Author Topic: TexArk Flints  (Read 6836 times)

Offline moleeyes36

TexArk Flints
« on: December 07, 2014, 12:49:04 AM »
I purchased 10 TexArk flints from Muzzleloader Builders' Supply and hadn't gotten around to trying them yet.  They are made here in the USA from Texas chert by special needs young adults according to MBS .  So today I opened the package and checked them out.  They were not quite as uniform in size and shape as the black English flints I normally get from Track of the Wolf, but appeared to be nicely knapped.  I picked one and tried it in a rifle with a large Siler lock.  It really sparked up a storm each time and after shooting about 15 shots with it I checked it and it still had a really sharp and uniform edge.  MBS says they have a slightly shorter life span which I'll have to wait until I've used them more to ascertain.  However, after 15 shots the flint still had a sharp edge without knapping it.  On this particular gun I normally get about 50 shots out of a flint before I can't get a reliable shower of sparks from it even with knapping it.  I know some folks can get more shots out of a flint before they replace it, but that's my experience. 

So the first use of these TexArk flints was encouraging and I'll try them next on a rifle with an L&R Durs Egg lock which is kind of hard on flints.  I'd be interested in hearing from others that may have tried these flints to get their impression of them.  But at a buck a piece, they certainly are worth experimenting with for a while.

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline iloco

• Old Timer, Chilhowie, Va.
Re: TexArk Flints
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 01:44:44 AM »
How many did you order and what was shipping cost.
 You got to put all your buying information on that site before you know the cost of shipping..
I would buy a few if shipping didn't run them up very much.
iloco

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2014, 02:10:40 AM »
 You got to put all your buying information on that site before you know the cost of shipping..

Yeah, i _hate_ setups like that.  Probably why i haven't completed my first order yet.  You could call 'em, but then that defeats the point of "online" ordering.
Hold to the Wind

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2014, 03:16:44 AM »
I guess I can't say what the cost for shipping would be for just a few flints alone because I get a lot of things from them and things are combined.  But if you order just a few flints from them, TOW, Dixie, or anybody else, you are going to be eating the shipping cost for them alone.  My experience is that their shipping costs are just the actual shipping costs and not inflated as is the case with others.  Lets face it, if you order things that you can't buy locally, you are going to be facing shipping costs. 

Mole Eyes
Don Richards

Offline gwill

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2014, 03:20:48 AM »
I just received 25 of these flints. Shipping to NC was $6.00. I'm looking forward to giving them a try - glad they're working for you.

Offline okawbow

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2014, 03:26:50 AM »
I've been using the same TexArk flint for more than 50 shots, no misfires,  in my Davis Colonial lock, without having to touch it. It is still very sharp and throws plenty of sparks. I intend to hunt with it next weekend.

If I remember correctly; Muzzleloader Supplies' shipping costs are very reasonable, and the delivery is fast. I've had good luck with everything I've bought from them.
As in life; it’s the journey, not the destination. How you get there matters most.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2014, 03:56:41 AM »
Sounds great fellas, i'm in. thanks

Ordering some drawings too.
Hold to the Wind

Offline iloco

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2014, 04:42:41 AM »
I order a dozen.  If I like them I will order more.
iloco

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2014, 05:20:18 AM »
When you guys get the flints and have a chance to try them, let us all know how they worked for you.  A good flint at about half the price of a black English flint would be a good thing to find.  Sort of like a half price sale on good Kentucky nectar at the liquor store  ;D.

Mole Eyes
Don Richards

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2014, 04:11:19 PM »
I live in WV and using a USPS flat rate box I can send an 8 pound block of lead to Alaska.
It costs $5.95 and $50 insurance and tracking are included.Heck of a deal IMHO.

Bob Roller

Offline iloco

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2014, 04:33:13 PM »
I live in WV and using a USPS flat rate box I can send an 8 pound block of lead to Alaska.

Bob Roller

Fair shipping I don't mind paying.  My gripe is some people will list and item and have shipping exxtra where they add to the shipping price for more profit on the item listed.
  I always include the shipping price in my sale price so no one gets a surprise when buying from me.
iloco

Offline Old Ford2

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2014, 04:51:05 PM »
I look forward to trying these flints.
Thank you for the information.
Speaking about shipping costs?
Check out EvilBay for inflated shipping costs.
A $10 item that fits into a typical envelope can run about $25 in shipping  :o
Give me a break!  >:(
Fred
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!

Offline Don Steele

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2014, 05:41:34 PM »
I just jumped in for a dozen. Moleeyes, I noticed your lock was making a pretty good shower of sparks yesterday. One of the other guys even commented on it.
It will be interesting to see how they hold up in my T/C Lock. It's pretty hard on flints...probably needs "Adjustment" and tuning. ??? ..but I'm not at that point yet..!!  ::) All in good time. When my little order arrives, we'll run'em side by side in the two locks.. track shot count, etc.
I love this kind of stuff..!!  ;D
Look at the world with a smilin' eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by...(Alison Krauss)

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2014, 07:47:29 PM »

Bob Roller

Fair shipping I don't mind paying.  My gripe is some people will list and item and have shipping exxtra where they add to the shipping price for more profit on the item listed.
  I always include the shipping price in my sale price so no one gets a surprise when buying from me.

YEP,THEY ARE MAKING ANOTHER SALE THERE AND I HAVE REJECTED MORE THAN ONE OF THESE RACKETEERS.tHERE ARE TOO MANY AROUND THAT ARE REASONABLE AND I ALWAYS INSIST THAT USPS FLAT RATE BE USED.tHE BOXES ARE FREE AT ANY POST OFFICE.i USE THEM FOR ALL SHIPPING OF LOCKS AND TRIGGERS.

Bob Roller

Offline PPatch

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2014, 08:26:03 PM »
Shipping is one of those areas a company can make extra profit. A company I once worked with charged a $15 flat rate up to a certain poundage and within the USA. They had a contract with UPS so got reduced rates for their high volume of items shipped, we would fill a small UPS truck each afternoon. Thing was our actual price to ship was on average 3 to 5 dollars per order. Didn't stop the company from making a big deal out of their "flat rate shipping" to the customer.

I'll give those flints a look when I need to order some. Thanks for the tip, I like doing business with MLBS.

dave
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 08:27:18 PM by PPatch »
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

jamesthomas

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2014, 01:27:45 AM »

Yeah, i _hate_ setups like that.  Probably why i haven't completed my first order yet.  You could call 'em, but then that defeats the point of "online" ordering.

I've talked to them on the phone before and they are very friendly and helpful, and they answer pretty fast also. I believe Suzy Bisco owns it. I have their Full stock Fowler drawing to help me with my Pecatonica Early full stock Fowler build. I've seen those Flints before and always thought about getting a dozen but never pulled the trigger. I guess I'll get some when I order my lock for the Fowler. 

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2014, 02:14:03 AM »
It is my understanding that Suzie sold out to Ryan who moved it out to Idaho. I also do some business with them. Never been disapointed.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2014, 03:04:46 AM »
Yes they are fast and courteous as i noticed a patchbox with incorrect published dimensions. They quickly confirmed the error, corrected it, and notified me of such.  I'll definitely be doing biz there.  I interacted with Terry Jo.  According to her signature, it's Ryan Roberts & Terry Jo Mann at the helm now.

But my truck broke down and is racking up a big bill at the repair shed, so "non-essential" spending is on hold.  :-\
Hold to the Wind