Author Topic: New Oleans event that some may like to visit  (Read 3745 times)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline T*O*F

Re: New Oleans event that some may like to visit
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2014, 01:49:55 AM »
Thanks for that.  I'm going down there next Wed and staying thru Sat.
Hopefully we can find time in the holiday festivities to make a visit.
If not, we'll be going back in Jan.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

4th La.

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 06:38:42 AM »
To all who enjoy weapons and military history, and who will be down in the New orleans area for the Bicetennial celebration of the battle. The Jackson Barracks museum is located just a mile or two down the highway headed West from the Chalmette Battlefield. This exhibit will have the John Jacob Sheetz rifle used by William Ross member of Capt. Thomas Beale's Company Of New Orleans Riflemen at the battle. This rifle is fully documented and for the first time will be displayed with a painting of the original owner William Ross provided by his decendants. Also a Brown Bess 3rd Mod. musket marked to the British 7th Regt. Foot, this unit went directly up against Beale's riflemen. Original Baker rifle , and rare Baker rifled carbine. Virginia Powder horn and bag carried at the battle, British 6lb cannon that was left by the British on the battlefield. Other weapons,original documents. This will be the first time these items will be together on public display. The museum is quite a nice facility, with great staff. The permanent displays runs the full spectrum from flintlocks to static displays of artillery, B-26, F-100, F-4. I could go on and on. New Orleans is noted for the Great D-Day museum and rightly so. But please do yourself a favor if down in the area in conjunction with the re-enactment of the battle or just a visit to THE BIG EASY, make a visit to the Jackson Barracks Museum. The exhibit runs from December 22nd thru May 22nd. And addmission is Free .
I have included links for other activity in conjunction with the Bicentennial of the battle:

http://neworleans1815.cottonbaler.com/Calendar.html

www.lalivinghistory.org

"YA'LL  COME"

« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 07:34:29 PM by 4th La. »

4th La.

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 06:50:33 AM »
I forgot to mention also on last post, there will be the installation of the Historical Marker dedicated to the Kentucky Rifle near the entrance to the Battlefield. This marker was sponsered by the KRA Foundation. So please visit the marker also.
Installation of the marker will be the same day as the exhibit opening Dec. 22nd

oakridge

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 09:43:20 PM »
Thanks! I'll get out to see the exhibit after the first of the year.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2015, 02:51:55 AM »
I was able to visit the museum yesterday and have some pictures that I will upload when I get a chance.  We just got home this evening.  We had the whole museum to ourselves, but about 1/2 way thru our visit, the curator came out and we spoke with him for five minutes or so.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson