Author Topic: First time using roundball in my shotgun  (Read 8539 times)

Offline dapper

• Starting Member
First time using roundball in my shotgun
« on: December 28, 2014, 12:14:47 AM »
Hey guys, I'm going to be using RB in my 13ga double for the first time. Any tips on loading and any advice on a powder charge would be helpful. .690 ball and I have some prelubed patches. I've shot rifles plenty and have used this double for some time, too.
Thanks much, all.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 03:10:08 AM by dapper »

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
Re: First time using roundball in my shotgun
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2014, 01:56:43 AM »
Well, you'll probably fine as many loads as there are roundball shooters.  I own a .62 smoothie.  I get good accuracy at 50 yards with a WW ball pushed down as a unit with ball on top then seat a card wad or two to hold the ball in.  This load gives me 5" to 6" at 50 yards.

I also use a smaller WW ball, patched like a rifle load.  I've gotten groups at 50 yards with this load of around 2.5" to 3".  I prefer WW for smoothbores and save the precious lead for rifles.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline dapper

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2014, 03:13:16 AM »
Thanks Hanshi, for the response.Do you use the same charge as you would for shot?

Offline SCLoyalist

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2014, 04:48:01 PM »
Take a look at:
http://www.muzzleloadingshotguns.com/articles/12gaugeroundballloadsforbiggame        and it should give you some ideas.  And, a call to whoever made your shotgun or the barrel may give you some valuable information.

I've read that a roundball produces less pressure than the same weight of lead shot, so I don't think there's any increased risk of blowing up your gun with a given powder charge because you've switched from shot to ball.    A .690RB is 1-1/8 oz of lead, and most load data I've seen suggests a powder charge in the 75-96 gr range.    Depending what you're thinking of hunting,  I'd suggest a range trip with a chronograph and supply of targets, start at 60 grains and look for the lightest charge that groups okay out to 50 yards and delivers enough energy to kill whatever you intend to hunt.     
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 05:09:06 PM by SCLoyalist »

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2014, 08:12:51 PM »
Don't forget that if you only fire one barrel the other is still loaded. It is all too easy to  begin to reload the first barrel and never think twice about the fact that you are putting yourself in front of a loaded and primed gun. Additionally, recoil from the first shot can cause the load in the second barrel to move forward a bit. Once you have reloaded the first barrel, run the rammer down on the second load also.

Offline dapper

• Starting Member
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2014, 04:12:20 AM »
Thanks Gents! I knew I would get some good advice if I asked!

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2014, 08:10:44 PM »
I have a 15 bore percussion double by John Manton that I like to carry during moose season.  I load the right barrel with bird shot, for grouse, and the left one with a single ball for Bullwinkle.  I have never had an opportunity to test it on a moose, but I've taken lots of grouse while walking old trails in the bush.  One never knows when a moose or black bear will step out on the trail in front of you.  It's a great hunting combination.  I use the same powder charge for the ball as for the shot...80 gr. 2FgGOEX.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2014, 12:23:14 AM »
I have a 15 bore percussion double by John Manton that I like to carry during moose season.  I load the right barrel with bird shot, for grouse, and the left one with a single ball for Bullwinkle.  I have never had an opportunity to test it on a moose, but I've taken lots of grouse while walking old trails in the bush.  One never knows when a moose or black bear will step out on the trail in front of you.  It's a great hunting combination.  I use the same powder charge for the ball as for the shot...80 gr. 2FgGOEX.

Sounds like a good idea as long as the need for a quick shot doesn't cause one to mistakenly use the wrong barrel for the wrong critter.  That could produce a "self-cleaning" grouse or a very irritated moose  ;)

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

• Member 3
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2015, 08:49:18 PM »
The beauty of a double gun, is the two triggers.  The front trigger, firing the right barrel with the shot and the rear trigger firing the left barrel with the ball.  The rear trigger lends itself much better to accurate aiming than having to reach for that front one....seems completely logical and natural to me.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2015, 11:27:04 PM »
The beauty of a double gun, is the two triggers.  The front trigger, firing the right barrel with the shot and the rear trigger firing the left barrel with the ball.  The rear trigger lends itself much better to accurate aiming than having to reach for that front one....seems completely logical and natural to me.

Yes, my comment was tongue in cheek.  I've done much the same with a double shotgun as well.  Only I was using round ball in one barrel and #1 buck in the other for hog hunting in cover were shots could be from 10 yards to 50 yards.  I quite agree with you; it's a very logical and effective approach.

Mole Eyes
Don Richards

• Member 3
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2015, 12:21:45 AM »
I have a confession:  on my first outing with this lethal device, I came upon a cock ruffy strutting out on the trail in front of me, so I simply cocked the right hand hammer, brought the gun up --- 20 yd shot ---and pulled the trigger.  The hammer fell, the bird flew, and I was standing there incredulously.  I've shot flinters so much, I forgot to cap the nipples.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline Robin Henderson

• AKA "Wobblyshot"
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2015, 01:31:43 AM »
Just for fun, I tried .690 balls patched with .018 ticking in my Berretta 12ga OU using 3 drams 2fg goex. I was pleasantly surprised when, if I did my part, both barrels would put both balls in the black of a standard NMLRA 100 target at 50 yards.
Flintlock is the only truly reliable source of ignition in a muzzle loader.

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2015, 04:13:58 PM »
Just for fun, I tried .690 balls patched with .018 ticking in my Berretta 12ga OU using 3 drams 2fg goex. I was pleasantly surprised when, if I did my part, both barrels would put both balls in the black of a standard NMLRA 100 target at 50 yards.

As we all know, a smooth bore long gun will do quite well with round ball when shot by someone who has done some practice with it.  However, as you've discovered, a shotgun or short barreled "canoe gun" can do very well with round balls.  They make nice guns for hunting larger game in heavy cover.

Mole Eyes
Don Richards

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2015, 05:46:16 PM »
I had abysmal round ball accuracy out of my 12 ga English fowler until I upped the powder charge to 100g of 1F on the advise of a guy who knows a lot more about shooting smoothies than I do. Success, cloverleaf at 25yards.

My load is a .690 ball, patched with .023 ticking, a half of a fiber wad over 100gr of 1F. I probably don't need the half fiber wad but leave my gun loaded for long periods of time and want to keep the patch lube off the powder.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2015, 09:25:00 PM »
The further (range) you can get the ball out there before it takes on it's curve-ball spin, the better your accuracy will normally be, with a smoothbore shooting balls. That is the theory, at least.

The more powder, the faster the ball, thus when patched, it isn't already spinning inside the bore before leaving as a loose rattling ball would or possibly be. You are actually shooing a knuckle-ball (base-ball type) - thus the faster it is traveling, the more accurate it should be.

In a .12 bore, 100gr. of powder with that ball should be just over 1,150fps, I'd estimate.

My 20 bore flinter does fine close-in at 25 yards (1 1/2" or so for 5 shots) with a mere 82gr. (3 drams) For shooting the long targets on the trail, and I do get a few of the 100yard gongs, I use 100gr. The 82gr. load does almost 1,200fps, while the 100gr. charge runs 1,375fps.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V