Author Topic: Another Hawken project  (Read 8811 times)

FrontierMuzzleloading

Another Hawken project
« on: December 25, 2014, 04:08:22 AM »
This morning I met the mailman bright and early to make sure I did not miss the pick up. Got a new kit stock in, along with a ton of screws and a new tang. Just slowly putting it together and making adjustments where they are needed.

I have 4 holes left to drill, but will do that later down the road when I am ready.

I noticed a little side  to side wiggle at the forward section of the barrel and so I reinforced the wedge key area and the nose piece section with JB Weld and have that setting up.

Both the 50cal and 12 gauge shotgun barrel drop right into the stock perfectly.

Triggers are all worked on and adjusted. After its completely finished though I will really go and adjust the trigger to where I like it and work any creep out.

Will have to do my usual and polish the $#*! out of the lock for silk smooth operation.

I like it! Going good so far. Now to just buy a new supply of sanding paper and some bluing stripper, I can get to the real work.

My plan is a nice dark walnut brown stained stock with a browned LMF barrel, buckhorn rear sight and german silver front sight. Truoil finished knocked down to a nice classic dull sheen.

This makes #4 on the CVA Hawken rifles I've been putting together.  ;D
CVA Hawken .50cal/12 gauge combo build.

Offline shifty

Re: Another Hawken project
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2014, 06:50:27 PM »
I think you like those rifles!

FrontierMuzzleloading

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2014, 08:13:30 PM »
Oh I love them. They are so dang handy and just flat out awesome for modifying and having one $#*! of a shooter on your hands without a huge price tag.

Offline RonC

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2014, 08:08:27 PM »
I believe I have one that you built.
It really is fun to handle and shoot. The size is nice, the rifle holds well for me, and it is accurate.
The inletting is done the way I like it, with the lock going in very snugly. The finish show a commendable attention to detail and a willingness to spend the time required for many coats of oil.
Like I said, it is just, plain fun!
Ron
Ron

FrontierMuzzleloading

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2014, 09:02:53 PM »
Yep Ron, I believe you bought this one.

When you are ready to drop a 54 or 58cal in the stock just let me know and we'll get it fixed up!

This next Hawken I am going to just take my time and slowly put it together. No need to rush it. Heck, I got the shotgun barrel on it right now and am having fun with it later today  :o

FrontierMuzzleloading

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2014, 05:06:10 AM »

Last night I polished the lock internals, lightly moly lubed it, wow what a slick sucker! I still have a little tuning on the triggers after shes complete.

Today I got out the ol horse hoof file and remove a large amount of excess wood around the forearm and brass shoulder plate. Got it all cleaned up now with 100 grit sand paper and smoothed nicely.

On the lock, I left enough wood for at least one good refinish if the new owner road the road should ever hurt the finish, he'll have wood to work with. I even went as far as using 100 and 220 grit sand paper inside the lock area of the stock to smooth out the rough texture they always leave in there. That rough stuff makes it hard to remove fouling when it finds its way into there.

Nose piece goes on tomorrow after I get the saw and remove some extra wood so I can fit the cap perfectly and then drill the holes for attachment screws.

Im just taking my time. I catch myself getting restless and inpatient from time to time and have to remind myself, its cool! No need to get in a rush to get it together, take your time, pay close attention to detail and the new owner will love it. I may love it so much that I keep it! :lol!:  I always feel myself wanting to rush so I can start adding stain and get it purdy. Just one of those deals where I love adding the color and gloss to the wood and see it come alive.

The two places I bedded the stock for extra support and a wiggle free zone channel. The wedge key area was also bedded going partially down into the ramrod channel for extra strength.

Offline RonC

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2014, 05:31:44 AM »
Yep Ron, I believe you bought this one.

When you are ready to drop a 54 or 58cal in the stock just let me know and we'll get it fixed up!

This next Hawken I am going to just take my time and slowly put it together. No need to rush it. Heck, I got the shotgun barrel on it right now and am having fun with it later today  :o
Yup! That is the one.
It has a smooooth and light trigger pull due to your polishing and fine tuning. I had been mostly a flintlock person, but now I have been hauling this "Custom" CVA to the range regularly.
Thank you,
Ron
Ron

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2014, 06:42:46 PM »
Where are you purchasing these kits?  CVA doesn't seem to be advertising them in their products.  Ebay has parts but no barrels. 

FrontierMuzzleloading

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2014, 08:42:29 PM »
Auction sites from time to time, usually on other forums as well.

Offline shifty

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2015, 03:43:25 PM »
 Another thing I do to that routered out channel is  glue a piece of hard wood cut to fit and the thickness that matches the portion of wood between the barrel channel and the ram rod channel ,after glueing in and letting dry you can run your long ram rod hole drill through to remove any excess glue in the hole,i think it makes the stock stronger in that area.These guns are fun to tinker with and they shoot good too, have killed several deer with a 54 cal like that.

FrontierMuzzleloading

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2015, 03:28:09 AM »
Just some progress pictures. You don't want to know how many hours it took me to fit the nose cap. I got a compliment on how good of  a job I was doing and I was like, Yes, But I doubt the new owner will even notice. LOL

I've only hit it with 100 grit so far, but man is this pattern friggin awesome! That's what I love about Beech, it can have some really neat looking stuff in it.

Standard on all CVA rifles that I work on. Bedded tang,trigger plate and now, the forearm. I still have to bed my 58's forearm and see if I can squeeze out a little  better accuracy.

FrontierMuzzleloading

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2015, 06:31:16 AM »

FrontierMuzzleloading

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2015, 09:46:57 AM »
I fergot to brown the tang, so that's not in the picture DOH!

So pretty its a darn shame I'll be selling it.

Front site was replaced with a german silver blade and the rear sight will be off a Marlin with an elevator ramp set up. I love it as I set my .58cal Hawken up for hopefully 200 yards. Its a great sight to have for hunting.

Triggers are all polished, adjusted and sweet. Lock is polished as well and greases lightly with moly. New nipple installed, brass was buffed down with a M3 scuffing pad for a brushed look. Waxed the stock as well for a little protection.

Once I finish it all up, I'll find a safe place outside for waaaay better pictures.

Offline RonC

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2015, 07:21:41 PM »
Excellent work!
It looks great!
Ron
Ron