is mine. 
Look at the world with a smilin' eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by...(Alison Krauss)

Offline Daryl

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2014, 09:50:02 PM »
Don - that is good information. I keep having more variables to work out and now that the eyes are letting me down, well, it's getting more difficult all the time.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 09:50:35 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline plastikosmd

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2015, 03:18:43 PM »
I get mine from minute men. A yard goes a long way, good people too

Offline Kermit

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2015, 09:17:48 PM »
Thanks, Plasti, I'd overlooked the bulk sheet material. I'd want to cut my own anyway.

Did I see somewhere, maybe this site, someone describing making your own teflon patch material?

Just curious, but is teflon lying outside the limits of discussion for this site's traditional orientation? Seems pretty modernish, kind of like u----hammer actions.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline Standing Bear

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2015, 10:43:52 PM »
Here is a phone number I have for Teflon patching.

820-935-2801

Call Bonnie at the above number.
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2015, 10:56:59 PM »
At the risk of departing a little from this thread, I had a guide/outfitter in the shop last evening.  He wanted to see the progress I had made on the Jaeger rifle on the bench, and a discussion on hunting ensued.  I showed him MY hunting rifle - the .62 cal Hawken which impressed him apparently.  We talked about hunting techniques for moose, when you are using traditional muzzle loading rifles.  His comment was 'why limit yourself when you could be using a Kevlar stocked in-line rifle with a scope?'  I tried to give him a feeling for the philosophy behind using traditional equipment, but I'm not sure I made any headway.  Some folks don't want to work too hard when a perceived easier way is available.  The use of the very rifle he was proposing is the culprit that killed our "Primitive Hunting Season" here, around twenty years ago.
I return you now to your regular programming.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.