Author Topic: Mud wasps !!  (Read 11995 times)

Offline bob in the woods

Mud wasps !!
« on: December 09, 2014, 01:16:28 AM »
I haven't shot my .54 flintlock rifle in a while, although I do go over my guns regularly.  Deer season is now over, so I thought I'd try it out this past weekend. [ I used my smoothbore for hunting]. I looked at the touchhole which seemed plugged, and then ran a ramrod down the barrel as I always do , just to make sure the barrel is not loaded.
Long story short, mud wasps had filled up the bottom inch of the barrel. Didn't take them long to do it, and I never saw them !!!   Took forever to clean it out.  How the heck they got in I don't know  ???

Offline flinchrocket

Re: Mud wasps !!
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 04:12:54 AM »
In Indiana we call them " mud daubers". I never heard of them getting in a gun barrel, but I had a old barrel that was gave to me that was packed full of something. When I read your post that was the first thing that came to my mind. Whatever was in that barrel was hard as the Dickin's. I never did get it out,but now thinking back I'll bet that's what it was.   Jerry

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 07:17:55 PM »
I was having problems starting a weed whacker that usually started ojn the 1st pull. I got to looking around and those mud daubers had packed the muffler with mud. I poked a screw driver in it and it started on the next pull. I check it every time I try to start it now.

We were at the EPR last October with our guns hanging on an outside rack. I saw a wasper going down the barrel once but never gave it another thought. Later, we were shooting and that gun wouldn't go off. My 1st thought was a dry ball so I got the worm out and ran it down the barrel. I screwed it in something and yanked it out. There was about 4" of dead grasses packed down the bore. :/
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 07:20:38 PM by Keb »

Offline Daryl

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 08:25:58 PM »
In Indiana we call them " mud daubers". I never heard of them getting in a gun barrel, but I had a old barrel that was gave to me that was packed full of something. When I read your post that was the first thing that came to my mind. Whatever was in that barrel was hard as the Dickin's. I never did get it out,but now thinking back I'll bet that's what it was.   Jerry

At my home in South Western Ontario when I was a kid, we referred to them as Mud Dauber wasps as well.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 10:36:30 PM »

At my home in South Western Ontario when I was a kid, we referred to them as Mud Dauber wasps as well.

Mud daubers was what we called them and probably over half the antique muzzle loaders in West Virginia have a mud daubers nest in them and maybe some of the new ones too.

Bob Roller

Offline Kermit

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 11:44:43 PM »
Tampions--or small corks or penny balloons. It happened to me once, but never again. What a mess.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2014, 12:41:47 AM »
            I'm sure my wife would have something to say if she saw a string
            Hangin out of all my gun barrels !

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2014, 01:13:52 AM »
            I'm sure my wife would have something to say if she saw a string
            Hangin out of all my gun barrels !

noun: tompion
1.a wooden stopper for the muzzle of a gun.
2.a plug for the top of an organ pipe.

Not tampon, although I suppose it would work, but definitely would not be hc or pc!

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Kermit

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2014, 01:25:30 AM »
Eighteenth century spelling conventions were near nonexistent, and both "a" and "o" were in common usage in the term.  ;)
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2014, 01:56:59 AM »
 Out here in the sunshine state we call them mud daubers too. When I was a teenager my dad accused me of losing his .22 rifle, or selling it. I denied it, but was painted with the brush just as well. Come spring my dad found the little rifle, right where he had left it. You see it was a Mossberg with a breakdown forearm, and he had been shooting birds out of the cherry tree with it. Something must have come up, so he broke down the forearm, and hung the gun in the inside limbs of the cherry tree. The mud daubers filled the barrel soon after he abandoned it, and it stayed plugged all winter. He took it to the local gunsmith, who cleaned the mud out of the barrel, and recrowned it. My son owns the gun today, and I shoot it at the local novelty matches on new years day. It is known in our gun club as old lucky, because it has taken more prizes at this match than any other .22. I like to think it is because, it, and I, were created in the same year, 1949.
 My wife calls me lucky, as in lucky I let you live.

Hungry Horse

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2014, 02:00:40 AM »
Just one more reason to always check your barrel with the ramrod before loading .
My first thought was…heck!  I don't remember loading this rifle ???   

Offline chrisdefrance

• Chris de France
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2014, 02:01:43 AM »
We have to block off any hole that you don't want mud daubers in. Worst was a friends outboard fifty horse on a twenty foot johnboat that we run the river on.

You have to check out your deer stands before every opening day. They nest in the attic. They are in anything that has a hole.
"These are the times that try men's souls: The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of his country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman."

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2014, 02:11:13 AM »
          Thanks Ron, I was about ready to head down to Wally world and get a five year supply. Ha

realtorone

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2014, 02:50:58 AM »
Growing up in South East Mo.and central Ark. we called them dirt dobbers.Called  the same thing here in lower Alabama.They get in any hole available and up under things as well.They were under all the fenders on my Crosley and it was  in the garage.They even build tubes on the garage ceiling.I've found them in old shotgun barrels also.
George

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2014, 02:53:34 AM »
In the middle part of TN we call them "dirt dobbers" or the alternative spelling "daubers"  :P

Never "wasps" because they don't sting.

