Author Topic: Ferguson rifle  (Read 23044 times)

Offline Ezra

Ferguson rifle
« on: February 19, 2009, 11:34:06 PM »
Hey guys,

What was the barrel length on the original Ferguson rifles?  If it varied, what was most common? 

Also, has anyone ever had a rifle built by the folks at the Rifle Shoppe?  If so are/were you happy with it? 

Ez
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"

Offline rallen

Re: Ferguson rifle
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 02:26:17 AM »
The Ferguson rifle had a 34" .65 cal barrel tapered round barrel. Cpt Patrick Ferguson had about 100 of them made for his company. They first saw action at the Battle of Brandywine Creek. In the archives, I think there was someone who had a special interest in the Ferguson rifle. I know the quality of TRS's parts, but don't know anything about TRS's components for that rifle.
Ryan

Offline Ezra

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 03:00:08 AM »
Thanks rallen.

Ez

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 03:24:35 AM »
TRS farms the jobs out. It depends on who builds the gun. Ron Scott built one I think.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

bryanbrown

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 04:39:22 AM »
 Built mine from TRS parts, no complaints at all.  Though if you assemble the lock yourself it is a bit tricky the design is about 17 degrees off from other locks I have built.

If you get the bayonet you will end up making a reamer to get it to fit the barrel from casting crud inside the bayonet.  Sandpaper just took to long

Here is a series of posts from a buddy of mine on our research on the care and feeding of Ferguson's Breechloading Ordinance Rifle

http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/230805/tp/1/

Grizz and I do a series of lectures/Demos on them here in the South East
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 04:53:10 AM by bryanbrown »

Offline rtadams

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 05:38:13 AM »
2-19-09

The following message displays when I attempt to enter the Link provided:

There was a problem loading this page:

Your permission set does not allow you to be here.

Use your browsers Back Button to return to the previous page

What am I doing incorrectly? Used the provided link to view the research, care and feeding of Ferguson's Breechloading Ordiance Rifle.

Best Regards,

Offline Ezra

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 07:07:34 AM »
2-19-09

What am I doing incorrectly? Used the provided link to view the research, care and feeding of Ferguson's Breechloading Ordiance Rifle.

Ditto

Ez

Offline Ron Scott

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 06:15:11 PM »
I did build a Sporting Ferguson last year. However the action was made up by a fellow in Montana who has been doing it for many years. I`d have to do some looking to find his contact info. His machine work was very fine. The threads were precise and tight. One of the common features of a mediocre Ferguson Breech is gas leakage through the threads.

Offline Ezra

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2009, 06:28:07 PM »
I did build a Sporting Ferguson last year. However the action was made up by a fellow in Montana who has been doing it for many years. I`d have to do some looking to find his contact info. His machine work was very fine. The threads were precise and tight. One of the common features of a mediocre Ferguson Breech is gas leakage through the threads.

That would be very helpful information to add to my growing database if you come across it Ron.

Ez

Daryl

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2009, 06:42:54 PM »
Here's one Taylor cobbled together for a fellow in Belgium.  I don't know who made the barreled action. It shot well and leaked little.

Offline Ezra

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2009, 06:49:09 PM »
Taylors cobbling skills are impressive... ;D

Ez 

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2009, 07:18:21 PM »
Thanks Ezra.  This one came from TRS parts - took two years to get them all, and they never did send the tapered ramrod I paid for.  The stock is English walnut, inlet perfectly.  The gun was a piece of cake to make, and it was lots of fun to shoot.  The iron sights that came already installed on the barrel were tack on at 100 meters.
The fellow who owns it has since retruned from Belgium and now lives in Vancouver BC.  I don't think that he's shot it yet.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2009, 07:44:19 PM »
Yes, he does "cobble" VERY well indeed doesn't he!   ;)
"This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation"

Offline Ezra

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2009, 07:49:44 PM »
Thanks Ezra.  This one came from TRS parts - took two years to get them all, and they never did send the tapered ramrod I paid for. 

Hey Taylor,

Just an FYI for you and the boys, I spoke with the guy at TRS yesterday and he told me he had just got in some Ferguson actions.  FWIW.

Ez

• Member 3
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2009, 07:56:11 PM »
When I bought mine, the action was already attached to the barrel, and all was polished.  The sights were installed too, which I did not expect, so i now have an extra set of Ferguson sights.  If you were top purchase their Ferguson set, you would not be disappointed, though you'd be broke.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2009, 08:01:22 PM »
Taylor.
 Are you broke?
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline Ezra

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2009, 08:02:26 PM »
though you'd be broke.

