Author Topic: Hello and question about Jamestown NC firearm  (Read 9854 times)

Radical1018

Hello and question about Jamestown NC firearm
« on: December 07, 2014, 07:53:14 AM »
Hi all.  I am a gun collector and found this forum.  I collect all types of older pistols but am branching out to long musket rifles.  This brings me to my question.  A friend of mine has a W LAMB and SON rifle with Masonic symbols that is gorgeous.  He wants to sell it and told me to make him an offer.  I really don't know the value of these types of rifles enough to make him an offer.  And I know this forum cant give an exact and I am not asking for an exact, but an around the ballpark type figure that a rifle like this is worth. 

I read where the SON by itself is a more desirable mark as well as all the Masonic symbols that are on the rifle.  It really is a nice piece.  Looking forward to getting into the long gun rifle genre.

Offline Bob Roller

Re: Hello and question about Jamestown NC firearm
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 04:02:51 PM »
If the owner won't quote a price,walk away from it.I have a friend that has a fine collection of antique guns and he made NO offers on any of them. The seller had to quote a price.

Bob Roller

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2014, 05:22:58 PM »
I'd slap a $100 bill on the table.....somewhere to start anyway.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Radical1018

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2014, 05:45:10 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  But even if he did throw out a price, I would not know what is fair market value for this type of gun.  The range on auctions is all over the place.  And i know a gun is worth what someone is willing to pay, but there is usually a number you can use for a "will not go there " price.

If he were to say 2500.00, would that be a good place to start?   And try to get him to 2200?   

Thanks for the replies. 

Offline iloco

• Old Timer, Chilhowie, Va.
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2014, 06:00:24 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  But even if he did throw out a price, I would not know what is fair market value for this type of gun.  The range on auctions is all over the place.  And i know a gun is worth what someone is willing to pay, but there is usually a number you can use for a "will not go there " price.

If he were to say 2500.00, would that be a good place to start?   And try to get him to 2200?   

Thanks for the replies. 

You have got a lot of homework to do before you going to be satisfied with yourself.
   I have traded all my life and sometimes I have payed to much for an item.  Makes one work harder so it will not happen next time.
 It's  hard to answer your question with out pictures and all the information on the rifle you can get.
A Picture is like a thousand words.
iloco

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2014, 07:19:03 PM »

Thanks for the replies. 

OK,once more.It is a willing seller and a willing buyer.Do you LIKE this rifle?
This is going NOwhere FAST and pictures on this forum are much appreciated.
It might be worth $2200 to you and $50 to me or another person.

Bob Roller

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2014, 07:36:20 PM »
If you don't own the gun, you probably don't have pictures.

But there's one Lamb & son rifle in the library on this site. Click the link and let us know how the rifle you're looking at compares to this one, in decoration And Condition. http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=5546.0

Also, is the one you're looking at stamped on the barrel with the makers name, or attributed to him?
I expect that mbriggs will see your question before long, and NC rifles are his specialty.

John
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 08:01:36 PM by JTR »
John Robbins

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2014, 08:31:24 PM »
If the owner won't quote a price,walk away from it.I have a friend that has a fine collection of antique guns and he made NO offers on any of them. The seller had to quote a price.

Bob Roller

Absolutely.  Some folks don't get this but traders do.  Mind-reading is not what it's about.  Folks have to start somewhere and the OWNER should start the show. 

Also if you LIKE the gun and are not a professional trader*, buying it at "wholesale" is NOT so important.  What is important is getting it and endless maneuvering over a couple few hundred is simply invitation to let it slip away when someone who likes it MORE comes along.

Sure it's great to get a "good deal", but it sucks to miss one--or sell a gun and wish you didn't. 

*Everybody likes to think he's really making money on every deal but us amateurs tend to remember only the gross and never the true expenses or actual _net_ profit (if any).

When each piece is one-of-a-kind to some degree or another, things are most complicated. Best of luck.
Hold to the Wind

Radical1018

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2014, 12:24:56 AM »
Reply to JTR:

The gun looks exactly like that except it has silver Masonic symbols decorated all over it.  It is clearly marked W Lamb and Son on the barrel.  The gun is nice and has the original ramrod.

A friend owns it and I have done smithing work for him.  So I guess I can try to get him to throw out a number.  I just thought the experts on here that collect these types of guns might have a guestimate on possible value to see if the number is reasonable for this type of gun. 

