Author Topic: Knapping gunflints video for download.  (Read 3917 times)

hammer

Knapping gunflints video for download.
« on: December 04, 2014, 12:51:44 PM »
Will Lord in the UK is an expert on Stone Age tools and skills.   His father was the curator of Grimes Graves in Suffolk, England, the surviving Stone Age flint mines that produced the unique large, black, 'pavement' blocks of flint from deep underground.   (Mines that also produced the gunflints for the English and East India Company armies during the Napoleonic war and beyond).  And demonstrated flint knapping to visitors.  Will carried on from there with his own lifelong fascination for that earliest period in European history, turning his passion into a business imparting his skills and knowledge.
Will also knaps the finest English black gunflints for sale.  And has produced a 16 minute video that can be purchased and downloaded that takes the viewer through all the stages and equipment required to knap your own.
I buy my gunflints from Will and only discovered his video yesterday.   Having just watched it I think it is well worth the cost.   

For his web site search 'beyond2000bc'.

Enjoy.

Offline moleeyes36

Re: Knapping gunflints video for download.
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 04:13:32 PM »
Hammer,

Are Will's flints available on this side of the pond?  If so, would you happen to know from what source they are available?  Thanks.

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

hammer

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2014, 11:29:42 AM »
Sorry Mole Eyes, don't know.   

Offline Don Steele

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2014, 01:09:12 PM »
Here ya go Moleeyes:
http://www.will-lord.co.uk/ourshop/cat_709271-4-GUNFLINTS.html

Looks like if we bought 100, they'd be about 3.00 each. There does not appear to be an additional shipping cost.
See you at the club later today..!!  :D

Look at the world with a smilin' eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by...(Alison Krauss)

Offline Tony N

• Rabbit Hash,Ky
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2014, 04:10:01 PM »
It looks like they do charge shipping, if you go to Check Out.  It's based on the Country that they are being shipped to.

~Tony

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2014, 04:27:51 PM »
That's more than I'd be willing to pay for them at any rate when you can get good black English flints or French amber flints any number of places in the $1.75 a piece range.  It was worth check out though, thanks. 

I have a few TexArk flints from Muzzleloader Builders' Supply that were mentioned recently in another thread here on ALR.  The poster said he hadn't tried them yet.  I haven't tried them yet either, but I intend to do that this morning.  They run a buck apiece.  I'll post how they work out for me.

Mole Eyes

Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2014, 04:58:46 PM »
As far as cut flints are concerned,Guenter Stifter in Trimbs Germany has the best.
They cost more but they are worth more.I helped him get sales here in America
beginning in 1979 and for years every flintlock I sold had one installed.
Guenter,in addition to his muzzle loader activities was also a top security officer
for the German government and set up security for visiting dignitaries from all
over including the Reagans.I called him the day President Reagan was shot and
asked him if he had heard any news from America and he said "No,I have been doing
security in Prague because the Russians were all too drunk when they got off the plane"
I told him about that days events and he said he thought it was safer to be the German Chancellor than the American President.He called a few days later after reviewing the
film of the attempted murder of President Reagan and said his security was weak and the cop that got shot in the back should have been looking at the crowd where Hinkley came from.

Bob Roller