Author Topic: Berretta SP ??  (Read 5807 times)

Offline J Henry

Berretta SP ??
« on: December 13, 2014, 01:04:45 AM »
 I see a o/u,  cap lock, 12 gauge shotgun made by Barretta today ,, now that is some sweet looking shotgun . Ive seen sxs but never an o/u and never by Barretta...

Online D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: Berretta SP ??
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2014, 04:55:10 AM »
Beretta made an over/under percussion double in the seventies, I think.  Seen 'em, but never fired one.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2014, 12:17:07 PM »
These percussion o/u guns came out in the 1970,s here in the UK , they never really became popular mostly because of the price they were more expensive than a original sxs .Another fault with them was that the locks  parts were soft and needed re tempering and polishing also tuning in also the stocks were very plain wood .I bought a pair  and customised them  and have used them with little trouble since .
Feltwad

« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 12:21:21 PM by Feltwad »

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2014, 06:21:41 PM »
 The other problem with these guns is the lower barrel often has chronic ignition problems. Of the three I had brought to me for repairs, two had ignition issues that required reworking the flash channel, in the lower barrel breech plug area. I would not attempt to do this yourself, or take it to a questionable gunsmith.
 That being said, when these guns work they are excellent.

Hungry Horse

Offline Levy

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2014, 06:35:09 PM »
My Berretta O/U had problems with the bottom barrel  not going off too.  The hole in the flash channel wasn't lined up well with the bottom barrel.  Once we removed it and aligned it properly, it worked just fine.  One of my friends got a deal on a pile of these guns and was selling them to everyone for $200.  I couldn't afford to pass it up.  I was able to get a set of unfinished barrels for it too (second).

James Levy
James Levy

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2014, 09:04:15 PM »
Another problem with the bottom barrel was a gas leek  from the screw in vent which through time burnt a hole in the channel of the stock.
Feltwad

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2014, 11:35:05 PM »
The other problem with these guns is the lower barrel often has chronic ignition problems. Of the three I had brought to me for repairs, two had ignition issues that required reworking the flash channel, in the lower barrel breech plug area. I would not attempt to do this yourself, or take it to a questionable gunsmith.

Hungry Horse

One thing that can be done with such a design is bleed off a little gas from one of the barrels to unseat the loading rod to about 6"beyond the muzzle.

Bob Roller

wet willy

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2014, 11:35:50 PM »
I also have one. A sweet shotgun. Fine wood, nice locks, light-weight barrels. I'm about 5'9" and stock fits well. Owned and shot it for 40 years. Lower barrel is a problem: I used a drill bit in a hand chuck to open it up.

Tried musket cap/nipple (musket caps thought to provide more 'flame' than conventional #11 caps) Then tried super-cleaning/de-oiling flash channel with fizz can of brake drum cleaner. These remedies all worked to get 100% ignition in the lower barrel, but if you are hunting with it, be sure to do this routine before loading: snap several caps, especially on the lower barrel, and be certain you get a good flame from the muzzle. (My criteria is to sway the short grass/dried leafs at the muzzle.)

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2014, 12:09:27 AM »

Hungry Horse
I saw lots of guys try these at the skeet range at Friendship years ago. They rarely came back with them the next year. Nothing but trouble. I find the slide on barrel bands kinda wonky too.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2014, 02:06:39 AM »
I bought one when they came out as soon as I could I traded it off. I got a teepee and some boot. Then sold the teepee. Proud both are gone. Bought a Navy Arms Turkey and Trap to replace it. Killed a bunch of turkeys with it. Not a bad shotgun, but not nearly as much fun as a flint shotgun.