Author Topic: Optimal size patch for 54 caliber  (Read 7790 times)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Optimal size patch for 54 caliber
« on: December 02, 2014, 11:41:05 PM »
With all the posts on how to cut out round patches I wondered if anyone has done any accuracy testing on pre-cut square versus round patches in a .54 caliber (or other calibers).

I am tired of cutting at the muzzle (wearing off the finish of the muzzle ;D). I have used a few pre-cut, prelubed patches and wasn't too pleased with them. Don't remember what brand but they seem too small to insure good groove contact all around unless perfectly centered. Before I try making a cutter I thought I would ask about what sizes work the best in a 54.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
Re: Optimal size patch for 54 caliber
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 11:45:23 PM »
How about simply using a loading block for pre-cutting your own?  Push in, cut, push through, repeat as necessary.  Should be quite easy to replicate you muzzle-cut version.

I've never measured my patches, push in and cut (once-fired patches have been my notion of pre-cuts!)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 11:47:04 PM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline BJH

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 11:54:34 PM »
A variation of Wades method, start a ball in a loading block with patch,cut off patch, push through and measure.  After your done all that $#@* I use 1 1/4 dia for everything up to .58 :D BJH
BJH

Offline Hawken62_flint

• Nothing like it, 'cept more of it !
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 12:29:37 AM »
I started out cutting every patch at the muzzle back in the early 80's, but soon found that I got just as good of accuracy with pre-cut patches.  I have never gone back and I am pretty sure the game I have taken or the targets that I have shot don't know the difference and shooting from a bench, which I only do to sight in, I can't see any real loss in accuracy.  I generally go by the packaging on the OX-Yoke or other precut patches for the size for different calibers.  Just an old hillbilly and my thoughts.

Offline ScottH

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 03:39:36 AM »
I bought a 1 5/16" diameter arch punch that I have been using to cut shooting patches. Works just fine for me in my .54. I'm sure that you could use one up to about 1 1/2" diameter but that seems like a bit of a waste of patch material to me.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 05:40:59 AM »
I bought a 1 5/16" diameter arch punch that I have been using to cut shooting patches. Works just fine for me in my .54. I'm sure that you could use one up to about 1 1/2" diameter but that seems like a bit of a waste of patch material to me.

Depends on how many times you want to re-shoot it.  ;D 

Hold to the Wind

Offline snapper

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2014, 02:58:56 PM »
I only use ox-yoke .015 patches for my .54 rifles.  I use moose milk for lube.  I have never tried a accuracy test between pre cut and cutting at the muzzle.  But I have won a bunch of medals at state and national level with only using the ox-yoke patches.

I have tried the lubed ones, and did not like them.  too much lube IMO.

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

ottawa

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2014, 03:13:19 PM »
I have used the .30cal cleaning patches that come in a square shape from the mill surp store without cutting them in my .54 with good accuracy I don't shoot matches just punch paper and hunt spit or Crisco .530 rb

Offline Maven

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2014, 09:41:06 PM »
Dennis, I too dislike cutting patches at the muzzle for the very reason you mentioned.  That leaves me little choice but to pre-cut all my patches (square) with a pinking shears, which prevents fraying (tedious though).  A 1 1/4" or 1 5/16" patch works well, but not to overthink the question of patch size, why not multiply the RB diameter by 2.3 and round up to a convenient number?  E.g., .530" x 2.3 = 1.219" or 1.25" rounded up.  This has always worked for me. :)
Paul W. Brasky

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2014, 11:30:44 PM »
With the coned muzzle on my .54 I find a little larger patch than 1 1/4" helps keep the ball centered better.  I have been making them 1 3/8".

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2014, 02:26:57 AM »
 Every magazine that deals with muzzleloaders, both current publications, and those that have gone by the wayside, have published numerous articles doing comparison tests on square verses round patches. I have never seen one that proved any advantage to either. I only use round patches because nobody has invented a square hole saw yet.

Hungry Horse

Offline t.caster

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2014, 07:02:21 PM »
I've been shooting MLs about 40 yrs. and have tried EVERYTHING the "experts" said I must do ;) Most of the advise made no difference, since 95% of my shooting is offhand, it's still up to my muscle control and concentration and old (tri-focal) eyesight.
I cut strips about 1 1/4" wide (for my .530 ball), then lube them, then cut into squares. Maybe 1 3/8" wide for my .62 cal shooting. Then I take 4 or 5 together and lop off the corners for a rough octagon shape. They do not need to be round. Then I put them into a (15 hole)bullet block for the next days shoot. I also carry an extra lubed strip in my bag in case 15 aint enough. I can either cut the strip at the muzzle or use patch knife to cut a square, depending on how fast we are moving along the woodswalk.
There, I think I broke all the "experts" rules.
Just have fun and be safe!
Tom C.