Story of my life Taylor... ;)

Ez

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2009, 09:25:12 PM »
I may be mistaken; but I thought the threads are rounded root and crest. Is the thread tapered, like pipe thread? The more you screw it in, the tighter it gets(like you could adjust for wear), or is it a straight thread?
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2009, 08:11:15 PM »
Hi Acer,
Below are some photos of an ordnance version of the Ferguson that I built a while ago.  The first photo may give you an idea of the breech and threads.  The entire breech plug tapers slightly and the threads are rounded a little top and bottom.  Ezra, the TRS Ferguson is a good part set.  My only complaint is (as I learned from folks on this board) that TRS reduced the volume of the breech so it takes less powder than the original.  I wish they had not done that so I could experiment with the historical loads and procedures for shooting the gun. My breech does leak a little gas but the gun shoots well overall.  I built my version from plans sold by TRS and used a stock blank of English walnut rather than buy the precarved stock.  It was not a difficult project although drilling the breech hole in the expensive walnut stock, knowing you cannot salvage it if you screw up, was a bit frightening.  On the bright side, however, after drilling the hole successfully, I had a great excuse to celebrate with a good tot of scotch.

dave

"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2009, 08:55:59 PM »
2-19-09

Best Regards,

I tried the link with the same results.  To view the link you must have an ID and password and log into their site.  Once you are logged in, click on the link in the ALR post and you will get in.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

bryanbrown

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2009, 07:24:02 PM »
You actually have to register with the Muzzleloader forum to be able to read the stuff.  Sorry I should have mentioned that earlier

• Member 3
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2009, 07:39:02 PM »
Dave, that's a very respectable Ferguson.  You did very well to not only capture the military styling, but added a better fit and finish than many of the originals, I think.  It seems to me, that mine would swallow 65 grains of FFg, and it was very pleasant to shoot.  I build a little brass "lever" so that once I rolled a ball into the chamber, I seated it well with the lever through the top of the breech.  This gave me a uniform volume of powder since the ball was always hard up against the 'throat' of the rifling, in spite of fowling.  It wasn't PC but worked like a @!*%.
No Jerry, I'm far from broke.  I have much to be thankful for in many ways.  Thanks for calling me on that.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2009, 08:04:27 PM »
Thank you Taylor,
I have been in awe of your version for some time.  The Ferguson is special to me because I grew up near Morristown, NJ and knew about the Ferguson in the historical museum there since I was 10 years old.  I was always fascinated by it.  When TRS came out with the part set I couldn't resist building a copy (sort of).  I did finish it a bit nicer than the originals.  The metal is tarnished from use. I also made a ball pusher and use it to seat the ball but I cannot get more than 55-60 grains of powder in the chamber with a 0.648 ball without a lot of spill over into the threads.  I wonder if TRS changed the dimensions after you made yours.  I measured the chamber length and it is quite a bit shorter than the length shown in Ferguson's patent drawings.  I tried using a greased 0.615 ball suggested by Bryan Brown but I cannot shoot a good group with it compared to the 0.648.

Thanks again Taylor,

dave   
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

bryanbrown

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2009, 02:11:30 AM »

The documentation from Narragansett and a number of other sources on the caliber of the Ferguson rifle is wrong.  They should not shoot a .645-.648 ball, they were designed for standard British Carbine ball .615.  With the carbine ball they drop in just fine, rifle becomes a tack driver too.
You can verify this in Dewitt Bailieys Rifles in the British Army

With .615 ball and Fergielube Ricky Roberts and I have tested up to 48 rounds with out a failure to fire.  Only reason we stopped at 48 ball is that the ammo we had. Ricky has repeated this feat on multiple occasions. Our formula for Fergielube is 2 parts beeswax, one part Crisco.  We dip the balls in beeswax to lube them as well, helps to maintain the capillary action forcing the crud to the notch that sets as the rear of the firing chamber.

bryanbrown

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2009, 02:37:17 AM »
Here are some tib-bits from Ricky's posts over on the Traditional Muzzleloading Forum  It is rather long, my apologies if I am breaking any rules  reposting