Ever sit by a mudhole and watch them make their little mud balls
and fly away to dob something up?

also, i'd rather have my stuff all dobbered up than to have the mice "anti-splice" the wires. 
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 02:56:27 AM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2014, 03:49:07 AM »
I've read tales of burst barrels on big bore safari type guns of old caused by mud dauber blockages.
It is something to think about for sure.
tc  
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 03:50:57 AM by T.C.Albert »
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2014, 04:10:02 AM »
Down here in South Carolina we also call them dirt daubers.Nest can be used in a pinch as flux to forge weld with.     Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline Topknot

• www.yahoo.com
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2014, 04:21:53 AM »
Bob, here in the heart of dixie, alabama... everyone calls them pesky things dirt daubers.

topknot
TIM COMPTON, SR.

layover to catch meddlers!

Offline Daryl

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2014, 08:42:51 PM »
In the middle part of TN we call them "dirt dobbers" or the alternative spelling "daubers"  :P

Never "wasps" because they don't sting.

Ever sit by a mudhole and watch them make their little mud balls
and fly away to dob something up?

also, i'd rather have my stuff all dobbered up than to have the mice "anti-splice" the wires.  

The Mud Dauber's in South Western Ontario sure stung  - whackwhackwhackwhack - just as quicly as that - and up to 5 stings before they'd fly off. Nasty, hateful beasty insects. We hates them!
The dauber's I'm referring to are the ones with the really long thin, needle diameter section between the thorax and the short puffy curved down abdomen.

Maybe they have different temperaments, Down South?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 08:43:37 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline PPatch

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2014, 09:54:40 PM »
Georgia here and I was stung by a dirt dauber early last spring, and that is when I learned they will sting, the female of the species that is. Before that I too believed they didn't sting. You have to upset them up some before they go to stinging though.

When I first moved into what is now my gun shop, an old machine shop, there was of evidence of dirt daubers everywhere, hand drills and other tools with all the openings daubed shut, any hole a target. "So, thinks I, I'll give them something to fill by golly..." I took several scrap pieces of lumber and after spending over an hour cleaning out the drill press housing drilled those full of holes, several hundred holes, and hung them around the shop. That was about three years ago and not a one of those holes has been filled. Yet I still find fresh dirt dauber mud filling openings in tools and other holes around the shop. Got two rifles out there too but so far no mud filling. I always check the bore and wipe the excess oil out before loading one though.

dp
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 09:55:49 PM by PPatch »
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2014, 12:56:45 AM »
Hey Dave Parks---back in 2003,I bought a 26" camper over in Marrietta,Ga,had it delivered to Grayson,where I lived in it for 7 years.First summer there,there was no screen cover on the heater exhaust,and in the fall when i went to use it,couldnt get igniter to light.Bein the mechanic I am,I removed it and found the ENTIRE heat exchanger PLUM,SLAP,FREAKIN FULL o them varmints.Was a regulat mud dauber Hilton,lol.Cleaned it out,re installed,fired right up.I went and bought a stainless screen and installed it on the exh port.No more probs,'cept the squirrels raisin a litter in the A/C shroud.Thas a nuther tale.It was good there.Dave F ;D

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2014, 01:28:21 AM »
The Mud Dauber's in South Western Ontario sure stung  - whackwhackwhackwhack - just as quicly as that - and up to 5 stings before they'd fly off. Nasty, hateful beasty insects. We hates them!
The dauber's I'm referring to are the ones with the really long thin, needle diameter section between the thorax and the short puffy curved down abdomen.

Maybe they have different temperaments, Down South?  

Well i'm not one to persist in incorrect beliefs. I've been stung and bitten by most everything that moves-except the dirt dauber.  Those are they-the Victorian-wasted waspers (VWW). They are very mild-mannered in the South (plenty of mud and spiders (if you crack open their daubings you'll find spider carcasses mostly).  

The "brown" wasps we have (paper) sting, but you really gotta irritate 'em.  The red ones--can be quite territorial and their sting is a bit hotter.  The WORST sting for me is the ground-dwelling (in paper nests-that skunks like to dig up) Yellow Jackets. 

Lots of folks think "ladybugs" don't bite either.   They do. 

/sidewise

« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 02:32:54 AM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2014, 02:57:00 AM »
               Someone told me if you hung up an old hornets nest that the wasp would leave! I've
                never tried it, but might work because there territorial .

Offline Don Adams

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2014, 04:20:43 AM »
My brother in law had a browning SA 22 Belgium made that was a farm gun - rusty, stock scratched and finish pretty much gone and yep a mud dauber's nest in there packed solid. First time I had ever seen it or even heard of it.
Don't know if my nephew got possession of that rifle or not after my brother in law died in an accident.

Offline LH

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2014, 04:46:32 AM »
If you could sell dirt dobber  mud,   I'd be a jillionaire. A fellow told me that if the larvae in the end of the mud tube dies, then the others cant get out and they all die.  Somewhat interesting,  but useless bit of info.   ;D