Author Topic: One way or the other we are going to stop talking about non ML rifles  (Read 16841 times)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
I just removed the "long range shooting ?" topic by now all of you should know the rules on what is allowable discussion here on ALR. If you want to discuss bullet guns, modern guns and barrels please do it on another forum where the rules allow for that kind of discussion. This board is for side-lock muzzle loaders.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chunker119

Re: One way or the other we are going to stop talking about non ML rifles
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 11:58:54 PM »
targetx.boardhost.com  is a great forum and is all about target shooting!
Colton L. Fleetwood                
     "Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway"  - John Wayne

Offline gunmaker

• the old dog gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 12:15:21 AM »
I never mentioned those other types, my ONLY interest is in muzzleloaders, this Creedmore long dist. stuff is new to me, but limited to ML shooting.......I can't edit what someone else posts.....Your right to stop that talk, when it comes up.  Can I re-post and spec.  ML info on lt....Tom
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 12:16:12 AM by gunmaker »

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 12:59:58 AM »
I can't edit what someone else posts.....Your right to stop that talk, when it comes up.  Can I re-post and spec.  ML info on lt....Tom
Yes as long as it fits the muzzle loader, side-lock rules as shown here: http://americanlongrifles.org/american-longrifles-privacy-policy-2.htm?action=recent
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2015, 01:36:44 AM »
I can't edit what someone else posts.....Your right to stop that talk, when it comes up.  Can I re-post and spec.  ML info on lt....Tom
Yes as long as it fits the muzzle loader, side-lock rules as shown here: http://americanlongrifles.org/american-longrifles-privacy-policy-2.htm?action=recent

Since when is a Rigby or Alex Henry less of a sidelock muzzle loader than a Hawken???

Bob Roller

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2015, 02:23:19 AM »
My error, not used to bullets and those twists in a muzzle loader! I moved the topic back where it was.
Dennis
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 02:24:37 AM by Dennis Glazener »

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2015, 04:38:50 AM »
Dennis,  that's understandable .  The folks at the long range matches with their SS Cartridge Rifles aren't used to me showing up with my muzzleloader either  ;D

Offline gunmaker

• the old dog gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2015, 07:54:05 AM »
Post on here I think 18th century Jeager with a ROT like 1:22  ?  Those English long range ML were--are some dangerous weapons 600 gr. bullets !!!!     I'm getting a free education--for sure....Tom
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 07:54:44 AM by gunmaker »

Offline Dan

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2015, 02:17:46 PM »
Well, for any of you unfamiliar with the days of old, there was an organization called the National Rifle Club which hosted many, many shooting competitions during the latter part of the 19th century thru about 1903. There was profound activity in the realm of ML bench guns shooting conicals. In some extreme cases the guns weighed over 50 pounds and the bullets were over 1,000 grains. There were sidelocks, underhammers, and sidehammer guns in the mix, and uh, telescopic sights.  Twist rates were generally in the range of 14-20", bores had as many as 18 grooves (radiused) and it was quite a time. Names such as Perry, Billinghurst, Warner and Lowe were famous. The side bets were staggering.

Fella named Ned Roberts wrote a book about this era called "The Muzzle-Loading Cap Lock Rifle". It is a remarkable treatment and historical treasure in my mind, and one that is still available thru Amazon and other outlets.  It has been recently re-published by Stackpole Books.  Roberts' attention to the details of the art is stunning.

I would show a picture of my own dating from the 1880's but am loathe to stir the pot. The hammer is under the belly and it has a 16x scope built back then.  3 years ago it took 2d place at a match in Cody, Wy.

One may find unfolding discussion about such things at http://wyomingschuetzenunion.com/ubbthreads.php/forum_summary

I find shooting a long rifle to be a very enjoyable thing in many ways.  Can't hardly find anything more relaxing and easy paced, or useful for that matter.  Flinters are the 10s.  Slug guns, or bullet guns as they are sometimes called are a lot like having 25 wives I imagine.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2015, 02:49:52 PM »
Post on here I think 18th century Jeager with a ROT like 1:22  ?  Those English long range ML were--are some dangerous weapons 600 gr. bullets !!!!     I'm getting a free education--for sure....Tom

I think it was Taylor that called these long range muzzle loaders "predators".
 These elegant rifles that came out of top English shops were the ultimate
in rifles that had the be loaded from the muzzle.

Bob Roller

ken

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2015, 04:25:03 PM »
I am glad that our monitors are trying to keep the forum on track. Hard enough just to keep the subject on track ken

Offline shifty

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2015, 04:43:54 PM »
I think Dennis does a great job,and it takes a good man to admit he made a mistake,keep up the good work!

