Author Topic: Good chance for you deep south folks to see an original John Shetz rifle  (Read 3354 times)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
For those of you in the deep south that have been wanting a chance to see an original flint VA longrifle, you may be interested in attending this display. It starts Dec 22 and continues to May 22, 2015.

http://geauxguardmuseums.com/defending-the-bayou/

If you have questions I am sure "4th La." will be glad to answer them for you. He is the one that sent this info to me for posting in our events section

Please post this information I have forwarded to you on the forum ,on this exhibit at the Louisiana National Guard Museum. This is a fantastic museum with every thing from Artillery to B 26 bombers and F- 4 fighters.
This special display is to celebrate the Bicentennial of the Battle Of New Orleans.
The Display will include the John Jacob Sheetz rifle used by William Ross who was a member of Thomas Beales Company of New Orleans Riflemen at the battle. Also a 3rd Mod. Brown Bess marked to the British 7th Regt. Foot, this unit was engaged directly against Beales troops on the far right of Line Jackson.
Also on display an original British Baker rifle and bayonet, original Baker carbine, Sabers, documents, a British cannon recovered from the battlefield. Also an original Virginia bag and Horn with contents that was carried at the Battle by an ancestor of Peter Ellsworth Cornwell. Along with numerous other weapons and items of the peroid.This Exhibit is dedicated to the Citizen Soldier of that time, our first National Guard .
The Museum is just a mile or two up the road from the battlefield, The opening will be on the same day as the dedication of the Kentucky Rifle Foundation Historic Marker to the Kentucky Rifle and its use at the battle. The Marker will be close to the entrance to Chalmette Battlefield. 

Dennis
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 10:19:33 PM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

galamb

Re: Good chance for you deep south folks to see an original John Shetz rifle
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 05:27:53 AM »
If I was close enough I would definitely check this out.

The Sheetz rifle built for Ross (at some point prior to January of 1815 when it was used in New Orleans) is not what many of us think of as a "typical" Golden Age rifle.

It has a 42" barrel (ok, that's typical) but it's a 38 caliber with a 1:36 twist. (might be a tapered barrel - don't remember that particular detail off the top of my head).

In any event, it is a fine looking rifle - great example of a Shenandoah/Virginia Golden Age rifle, just a very fast twist for what most of us consider "normal or typical".

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 07:47:55 AM »
The barrel of the John Jacob Sheetz is tapered and flared, 38 cal with the fast twist. Ed Rayl duplicated the barrel that was used in the Documentary copy that Darrin and I did for the CLA auction last year. This is a grand rifle and well worth the effort to go see it. The museum has really put together a great display on the battle, so in addition to the Sheetz rifle there is a very educational display of the events that surround this important part of the struggle that created our great country.

A special thanks to one of our ALR members, Robert Melancon and his lovely wife Linda for allowing the museum to display not only the Sheetz rifle but many other battle of New Orleans items from their collection.

Another point of interest is a bronze plaque that is being dedicated about the use of the Kentucky in the Battle of New Orleans that was sponcered with donations by the KRF and many of the KRA and ALR members.

I would like to say thanks to Bob and Linda and the KRF and to all that have supported this effort. Celeste
and I are making the trip down in early January to see this historic display. I hope that everyone that can will make the trip and enjoy the display.

Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 10:37:41 PM »
It starts Dec 22 and continues to May 22, 2015.
We tried to visit it on the 26th.  Unfortunately it was closed.  I guess I don't understand why they would hold the opening ceremonies on the 22nd and then close for the holidays.

Going back down in two weeks.  Hopefully it will be open then.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Darrin McDonal

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2015, 11:28:33 PM »
I too am going to try go get down and participate in the 200th anniversary of the battle of New Orleans. It won't be easy but I h ate to miss it. Not to mention to see Wm Ross's rifle again.
Darrin
Apprentice Gunsmith
Colonial Williamsburg
Owner of Frontier Flintlocks