Author Topic: Help in Identifying Maker "B. Fox"  (Read 5028 times)

Offline Wishbone

• Starting Member
  • Be Humble - Don't Stumble
Help in Identifying Maker "B. Fox"
« on: December 17, 2014, 04:40:39 AM »
I'm in the process of acquiring a southern style iron mounted flintlock, with the name "B. Fox" stamped in the barrel.  It is a very well made longrifle, and I am interested in learning about the individual who made it.  I haven't identified the lock or barrel maker yet, as I don't have the rifle yet in my possession.  The barrel has the name "B. Fox" stamped in it.  Ia anyone familiar with B. Fox?  I believe it is a newer rifle, as the touch-hole has a vent liner installed, and the trigger guard and butplate appear to be cast.  It is a .45 caliber rifled barrel which appears to not be tapered or swamped. 

Anyone on this forum familiar with B. Fox? 

Picture at:  https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B19Vus9hKEycZXcyYU5kUlBqajg/view?usp=sharing

Wishbone

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Help in Identifying Maker "B. Fox"
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 05:06:49 AM »
Very recently built gun, probably post 1980's. Looks like an L&R Durrs Egg lock. Don't know who B. Fox is.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 03:22:35 PM »
I'm in the process of acquiring a southern style iron mounted flintlock, with the name "B. Fox" stamped in the barrel.  It is a very well made longrifle, and I am interested in learning about the individual who made it.  I haven't identified the lock or barrel maker yet, as I don't have the rifle yet in my possession.  The barrel has the name "B. Fox" stamped in it.  Ia anyone familiar with B. Fox?  I believe it is a newer rifle, as the touch-hole has a vent liner installed, and the trigger guard and butplate appear to be cast.  It is a .45 caliber rifled barrel which appears to not be tapered or swamped. 

Anyone on this forum familiar with B. Fox? 

Picture at:  https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B19Vus9hKEycZXcyYU5kUlBqajg/view?usp=sharing

Wishbone

Let's see the lock side of this rifle.I am thinking it may be an Eder lock.

Bob Roller

Offline Wishbone

• Starting Member
  • Be Humble - Don't Stumble
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 04:16:39 PM »
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B19Vus9hKEycdW5IVzVPTWZ6U1U/view?usp=sharing

Link to a photo of the lock.

Appreciate any help.

Wishbone

Offline elk killer