Author Topic: Unknown Maker  (Read 4014 times)

Geminibuddy

Unknown Maker
« on: December 09, 2014, 06:09:26 PM »
I am a newbie. I inherited rifles from uncle and only mark I see on this Hawken style rifle is my uncle's initials on barrel. Resources?

Also- I don't know how to post photo

Offline EC121

Re: Unknown Maker
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 11:16:57 PM »
Go to "Tutorials" and look under "Miscellaneous".  Instructions for posting pics are there.
Brice Stultz

Offline Kermit

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 11:37:04 PM »
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Geminibuddy

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 06:55:46 PM »

galamb

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2014, 04:32:31 AM »
Without hi-def pics it looks like a fairly well put together "Hawken" built from components that are normally found with the builders kits provided to produce Carson or Bridger versions.

The lock looks "different" from those commonly sourced from L&R or Davis for Hawken builds. It could be custom or it may be an L&R Leman lock (percussion Ashmore style) that has had the hammer changed to get the geometry correct with the breech plug (which is what it looks like to me).

If my (interpretation) is correct it literally could have been built by "anyone", but from what I can see it does look well done.

What are some of the specs?

Did you check the "underside" of the barrel for barrel makers/gun makers marks?

Caliber, barrel length, is it straight or tapered? etc

Geminibuddy

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2014, 01:35:22 AM »
I have never disassembled one. Can you direct me to a site?

Candidly, I shot 3 position smallbore (Olympic style) for collegiate scholarship. I have only touched the blackpowder off when my uncle would hand it to me on occasion. I don't even know how to load. I have a small assortment of tools, bullet casting stuff, possibles bags, etc. but have no clue. Any guidance is appreciated. I am anxious to learn. He and I were close but when we shot together it was all rimfire and fun- he never told me the details. Sadly his kids didn't want the stuff. Be sure to look at the flintlocks I posted as well. I really appreciate the response you gave. Very thorough. Just help me help you! ha!