Thanks for the replies...

Offline mbriggs

• member 2
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2014, 12:26:09 AM »
Values are subjective.  Your opinion of a great gun might be average to another collector.  If the rifle is in very good condition and not missing any inlays, then $2,500 is a good starting place.  I would need to see photos or the rifle in person to be comfortable quoting a price.  I hope this helps.

How many masonic symbols does the rifle have?  I have a W. Lamb & Son with 20 masonic symbols on it.

Michael Briggs  
C. Michael Briggs

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2014, 01:42:46 AM »
Radical,
I agree with Mike, before anyone here can really help you on a value, pictures would need to be posted or at the very minimum sent to Mike. I would even hesitate posting them here until you purchased the rifle. If it were myself I would send the photos to Mike and if you purchase the rifle then posting it here for us to see would be greatly appreciated.
Good Luck,
Buck

Radical1018

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2014, 03:03:19 AM »
Thanks all.  I am going to negotiate with him this upcoming week and see if I can purchase it.  I would be comfortable at 1500.00 - 1800.00.  I will post some pictures of it if I am successful.

Michael - To the best of my recollection,  it has (4) large symbols on the butt end and (6) or (7) smaller ones in other areas of the gun.

Hopefully I will be successful and can add a beautiful crafted rifle to my collection of small arms.  Thanks all. 

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2014, 05:35:31 AM »
Did your friend buy this rifle at auction yesterday in NC
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Radical1018

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2014, 07:07:35 AM »
No.  He has owned this one for awhile.  He collects civil war thru WW2 rifles and got this one as a lot deal with others he purchased.  Do you have a site where that one sold?  I can look at it and see if it helps in my negotiating a price.   Thanks

Offline Mick C

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2014, 12:03:25 AM »
If you get the rifle, be sure ad post some pictures for us to see.   :-)
My profile picture is my beloved K9 best friend and soulmate, Buster Brown, who passed away in 2018.  I miss you buddy!

Radical1018

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2014, 07:35:27 AM »
I didnt get the Lamb & Son rifle.  We could not come together on a price.  He said he was going to put it on GB and try to sell it.  I do have a chance to pick  one up this from an older gentleman.  He said he has owned it since the 50's and purchased it in the GA mountains.  It has no makers mark on the barrel nor the plate that I could find.  Does anyone have an idea of maker or any information they could share? 

« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 07:57:24 AM by Radical1018 »

Offline EC121

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2014, 03:51:18 PM »
The Lamb rifle is on Gunbroker with a good set of pictures.  Item #458087879.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 03:52:33 PM by EC121 »
Brice Stultz

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2014, 07:19:22 PM »
Just my opinion, but I'd think his opening bid on Gunbroker is about all the money.

On the one you just posted, let him keep it, and keep looking.  That one is worth little more than the cost of shipping. Be patient, there's lot's of those old late period percussion rifles around, some in very good condition, and none of them sell for much money.

John
John Robbins

Offline gibster

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2014, 08:18:24 PM »
Looked at the rifle and I have to agree with JTR. I have seen quite a few rifles with broken wrists that were repaired, but I have to say that this is the first one that I have seen that the broken areas pretty much match up on both sides from the wrist back on both sides of the butt stock.  Just looks a little suspicious to me, but what do I know.  I have a few NC rifles and it's hard for me to pass one up, but I don't think that this one will find a home next to the others I have.

Offline EC121

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2014, 09:35:52 PM »
I agree with JTR.  $8-900 is about it for that rifle.  It looks like a hardware store rifle that someone decorated.  The cheekpiece looks like an afterthought.  Might be a good piece if it fills out a collection.  Like Forrest Tilton's Ohio rifle collection.  He wanted a rifle from every county in Ohio.  New or old.
Brice Stultz

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2014, 04:39:18 PM »
I must say that is an interesting wrist break and repair.....almost like a different buttstock has been grafted on.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Radical1018

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2014, 05:19:13 PM »
Yeah.  I looked at the rifle in person and thought it was part of the original design because of the way the lines and metal matched.  Of course, I am a pistol collector and know nothing of long guns either.  So that isnt saying much.

He had a S&W I prefer much more.

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2014, 06:26:26 PM »
Buy the S&W.
Buck