Author Topic: Most popular longrifle  (Read 6674 times)

andy49

Most popular longrifle
« on: December 17, 2014, 04:27:33 AM »
I would like to get some opinions on what longrifle is the most popular today? What school and what specs within these schools as barrel profile, weight, caliber and length. I am getting filled up with pistols and would like to try a flint rifle build.
Thanks
Andy

Offline Nordnecker

Re: Most popular longrifle
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 04:49:45 AM »
Hmmm. The most popular. I don't know. Maybe someone who sells kits would tell you his best selling kit. But what difference does it make? Personally, I'd rather have something that everybody else doesn't have.

"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline blackbruin

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 04:57:00 AM »
My guess would be a Lancaster, but for me though the "sexiest? Is a full blown Lehigh which can  be hard to get right....although than there's bucks co..... That's my opinion but what do I know.

Offline Angus

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 04:57:27 AM »
Andy,
That's a great curiousity question. I want to build what makes me happy, happy, happy!

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 05:00:24 AM »
When I first started in the early 80's Hawken rifles were on the way out and iron mounted Tennessee rifles were very popular. Now I'd say anything goes with a lean towards Pre Rev war rifles. That being said, I build alot of fowling guns (always have). English, New England and English and French trade level guns, all with long barrels (46" plus). At least 1/3rd of my work are rifles, which run the whole gamut of styles and time periods.

NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline RAT

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 05:53:34 PM »
Looking from the outside as a customer... it seems the re-enacting market made 1750's-1780's Pennsylvania guns quite popular during the 1990's-today.

For the future... with more books hitting the market lately featuring southern guns (Kentucky Gunmakers by Shelby Gallien & North Carolina Schools of Longrifles by William Ivey) this trend might shift. If Wallace Gusler ever finishes his book on Virginia guns I can see a lot of gunmakers moving in that direction.
Bob

andy49

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 06:31:26 PM »
I know very little about the various schools and that was the reason for my question. (A place to start studying)
I have heard from builders that the Virginia rifles seem to be increasing in popularity.
Andy

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 05:20:03 AM »
I know very little about the various schools and that was the reason for my question. (A place to start studying)
I have heard from builders that the Virginia rifles seem to be increasing in popularity.
Andy

Hey Andy, I've been here on and off again since 2008 and I'm yet on the steep part of the learning curve.  Methinks it best to learn just enough to pick a school or region and then sink your teeth into that one for a few years, see where that leads you.  You'll get plenty of exposure to other areas even with that focus.  I can look at the same guns now as I did in my first year or two--and see so much more each time.  You just can't absorb it _all_ at once, so don't forget to go back over prior studies and reference every now and then.  Your focus will change somewhat and the same materials/photos will show you more than before.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 02:54:57 AM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2014, 03:28:36 PM »
I agree with Wade. I've only been here about a year and I didn't know squat. I've spent hours just browsing in the ALR library. For some reason, the later guns appeal to me.
While watching The American Revolution on the history channel lately, I notice details on those guns that I'm not used to seeing; Wide brass bands around the barrels, Barrels that stick out past the wood 3 or 4 inches, etc. The ramrods look like metal with flaired ends.
I was a little suspect of the details of one story wherein the woman of the house was forced to feed the Redcoats her turkey. She attempted to get them drunk, and shuffled their guns out the door. She only kept one of them inside.
She shot one of the Brits and held the others at gunpoint. They must have been frozen with terror while she pointed the empty gun at them.
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline little joe

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 06:09:51 PM »
Have been at this 40 yrs and have saw the Hawken craze,Tennessee, Tulle,smooth rifle,ect. Personally I like the Mark Silver rifle on Contemporary Makers blog. Early lines, a little carving and hand made hardware Pick your desire and have a good time building it.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2014, 01:14:22 AM »
Why are you interested in what is most popular?  Is it because you are likely going to sell it later, and want to ensure there's a market?  Or do you wish to 'fit in', or what?  Just curious to hear your philosophy.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2014, 03:12:51 PM »
I agree with Wade. I've only been here about a year and I didn't know squat. I've spent hours just browsing in the ALR library. For some reason, the later guns appeal to me.
While watching The American Revolution on the history channel lately, I notice details on those guns that I'm not used to seeing; Wide brass bands around the barrels, Barrels that stick out past the wood 3 or 4 inches, etc. The ramrods look like metal with flaired ends.
I was a little suspect of the details of one story wherein the woman of the house was forced to feed the Redcoats her turkey. She attempted to get them drunk, and shuffled their guns out the door. She only kept one of them inside.
She shot one of the Brits and held the others at gunpoint. They must have been frozen with terror while she pointed the empty gun at them.

That's Hollyweird at its best. We all now know the Civil War was fought with Model 92 Winchesters and Colt single action pistols by men wearing Spanish American war uniforms.

Bob Roller