Author Topic: Some things just stick with a fella  (Read 5602 times)

Offline Dan

Some things just stick with a fella
« on: December 21, 2014, 07:39:12 AM »
Several years ago a lovely light well balanced flintlock came along and I renewed my affair with muzzle loaders after a theft induced hiatus. It is a .45 long rifle built by J. Turpin an my first experience with a flintlock. Suffice to say it taught me many things.

I've never shot it from a rest so there is no telling what it might be capable of, but it carries easy, mounts well and by the time we were well acquainted it would routinely put 5 balls in a 2" cluster at 50 yards while I stood on my hind legs.

One thing led to another and before I knew it there were a variety of muzzleloading rifles in the locker. A more recent acquisition was a bench target gun of the type often referred to as a slug gun, or some call them bullet guns. It came with a cautionary note that suggested having a slug gun was akin to having 25 wives. That is true.

Couple of weeks ago I took a friend to the range, a bow hunter who has recently taken to rifles. On a whim I took along the Turpin rifle just to see if I could draw him to the dark side. It had been about 2 years since I had taken ol' #107 out for a stroll.  We still put 5 in a 2" wad at 50.

Maybe I'll keep this one.

Dan

PS:  I may have been a bad influence on my buddy.  It depends if you ask him or his wife.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
Re: Some things just stick with a fella
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 09:26:54 PM »
Nice.

I sent my re-entry into BP rifle packing to a friend who had left the immediate area and moved fairly close to Tip Curtis.  It was a T/C capper and my friend found the internet so informative that he had to have a "round ball" barrel for it*.  I kept trying to get him to visit Tip.  He finally did.

Tip sold him the "proper twist" drop-in bbl for his gun and BUT more importantly he got to peruse the dozens of built rifles of many schools that are normally on display there.  

BUT DANGIT, he's more committed to work (preacher) and wife than some of us, and he's not been shooting at all.  I has exposed him to the possibilities though.  

I know he never shot the fast twist bbl (which worked fine for me) and don't think he's shot the slow twister either.  

That's 'my first story.

The next one--The rifle i built last year, dropped an excellent buck for my best pal this year.  HE will likely get a flinter with a long bbl real soon (or as soon as his 3 girls get out of college).
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 02:45:55 AM by Ky-Flinter »
Hold to the Wind

Offline Daryl

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 11:12:48 PM »
Some don't stay with you, but should have.  I'd give my left testicle to get this one back. A .58 S. Hawken made by Taylor in 1977, I think it was. Large V-accurate. Most of my shooting then was at 100yards. I only shot at 25 yards when shooting grouse.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 11:14:33 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Tony N

• Rabbit Hash,Ky
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2014, 03:14:09 AM »
There's some crazy pants!!

~Tony

Offline Daryl

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2014, 09:54:59 PM »
So are the burns! LOL. Timeline - 1977/78.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2014, 03:45:23 AM »
Good thing those are B&W photos  :P

Next!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 03:45:56 AM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline Dan

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2014, 03:16:07 PM »
Well, OK...no burns, baggy pants and a bad attitude.  Sorry it's the wrong kind of hardware.

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2014, 03:47:01 AM »
Some things stick with you, but those plaid polyester pants stick to you. You couldn't wear them out. My uncle had a pair my aunt made him leave at the hunting camp. It was the only positive thing that came out of the cabin burning down.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline Dan

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2014, 04:24:46 AM »
Laughin..........a lot.   ;D

Offline Kermit

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2014, 09:22:14 AM »
There's some crazy pants!!

Something approximating proper Scottish trews? Close, but...
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2014, 07:21:38 PM »
Had a pair o them plaid poly-ester pant,sideburns,too,many moon ago.The pants were my "smoking" pants til a couple seeds buned thru to certain parts,and really got my attention.Had em cut off to bermuda shorts,which I wore with engineer boots and a verticle striped shirt,also with birdshot holes.Happy New Year y'all   Dave ;D