Author Topic: Double barreled percussion rifle question  (Read 6215 times)

Offline Glenn Hurley Jr.

Double barreled percussion rifle question
« on: December 24, 2014, 05:40:15 AM »
I was in a local gunshop today when a man walked in with a rifle which I,had never seen before.  It was a percussion rifle with two locks and two barrels which were stacked on top of each other.  The barrels didn't swivel but we're solidly in place, one lock presumably would fire the upper barrel and the other the lower.  It had a patchbox similar to,that seen on Hawken rifles with two inlays on the right side.  There was a cheekpiece on the left side with a small inlay on the cheekpiece and two others on the left side.  The buttplate was narrow with a severe radius of curvature.  All of the inlays appeared to be German silver.  There was a very slender front sight and the rear sight was open and was adjustable.  Both barrels,were rifled and appeared to be approximately 32 caliber.  Triggers were double,set and according to the owner both worked.  The stock was slender.  The top flat of the barrel was signed although the last name was illegible.  The first initial was S but you could not read the last name.  The owner of,the rifle didn't have a clue as to its value and sold it to the shop owner.  I think if it had been my rifle, I probably would,have sought some other opinions but he sold,it to him for a pittance.  Overall the rifle was in pretty nice condition, it didn't look like there were any major changes that had been made to the rifle.  The patina was what,you would,expect from a rifle that had been kept in a closet for a hundred years.
I would have liked to have gotten a picture of,this rifle, but the whole,transaction took about ten minutes- no time to ge my camera. 
Does anyone have any ideas when a rifle with solid stacked barrels with two percussion locks would,have been made?

Offline Hungry Horse

Re: Double barreled percussion rifle question
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2014, 06:35:04 PM »
 Many multi-shot muzzleloaders were made after the civil war, and after cartridge guns were developed. Several California gunsmiths produced such firearms. I believe that in spite of cartridge development, availability of fixed ammunition was a problem, especially in the far west. I have seen 2,3, and 4 barreled rifles and combination guns, made in California. Although popular in the west, the technology required to produce these firearms, for the most part came from several well known shops in the East.

Hungry Horse

Offline OLUT

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2014, 07:16:06 PM »
The response by Hungry Horse pretty much covered it. In your corner of Southwest Pa, there were many folks making side by side locked over under barreled percussion guns well into the 1870's (James Bown, J. H. Johnston, etc). The bigger companies also sold the various parts for local gunmakers to build their own. These guns range from the typical, well used utility grade pieces to those guns with fine workmanship, engraving, and quality inlays.

Online Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2014, 05:19:20 AM »
Thanks to Glenn for sharing this information and putting me in touch with the shop.  I acquired this excellent signed example of the work of Solomon Heriger from Clarion County.  The rifle is in perfect functional condition with bright bores and tight locks and triggers.  I had been wanting to have a double rifle from my area for some time and this is a great example.  It has the "Brookville Eye" on the cheek and 9 other inlays frequently used by Heriger along with a full comb inlay.  I'm going to check this one over and take it to the range.  It could well be in my hand next muzzleloader season too. The maker is extensively documented by his descendant Col Russell Hariger in his book on Jefferson and Clarion County makers.  It was a good day.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2014, 06:58:26 AM »
You've got to admire a guy that knows what he wants for Christmas.   Then goes out and gets!   I'm digging out the books to read up on ol Sol.
JIM

Online Shreckmeister

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2014, 04:45:59 PM »
Ya know Jim, if she can go shopping the day after Christmas, well then why can't I.  It was interesting how much the gun shop's opinion of the rifle's value changed between when they were the buyer and a week later when they were the seller.  One man's trash became the same man's treasure.  Didn't bother me a bit to pretend I didn't know anything about the gun and was just looking to get two shots off in muzzleloader season rather than one ;)
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Paul E. Wog

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2014, 05:07:34 PM »
Mr. Meister,
  Wonderful find!  I am glad to see that the 16 year Lagavulin gave you the incentive to hike up your kilt and take matters into your own hands...to acquire the rifle that is   ::) ::)
  I agree with jdm, and, Merrry Christmas to you ;D.
  Pics and description ??? ???
                                           Peace Out....Shreck ( NOT Meister )

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2014, 06:36:25 PM »
I opened up " Longrifles of Pennsylvania ' Jefferson, Clarion & Elk Counties. It was not hard to find information on the Heriger family. At first I thought it might be  the one Solomon  was holding in his picture.  It's not often a piece comes along that has so much family history with it. Pretty cool !
JIM

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2014, 07:24:34 PM »
Way to go, Rob!
I had a feeling that someone here might end up with the rifle.

John 
John Robbins

Online Shreckmeister

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2014, 08:39:41 PM »
JDM, The rifle is the same in construction as the one Solomon is holding in the picture.  The only difference is that there are 4 german silver inlays to each corner of the buttstock on both sides of the stock, heart, arrow, eagle and diamond.  The "Brookville Eye" in the cheek is a characteristic inlay of the area which is essentially a german silver oval with an oval cut out of the middle of it.  A straight german silver comb piece runs the length.  The toeplate has a finial and a diamond on the toe.  The buttplate is heavily curved.  It really looks just like the front cover of the book.  Same cheek piece is used, just extra adornments.  The book says he made mostly walnut rifles but this one is curly maple.