Author Topic: H.E. Leman Question  (Read 3109 times)

brewyak

H.E. Leman Question
« on: April 08, 2009, 02:58:26 AM »
Hey all,  I am new to this forum and I think that someone on here can give me a hand.  My dad gave me this gun a few years ago and he has had it for years and doesn't remember where he got it at.  The only markings are on the lock the says H. E. Leman Lancaster Pa.  I know a little about Leman and that he made guns for the indian trade and also made locks for other companys.  Anyway here are some picts any info would be super.

thanks in advance

Offline Spotz

• member 2
Re: H.E. Leman Question
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 03:06:01 AM »
I would direct you to "The Pennsylvania-Kentucky Rifle" by Henry Kauffman.  This book has the most comprehensive coverage of Leman.  The finial on the patchbox is a common one for Leman, but I have seen this particular design on full stock rifles usually (some with engravings making it into a bird and others simply engraved).  Leman made hundreds and hundreds of rifle as he tried to keep up with mass production trends.  I query whether this rifle may have been a full stock made into a half stock or a restocking of Leman parts, especially considering that the patchbox finials are not present (they are usually present).  The wood looks walnut and may point to New York, as there is a slight perch belly shape on the underside of the butt stock.  Others can probably shed more insight on that point.

brewyak

Re: H.E. Leman Question
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 03:27:34 AM »
Thanks, spotz.  that would explain the silver on the end of the stock