Author Topic: A surprise of sorts  (Read 7328 times)

Offline Dan

A surprise of sorts
« on: December 29, 2014, 11:26:30 PM »
The recent experience of a grandchild made us both smile, though for different reasons. His reaction to shooting a flint lock after a morning of shooting .22s was a smile bigger than Texas. And now you know why I smiled.

It was a .440 Hornady ball over but 30 grains of 3Fg and it was shot into the ground about 3' from the muzzle. He's not terribly tall.  By any measure I consider that a very mild load and did not expect what was found after the fact with a little digging.

The soil was mildly damp clay with a little organic material entrained.  I did not expect the ball to expand as it did, nor after reflection, retain the weight that it did.  Mic diameter is approximately .590", retained weight 125.3 grains. The unfired balls averaged 128 grains for 5 samples.

Perhaps most of all, I was surprised by the 6" diameter hole in the ground that was about 9" deep. It was smoking after the shot.  The kid's smile wrapped darn near back behind his ears.  ;D

Offline PPatch

Re: A surprise of sorts
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 12:05:27 AM »
Wonderful "Range Report" Dan. Made me smile too.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Stuartg

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 07:11:18 AM »
Another generation hooked!  ;D

Offline RichG

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 05:19:08 AM »
I've recovered multiple round balls from deer(.40and.45). Even after going through shoulder and or spine bones the usually retain all but a couple grains of weight. I think the term is molecular cohesion. Lead really likes it's self. ;D

Offline Daryl

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 07:20:06 PM »
Like bubblegum - unless there is a hardening agent like antimony in the matrix. After a certain point, they can become quite brittle.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline trentOH

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 07:44:32 PM »
I think the term is molecular cohesion. Lead really likes it's self. ;D

Hey! My recently retired boss had Molecular Cohesion!

Offline Dan

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2015, 01:29:59 AM »
I think we've all had bosses that suffered from that affliction.  ;D

I guess the thing that surprised me most about the ball was not so much the retained weight as I've seen that repeatedly with lead conicals.  More that it expanded so with what I consider to be  a very light charge.  In a way it opens my eyes to what might be a different perspective on the "necessity" for higher velocity regarding terminal performance.

Offline RichG

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2015, 01:58:20 AM »
pure lead bullets don't need to be going fast to expand , but it sure makes it easier to hit things ;)

Offline Robin Henderson

• AKA "Wobblyshot"
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2015, 02:09:09 AM »
I recently shot this deer with a 270 gr .562 round ball at 30 yards using a relatively moderate 82 gr charge of 2fg goex. The ball recovered only weighed 170 grains. Never did find the rest of that ball. It was the first time I'd ever recovered a lead round ball from a deer that wasn't deformed but mostly complete.

Flintlock is the only truly reliable source of ignition in a muzzle loader.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2015, 05:13:20 AM »
Any bullet that strikes bone will be seriously deformed unless its a monolithic solid or a steel jacketed solid or a hard lead bullet at low velocity. The higher the velocity and/or the softer the bullet the greater the deformation or fragmentation. Much of the stopping power of several modern military bullets is based on bullet breakup. In reality lead bullets at BP velocities are actually very good at maintaining  their weight unless they are sheared by bone.

Given that a pure lead will deform at any velocity much over 800 fps. If it strikes bone at 1300-1500 fps its going the deform significantly and may be sheared into pieces depending on the bone struck.
This is a 54 RB at probably 1000 fps striking the upper leg bone of a Mule Deer doe.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i199/DPhariss/ML%20Guns/DSC02829.jpg

Note that it has hair prints on one side and a bone print on the other. I believe when is broke the lead bone it turned around and struck a rib entering the chest. But this was something around 15 years ago and I did not write down the details.

Had it been fired from a rifle it would have been signifcantly more mangled like this 50 caliber ball.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Vomitus

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2015, 09:57:28 PM »
  WOW! That upper leg photo is impressive.