02-16-09 23:24 PM - Post#681669     
    In response to grzrob

OK Thanks Jethro!!!!! Now the story of the picture.
This was early in my research about 3 years ago.
The backwards hat is not a fashion statement! You will notice the hat has a solid back no open space for the snap. This is to keep the heat off my fore head! I later found out that the only usefull purpose for a tri corn hat it to deflect the heat off your head! You do not want a wide brim hat to reflect the heat pouring out of the breach in a clockwise motion! I have since learned that a wide brim can be used if it is pulled down close to your eyebrows! The heat will not burn you but it is HOT!
You will also notice the orange cone of fire pouring out of the muzzle. The Ferguson shoots an undersized ball so the gas will pour out around the ball before it exits the barrel. The Ferguson had very deep groves. The ball just barely rides
in the deep groves. This gives a place for the fouling to gather. As a result I have shot my Ferguson up to 48 rounds without fouling up the bore. Round 48 is just as accurate as round 1.
Three times I have gone to the range with just 48 balls! One of these days I will try over 50 rounds! This fine picture was taken by my Friend
and Ferguson Rifle research cohort Bryan Brown.
You can also see most of the powder flask I made
for the rifle. Most of the time I am demonstrating the Ferguson Rifle I am in proper 18th century garb. None of the pictures I have in proper costume are near this good! This is me in my native costume. If I was not shooting the Ferguson my hat would not be on backwards!!!

You folks are in for it now, Jethro done showed this cave man how to post pictures!

02-17-09 10:07 AM - Post#681783     
    In response to MSW

If you can adjust to the hold under sight picture
of a rifle with the fixed sight at 200 yards, it is very accurate. To hit a small gong at 40 yards
I have to hold about 10 inches under the target.Of course this weapon was designed to hit man sized targets, not small gongs. Due to the short chamber of my rifle the fixed sight impacts at 160 yards. The leaf sight is pretty much dead on at 300 yards. It is perfect for 18th century open field warfare. Taking out soldiers at 200 yards sharpshooters taking out cannon crews at 300 yards. Ferguson placed his rifles in the British Light Infantry who did not fight in the open field.
On the 48 rounds the rifle was still cooking when I ran out of ball ( at 48 rounds )
Twice I have been to events where I did a 10 round live fire demonstration. I then loaded and
let 20 folks fire the rifle. After this I would take the rifle on an 18 round woods walk! No matter how I shuffle these numbers I always come up with 48! I hope to get my act together and break the 48 barrier this year. I can't load any of my muzzle loaders 48 times without cleaning
a couple of times during the span. 48 accurate shots without cleaning ain't bad for the 18th century! I will drag out my camera and Ferguson and take some close ups of the screw breach.

02-17-09 22:38 PM - Post#682128     
    In response to Hawken12

It has a real dark oil stain like the originals. That was me at the Spring Shoot last year. The two fellows below me kind of aiming up hill were shooting at a pig silly-wet at 300 yards! I had hoped to be able to move a couple of the 4 foot bears out to 300 but this did not come to pass.
The pigs were about a foot tall and 2:1/2 feet long. We did not actually hit the pig but most of the shots would have hit the bigger bear target.
The fellow with the blue shirt missed the pig by an inch or two low! We are talking about shooting
a round ball, from a flintlock with a military trigger pull, offhand at 300 yards! In the 45 minutes of time I had to work with we shot about 38 rounds before the clock ran down. One of the modern shooters watching the demo noticed that during the string of shots we had fired over the 45 minutes, we did not clean the rifle even once!
I doubt I will be doing this at Friendship again
There is just no good place to set up my demonstration at Friendship. If I take the Ferguson to Friendship I will just shoot it behind the blockhouse one afternoon. Just for grins.

02-18-09 11:45 AM - Post#682292     
    In response to grzrob

I forgot the important part, melt the substance in a small cup and dip your cleaned breach threads
in the wax. I ususually prop up the breach, top
side down on a paper plate or slab of clean wood
if at an out door event.

02-18-09 18:51 PM - Post#682450     
    In response to grzrob

The story is not over yet! After I went to the range with the tallow and proper .615 ball, after a few shots the bore would foul up and the accuracy would go down the tubes. Mind you that in 1776 Patrick Ferguson shot close to 50 rounds
in his famous demonstration in front of the King.
So my work was not over. I got to thinking.....back in the day when I loaded lead bullets in my handgun cartridges, the lead bullets always had a grease ring or two to keep the bore slick and avoid rapid lead fouling.
You can't run naked lead balls down a rifled barrel with out grease of some kind.
So the next time I melted the tallow for the breach, I took a pair of tweezers and dipped the .615 balls in the tallow also. When I went back to the range the next time, with this tallowed breach and ball, my Ferguson Rifle
became the 1776 assault rifle just like Ferguson's rifle back then. That is when the fun started. I have dipped the balls in pure bees wax
and this works pretty good.
When I post tomorrow I will discuss the most pain in the arse aspect of the Ferguson rifle!!!

