Author Topic: Help identify  (Read 2377 times)

Geminibuddy

Help identify
« on: December 10, 2014, 07:00:36 PM »
Unknown age, etc. I inherited. Any help is appreciated. Thanks-

galamb

Re: Help identify
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 09:02:27 AM »
Some close up pics/a few more may help but I'll give you the "first guess".

(if this is "original")

Based on the long foot of the forestock, the trigger guard and general butt shape/butt plate, I would suggest this is an Ohio built rifle which was typically produced in the 1840's/50's (although could be a little earlier).

The lock looks somewhat like a hardware store Goulcher lock that could have been produced by Eagle Gun Works (1844-1851), although many had "Goulcher" stamped/cast into the plate just forward of the screw fastening the hammer to the lock (but not always - and floral decorations on the lock were typical).

The side plate is the only thing that looks really "non-typical" for an Ohio of that period. It would be more at home on a rifle built a little further west (which is why I stated "if original" - because aside from that side plate, the rifle screams Ohio to me).

Offline RAT

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 07:05:41 PM »
The lock looks to be a replacement. There is a gap behind the tail and another a little ways in front of the drum. So the original lock was larger. The striped rod screams 1970's or 1980's to me, but if the gun is original the rod could also be a replacement.

If the gap in the wood in front of the lock exposes the bottom of the barrel inlet I wouldn't shoot it. If powder should get in there and collect behind the lock it could ignite and blow the lock off the gun. This is less likely since it's a percussion. It would be very likely if this was a flintlock.
Bob

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 07:42:10 PM »
If this is an original rifle I would have to agree that the lock mortice looks to be larger than the current lock which could be a replacement. Ram rods are an expendable item and I wouldn't put much thought into it. The stock, without seeing the cheek piece and comb appears to be of the Vincent style with the long nose and slim upper stock. There are some unmarked Vincents out there but there are also a number of rifles made up of Vincent parts. It's hard to tell from the limited pictures.
Mark
Mark