Author Topic: Jacob Kunz Pistols  (Read 3361 times)

Offline moleeyes36

Jacob Kunz Pistols
« on: December 12, 2014, 04:41:53 PM »
I originally posted this in the Gun Building section, but apparently no body had the answer to my questions.  Consequently, I figured I'd ask the folks that concentrate on antique guns. 

I'm considering taking a shot at building a pistol patterned after these Jacob Kunz pistols http://jamesdjulia.com/item/lot-1496-pair-of-philadelphia-jacob-kunz-1780-1876-signed-flintlock-pistols-48258/.  My questions are about the locks on these pistols.  They're both marked WARRANTED BY KONIGMACHER & CO which was a Philadelphia company from what I can find out.  Do you think Konigmacher made these locks?  To my untrained eye they look and awful lot like a Manton or another English lock to me.  Would it be possible that these are English locks that were just purchased by Konigmacher and then stamped WARRANTED BY KONIGMACHER & CO for resale?  Is this something commonly done back in the day?  Thanks.

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline JTR

• member 2
Re: Jacob Kunz Pistols
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 08:01:57 PM »
From Sellers American Gunsmiths;

Konigmacher A. Philadelphia Pa. 1807-1814. Chambersburg Pa. 1814-1821. Lockmaker only.

It doesn't say how he marked his locks, but I'd bet this is your guy.
John
John Robbins

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 08:27:21 PM »
I originally posted this in the Gun Building section, but apparently no body had the answer to my questions.  Consequently, I figured I'd ask the folks that concentrate on antique guns. 

I'm considering taking a shot at building a pistol patterned after these Jacob Kunz pistols http://jamesdjulia.com/item/lot-1496-pair-of-philadelphia-jacob-kunz-1780-1876-signed-flintlock-pistols-48258/.  My questions are about the locks on these pistols.  They're both marked WARRANTED BY KONIGMACHER & CO which was a Philadelphia company from what I can find out.  Do you think Konigmacher made these locks?  To my untrained eye they look and awful lot like a Manton or another English lock to me.  Would it be possible that these are English locks that were just purchased by Konigmacher and then stamped WARRANTED BY KONIGMACHER & CO for resale?  Is this something commonly done back in the day?  Thanks.

Mole Eyes

Not relating to these specific locks, some hardware dealers purchased locks in bulk and marked them warrented with their own name.
Kinda like when you buy a Maytag made by Whirlpool today.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 11:03:04 PM »
Thanks.  So based on this information the locks could have been made by Konigmacher or purchased, possibly from England, and resold marked warranted by him.

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2014, 01:16:37 AM »
Sellers says Lock maker only. I suppose meaning he didn't make guns. But says nothing regarding being a lock importer.
I don't know if you realize that there were literally hundreds if not thousands of lock makers in this country, and true, some imported locks and marked them with their name. Probably no way to know for sure, but I'd bet they had no qualms copying some other makers work.
I have about 40/50 original flint and percussion lock plates; none have the same name on them, and none are exactly the same size.

John
John Robbins