02-19-09 17:00 PM - Post#682875     
    In response to Hawken12

Well folks I have mentioned the high points ( rate of fire, accuracy and the non fouling ) so just to be fair I will now show you the warts!!!!
After I had the shooting part figured out, then I Had to figure out how to clean the dang thing! Dang near all of the shine goes off the penny when you get to this stage! Black powder, lead and tallow combine for the nastiest fouling you will see in a gun!
When I got the Ferguson home I went to the internet and typed in Ferguson Rifle. This one fellow said to clean it using solvent soaked patches ( about a 100 ) and 45 minutes of elbow grease. He was dead right about the patches and grease. So for the next two months I tested different cleaning methods. All kinds of vile chemical concoctions ( I wished this site had spell check! ) I got the time down to 20 minutes and 50 patches. I could not imagine a whole company of riflemen having to clean in this way.
There had to be a better way. I was at King's Mountain national Park with Bryan and he suggested using boiling hot water. I had used water before but not boiling hot. The Ferguson Rifle's barrel is held in by captive barrel wedges. It is easy to remove the barrel take out the single lock screw, the tang screw and the forward sling mount screw. Then you run into another problem. When you take the barrel out of a muzzle loader you just grab the muzzle and lift it out of the stock. If you do this with a Ferguson you will split the stock in two due to the breach that runs all the way through the rifle. The best way I have found is to turn the rifle up side down with the barrel resting on your knee. Gently tap the breach with a wooden mallet and the barrel will fall out of the stock.
On you lap ( you should be setting down for this! )
So I took out the barrel and rested the muzzle on a flat board and the tang screw in a notch on a tree. Bryan boiled up a half gallon of water So I poured the very hot water down the barrel from the breach end. The first lesson I learned is how fast a cold barrel will heat up when you are pouring boiling water through it!

When the water first exits the muzzle it is the nastiest looking black mess you have ever seen!
You keep pouring and the water will come out clean! I have the breach and lock on another flat board and I pour the super hot water on them. I also have to level the barrel and pour down the breach. The lock cleans right up, the barrel will be good but you still have to wire brush the screw breach itself and run tight patches through the breach itself to get the gunk out of there.
A few solvent soaked patches will clean the barrel now. Mopst everything is ready for the Balistol now except....The actual breach plug of the rifle ends at the back of the screw breach.
I do not understand why they did not have the actual breach tapped at the same time they tapped the screw breach threads. They did not so the actual breach is flat kind of in a shallow hole.
You will need to have a small 45 degree tool and clean this area because it is subject to draw rust! So now Thanks to Bryan, I can clean the Ferguson in 15 minutes and about 15 patches.
You guys still want one?????

So I have showed the positive and negitive, why did the British not support Patrick Ferguson
rifle program? You can't use the excuse "because the British did not use rifles in there battle plan".

The British had around 1200 model 1776 Tower rifles over here. 800 of them were delivered before the first Ferguson was produced.

The Jaeger riflemen had over a thousand of there own rifles and some issue rifles.

When the British won a battle or skirmish, The captured American rifles were given to Loyalist
Rifle companies.

So the British did use rifles.

My thoughts on why the Ferguson was not adopted for the British.

1. Cost. The Ferguson rifle cost 4 pounds to make. A Brown Bess cost 1 pound. They had bean counters in 1776 also.

2. The Ferguson rifle has a weak stock where the massive breach passes through the wood. All of the original Ferguson rifles in US museums have repairs in this area. Ferguson Ordinance rifle # 2
the one he demonstrated in front of the king, the one now in the tower of London, had a repair in this area. 18th century soldiers were very rough with their firelocks. When in formation the British liked to slam the butts of their muskets on the ground to make the ground shake! They were
trained to used their muskets as a club, battering ram and bayonet paltform. The Ferguson Rifle was too delicate for the Army! I have been shooting mine for several years now. I treat it like I treat my squirrel gun!

3. Tallow. Each rifle had to have tallow on the threads and ball to operate. The vision of Ferguson running through the British camp the night before Brandywine scrounging all of the tallow he could find, still troubles me. Something is wrong with this picture!

4. Cleaning. 1/2 gallon of boiling water per rifle. When Patrick Ferguson started this project
he wanted 200 rifles for his unit. When Lord Townsend seen the prototype rifle he suggest they buy hundreds of them. Let say Lord Townsend's plan was adopted. Lets say they produced 500 Ferguson Breach loading rifles. That adds uo to 250 gallons of boiling water to clean these rifles.
250 gallons of boiling water in the 18th century?

5. The breach opens up after one full turn. If you slip up and make two turns the breach falls out on the ground. You now have a pike. The breaches were hand fitted to the rifle, they were not interchangable.

This pretty much concludes the information in my article, and is by far my longest post! I have to go rest my two index fingers now!!