Author Topic: looking for round ball vender  (Read 5737 times)

Offline hortonstn

looking for round ball vender
« on: December 16, 2014, 02:48:31 AM »
when in friendship I purchased some round balls from flintlocks llc.
I need more they shot very accurate.
does any one have their contact info?
thanks paul

Offline Dave R

Re: looking for round ball vender
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 02:53:53 AM »
Flintlocks Inc  317-683-5102

Offline Natureboy

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 03:43:37 AM »
  Are they better than Hornaday?

Offline hortonstn

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 04:14:34 AM »
thank you, in my openion yes
maybe in my head but targets don't lie

« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 04:18:52 AM by hortonstn »

Offline Natureboy

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 05:12:56 AM »
  I've been shooting Hornaday balls, and I'm puzzled by the occasional "flyer" that I get.  Last Friday, I went to the range and a typical target looked like this:  out of 11 shots, 8 made a 1 1/2" hole at 50 yards, and three sailed an inch or two outside the main group.  I've taken the trouble of weighing them with an accurate scale, and found that 2 out of 20 were lighter by a tiny amount.  A bubble, maybe?  But all the ones I shot on Friday were exactly the same weight.  Maybe it's the nature of the round ball, but I'm wondering if the Flintlocks Inc balls are more accurate than that.  I know I'm not flinching.

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2014, 06:37:26 AM »
    Flintlocks LLC has been working on his website. Not much on it yet. His round balls are cast, but their
    Good. (lot cheaper than swaged ). Also has pre-cut patches with his own lube that are good!

Natureboy did you check your patches to see if any of them were blown ?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 06:42:37 AM by flinchrocket »

Offline Natureboy

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2014, 08:33:30 AM »
  Yes, I finally found some 7 oz denim that doesn't get totally shredded like the linen I had been using, and I was able to look at every one of them.  They were uniform and not blown out, no cutting and no burns.  I lubed them with "Mr. Flintlock" and cut at the muzzle for uniformity.  I don't see that being a problem.

Offline Maven

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 10:11:17 PM »
Here's another RB vendor:

Eddie May (round balls)
159 Ridley Rd.
Chatsworth, GA  30705
Tel.:  706-581-8225

Paul W. Brasky

maineguy

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2014, 05:36:53 PM »
I use Hornaday 490 round balls also and have been wondering bout their round balls

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2014, 09:39:25 PM »
Why wonder?  measure and weigh.  verify and know.

I suppose it's a little unfair of me, but that i came from a shooting background where i never shot factory-loaded suppositories (unless they were free and i wanted the brass).  SO i naturally have on hand the measuring tools to verify ball weights and sizes. 

Those are a powder scale and caliper.  I've not tried the electronic scales yet, but have sorted store-bought balls with the old 5/10 type balance scale.  It's something to do when not doing much.  BUT YES you'll find some variance in those ready-made balls.  I simply split them into heavy/light groups.

But then a guy gave me a lead pot, and I got some moulds AND NOW I sort my balls by appearance* and don't have to weigh anything and am completely satisfied with performance on target and game.

*anything that doesn't look right goes right back into pot. I don't weigh or measure as a rule anymore.

I do use round ball vendors (not the big ones) to supply me with starter sizes, that way i don't have to buy two moulds when learning a new gun.  And if i ever grow weary of casting or short on time I'll ring 'em up for a few more.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 09:46:57 PM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

jamesthomas

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2014, 02:57:48 AM »
 I make my own, have around 200lbs. of pure lead to make Round balls, I weigh and keep them within 1 grn. of each other, once you get the equipment you can recover your money real easy, paying $20.00 a 100 is to much for me, plus the trip to the store etc. If I was ya'll I would at least get them from Eddie May etc., I believe he charges around $8.00 a 100 for .490's.