Author Topic: Longrifle storage question  (Read 2792 times)

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Longrifle storage question
« on: December 10, 2014, 09:04:58 PM »
I am wondering if someone with experience can address this question.  My gun safe has a golden rod
heating stick in it to reduce humidity.  Should I have the rifles in their gunsocks in the safe or not.  The safe
is subject to hot and cold, so would the socks wick away any moisture or draw more moisture to the rifles?
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Online Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Re: Longrifle storage question
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 12:08:12 AM »
I do not have a heat stick in my safe, probably should since the safe is in the basement. I personally think the guns should NOT be in a socks since IF the current failed for some reason the sock could collect moisture and cause rust where it touched the gun. We have power failures fairly frequently in our area.

The only advantage that I can think of for the sock is to possibly prevent a gun from contacting another when removing it. If your safe is like mine they jam the slots too close together to prevent contact when placing or removing guns. Ask me how I know!
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bill Paton

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 01:42:41 AM »
A friend had a serious house fire. His Kentuckys were in a basement gun safe. The smoke with all its out-gassed plastic residue got into the safe and coated  the guns with an extremely hard-to-remove plastic-based soot. The only guns not coated were in socks in the safe.
Kentucky double rifle student
wapaton.sr@gmail.com

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 05:12:59 AM »
I have for the last twenty years or so stored most of the Kentucky's in a case muzzle down in a safe. There is a heat wand in the bottom of the safe.
JIM

oakridge

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 06:15:10 AM »
I was always told to NEVER store a gun in a case of any kind. Maybe it's okay if you can keep the humidity low and at a constant level.