Author Topic: What size ball and loads for pedersoli ten guage double barell?  (Read 3876 times)

Offline Topknot

• www.yahoo.com
What size ball and loads for pedersoli ten guage double barell?
« on: January 06, 2015, 05:42:25 AM »
Gentlemen, I bought a new ten guage double a few months ago. Its made by pedersoli and both barrels are cylinder bore. I havent had a chance to shoot it yet and was wondering what type loads is safe for it. I have the cards and the fiber wads. I have also bought 25 lbs. of #5 shot. and also need to know what size roundball would be safe to shoot in it. and what powder loads would be safe for roundballs.
I figured if anyone would know it would be you guys.

Thanks in advance,

topknot 
TIM COMPTON, SR.

layover to catch meddlers!

Offline moleeyes36

Re: What size ball and loads for pedersoli ten guage double barell?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2015, 06:01:29 AM »
When I had one I used it for hunting deer and hogs in heavy cover.  I found that 1 1/4 ounces of number 1 buckshot over 85 grains of ffg was really effective out to 35 yards or so.  More powder or more than half a fiber cushion wad would make holes in the pattern.  I never shot a round ball in that gun.

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline FDR

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 08:50:17 PM »

Offline Longknife

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 10:51:41 PM »
TK, The bore size of your 10 ga. should is advertised at .775. You need a ball .010 smaller than your choke.  If your barrels are IMP CYL they should mic out at .765 so I would go with a .755 ball or smaller....You need to mic BOTH barrels to determine the exact choke dia. My 10 gauge mics Rt .765 and Left .755...any way, as I said, you need a ball .010 smaller than your choke.....
Ed Hamberg

Offline Topknot

• www.yahoo.com
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 02:15:51 AM »
Longknife, both barrels are cylinder bore. So would a ball .765 work? Also what is the minimum and maximum powder loads I should use?

topknot
TIM COMPTON, SR.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2015, 02:54:08 AM »
Top-not, I'd hit up Jeff Tanner to make me a mould to case .740" ball. The reason for that size is a .740" ball will allow a nice thick patch which will hold lots of lube and be easy loading and shooting. To cast at .740", the mould will have to be a about .743", thus casting .001" to .0015" smaller per size due to shrinkage, they'd come out at .740".  If you had to use hard lead, you could - and still use the thick patch.

A .005" or .010" undersize (smaller than the bore) ball is for a rifled barrel, which has another .010" to .016" of grooves for patching to collect. the smoothbore has no such grooves, thus the ball must break the .005" or .010" 'rule'.

If you want to shoot naked balls, your accuracy will improve with larger balls, or with a smaller one, a double wrap of appropriate paper in a  military-type paper ctg.  BUT - If using paper ctgs. they must be V/TIGHT or you will promote fires due to powder flame passing the paper and stating it on fire.  We've proven to OUR satisfaction, that in rifle or smoothbore, if the paper is tight to the bore, there is no burning of the paper upon discharge.
As for paper, printer paper is available in a remarkable range of 'weights'.

A pure or dead soft .740" lead ball will be just over 600gr. weight.

As for powder charge, your shoulder will probably stop you before pressure becomes a consideration.  I would think anything up to about 130gr. would be more than sufficient. You will want to shoot it on paper, right, then left, with each charge to see how each barrel prints in comparrison to each other.
I would consider putting both tubes into a 4" to 5" group at 50 yards to be wonderful shooting, with a double smoothbore. We were able to get one of LB's smoothbores shooting 3" at 50 yards off bags. Mine won't do that.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 02:57:54 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Topknot

• www.yahoo.com
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2015, 06:27:32 AM »
Thanks Gentlemen for all your replys. Daryl, as always, you came to the rescue!

Thanks to all,

topknot
TIM COMPTON, SR.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2015, 05:29:37 AM »
Daryl's advice is golden.

I can relate some of my personal experience with patched ball in a 10 gauge.  I owned a Long land Pattern Brown Bess musket in 10 bore.  The bore measures .770"  and likes a .735" - .740" ball and a .020' - .025" patch.  I shot it all day long with 86 gr. of FFg GOEX without having to wipe the bore, and for trail or target, it was a pleasure to shoot.  It weighs 11 pounds, without the bayonette.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.