Author Topic: Thomas Holbrook pistol  (Read 4809 times)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Thomas Holbrook pistol
« on: January 05, 2015, 08:12:27 PM »
A friend of mine gave me permission to post this Thomas Holbrook pistol. I will add text later.
Dennis

Please note that there is a slight remainder of engraving on the front of the cock, and on the cock screw.

The Second Thomas Holbrook Pistol

It is clear that F. Allen Thompson was a major fan of Thomas Holbrook, and in his article “Worcester County Gunsmiths 1780-1830” he expresses his historical passion toward Holbrook in the following. “I believe the most important gunsmith and probably the most influential in this area was Thomas Holbrook (1747-1810) of Sherborn, Mass. He made Fowlers, buck and ball guns and at least one brass barreled pistol. His workmanship is flawless. “…I have personally had the pleasure of holding the pistol referred to in Thompson’s article. It is owned by a senior member of our organization.. In total respect for the thorough research abilities of Mr. Thompson we can however, amend and affirm that there are “at least two pistols attributed to Holbrook” ….. We now have another Holbrook!
This newly surfaced pistol is not only unique in the fact that it has now come out of the closet, but also in that it is “silver mounter” and dated “1789”.. IT is quite unique that there are no other documented silver mounted pistols of this vintage produced by any Mass gunsmith, in no way held the same somewhat extravagant “rococo” values, resources and inclinations of our friends across the ocean in France. The additional uniqueness lies in the fact the pistol was produced in 1789. Now what is unique about 1789?? George Neumann is probably chuckling at this time he is probably one of the only members of the club that instantly recognized the 1789 date as the first great celebratory of our Nation’s first President, George Washington…. Along with this, Washington in the fall of 1789, had just completed a wildly enthusiastic 20 day visit to New England spending the majority of his time in Mass. Upon his return to New York he coincidentally visited the town of Sherborn, Mass… and yes… Sherborn is the town where Thomas Holbrook worked, practicing his trade as a gunsmith.
As with all of Holbrook’s work, the pistol is masterfully created and very small and gentlemanly. A little over 12 inches long with a clear Holbrook calligraphic lock plate signature, decorative elements, and the owners name “Taylor”, on the rear top silver decorative grip support.. The escutcheon should be studied closely. It does not hold the owners initials. If viewed through a microscope, it resembles a colonial miniaturist’s visual equivalent of a 1960’s Pop ART expression of “WOW IT’S 1789”……….
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 09:45:14 PM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Re: Thomas Holbrook pistol
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 09:12:47 PM »
Nice
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline debnal

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 10:31:58 PM »
Is this the same pistol recently sold on Gunbroker? I remember the date and Taylor name.
Al

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 10:59:54 PM »
Very nice pistol - you can see the French influence on New England gunsmiths clearly in this piece.  I suspect the lock is a reconversion, given the comparably large round cock, and English style pan, and frizzen mounted on the lovely small French flat lockplate design.  What's the length and bore of the barrel?  The overall shape and size mirrors a French pistol I own that is still one of my favorite pieces.  Thanks you to the new owner for sharing,
-Eric

Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

Offline PPatch

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 11:36:11 PM »
Love the lines of this pistol, it seems to say "pick me up, see how I point." Fine craftsmanship.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 01:44:23 AM »
Nifty. What's the forward trigger guard finial look like?
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline alyce-james

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2015, 05:28:22 AM »
Dennis; I like this pistol, nice. Thank for posting the pictures. AJ.
"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2015, 04:56:57 AM »
Awhile back I found some content from the Sherborn Town records that showed where Thomas was paid a sum to ring the bell for town meetings. Seems I also found where he was fined , for not showing up for the militia. I will try to find those again. Nice pistol.
http://home.comcast.net/~edwperry/1974History.htm near the bottom there is some history on the Holbrooks.

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2015, 05:07:34 AM »
They was a Thomas Holbrook fowler for sale at the longirfle show in Front Royal a few months back. I think the lockplate was signed, like this pistol.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 05:08:08 AM by Avlrc »