Author Topic: Sources for round balls  (Read 15504 times)

Offline Scota4570

Re: Sources for round balls
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2015, 05:56:44 PM »
When you decide on a size try this guy:

http://www.jt-bullet-moulds.co.uk/moulds.html

He is fast and cheap.  The molds are top quality. 

Offline tddeangelo

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2015, 07:03:26 PM »
I have seen their page before. Definitely gotta burn some more 2f and get to ordering a mold soon. I have about 200lbs of X-ray sheeting made into ingots, so I have enough to make a few round balls for sure.

I have to admit, just making ingots is kinda fun. I molded and remelted some 45-70 bullets from a Saeco bottom pour pot a friend gave me. Lots to learn, but getting some ok looking bullets from the Lee double cavity mold I got with my 45-70 when I acquired the rifle. Still trying to decide on ladling vs bottom pouring for making round balls. I figured I'd some both ways and take measurements and weights and see if one method gave me more consistent results than the other and then go with that.

What do you use to cut the sprues from the balls made in those molds from JT?

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2015, 12:02:25 AM »
http://www.jt-bullet-moulds.co.uk/images/SC.jpg

I just ground some wire cutters like the above.  I don't use his mold regularly. Mine is a 0.990", not exactly high volume shooting.  Most of my other molds are common sizes or my own make .   They have sprue cutters.   

jamesthomas

« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2015, 12:57:13 AM »
 I have tried a bottom pour but got odd weights and it would get either stuck or start to drip :( I found I do much better by dipping. I have a Lee 20 lb. Magnum Melter  that is perfect for making lots of either .395's or .490's.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2015, 06:40:48 PM »
Currently using a 20 pound Lee bottom pour - with a #6 sheet metal screw turned into the bottom pour spout from the inside with an impact driver after emptying the pot. It is now an adjustable temperature dipper casting pot that holds 20 pounds of lead- perfect. No more drips and perfect balls and bullets.

Balls from a Tanner Mould.  I use plyers-type wire strippers (little cuttouts for different sized wire) for removing the sprue. I grip the sprue shank then twists the ball. The sprue comes off cleanly and usually needs not further alteration to make it perfect for loading, any which -i- way. The tiny little nipple that sometimes sticks up from the twisted off spure can be simply tapped flat, or ignored- or filed off.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 06:46:26 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V