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2015, 05:06:42 PM »
One thing I remember reading "Muzzleloading Caplock Rifle" was how the consensus was back then that a breechloader could never be as accurate as a muzzleloader. These were heavy false muzzle bench guns with I believe paper patched sugar loaf bullets? I don't have any experience in this area only what I read. Popes barrels were supposedly legendary and according to an article I remember from one of the magazines, the only way to contact him was to call up to the second story window in his shop from the street and if he wanted to talk to you he would let you in.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2015, 05:59:26 PM »
One thing I remember reading "Muzzleloading Caplock Rifle" was how the consensus was back then that a breechloader could never be as accurate as a muzzleloader. These were heavy false muzzle bench guns with I believe paper patched sugar loaf bullets? I don't have any experience in this area only what I read. Popes barrels were supposedly legendary and according to an article I remember from one of the magazines, the only way to contact him was to call up to the second story window in his shop from the street and if he wanted to talk to you he would let you in.

Harry Pope,cranky oldfart,curmudgeon,barrel maker extraordinaire.From a book called "Lucian Cary on Guns" which was a Fawcett publication that I bought new in 1952 comes an article called "Last of the Great Gunsmiths" by Mr.Cary who passed away in 1972 if memory serves me right.Pope had no phone and did work on the second floor of a ware house in New Jersey and the story about getting his attention from the sidewalk is mostly true.The idea of a breech loader being as accurate as a first class muzzle loader was at one time a true statement.The muzzle loaders that Maj.Roberts wrote about were not the long rifle and he disavowed knowledge of them.He did visit Hacker Martin and watched a flintlock rifle being made and this is mentioned in his book on the caplock rifles.
Harry Pope's rifles were sometimes called "Breech/Muzzleloaders"because of the different ways to load them.
Pope guaranteed a certain level of accuracy IF the rifle was loaded according to HIS strict instructions thru the false muzzle using lubricated bullet from the mould that HE made for that barrel.
These rifles were also guaranteed to give accuracy if the bullet was seated in the rifling ahead of the chamber and a precise amount of a certain powder was loaded into a primed cartridge case and inserted behind the bullet.
He would not guarantee the rifle to even fire if loaded with factory ammunition and made no recommendations for the use of it.
I have had experience with Pope's rifles thanks to local collectors that let me shoot them at our club range and when considering the wretched conditions these barrels and guns were made in,it is to me a big accomplishment and a testament to the skill of a long gone perfectionist.
One more thing.Pope did say that the jacketed center fire ammunition would some day surpass all he had made and time proved him correct.

Bob Roller

Offline Dan

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2015, 07:37:50 PM »
Bob, I have one of those creations. I won't go into specifics other than to say it is a muzzle loader w/False Muzzle and it is unholy accurate. Oh, it weighs 19# w/o sights.

Offline Kermit

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2015, 08:07:39 PM »
It is certain that many of us have interests that don't fit the scope of this site. You know, steam locomotives, motorcycles, classic cars, stamp collecting... Those fit in "Over the Back Fence," but guns that are not muzzleloading sidelocks don't. I think I understand the need to maintain that separation. It must sometimes be a challenge for Dennis & Co to keep track of what is sort of a flexible and moving target.

There are a couple of notable forums for discussing these machines such as underhammers (and boxlocks since they are upside down underhammers?), slug and RB bench guns, muzzle/breechloaders, classic single shots, telescopic sights, and so forth. A few I visit are:

Muzzleloading Target Shooters (fairly new)
http://targetx.boardhost.com/index.php

American Single Shot Rifle Association
http://www.assra.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl

Wyoming Schuetzen Union (resurected)
http://wyomingschuetzenunion.com/ubbthreads.php/forum_summary

I'm sure the folks who so steadfastly and effectively maintain this site and endeavor to keep it focused would not find any of us traitorous if we took some pleasure in joining the discussions on those sites.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 08:48:56 PM by Kermit »
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

nosrettap1958

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2015, 08:38:20 PM »
If you want the best blow by blow and shot by shot replay of the first Creed's Moor shoot buy Ned H. Roberts' Book, "The Muzzle-Loading Cap Lock Rifle."

I just wish the American team would have used muzzleloaders also so we could have seen who were the best builders of 'sporting' long rifles back then. Oh well. Just have to keep relying on conjecture I guess. 

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2015, 11:22:20 PM »
I've never hesitated to admit that my passion is "longrifles".  I do own three that are not "longrifles" and one is retired.  So virtually everything I discuss will be longrifles and only occasionally half stocks. 

As for the rules, they are no-brainers and are pretty clear.  However, I've noticed, and have been caught in the middle of, actual attacks on certain builders and the guns they build.  My philosophy is that if you can't say something nice and/or constructive, DON'T POST!  This attitude from a few members has run off more than one or two valuable new members.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2015, 12:54:08 AM »
If you want the best blow by blow and shot by shot replay of the first Creed's Moor shoot buy Ned H. Roberts' Book
Negatory!!  Go to David Minshall's site at  http://researchpress.co.uk
It's got more than you'll ever find in a book.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2015, 02:19:25 AM »
I have been following this thread for its entirety and I, for one, think it's time to both cut Dennis some slack and move forward with the discussion of ML's. Dennis was big enough to stand up for his earlier mistake of interpretation and I think the moderator should lock it up, IMHO.
Mark
Mark

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2015, 03:50:50 AM »
I just removed the "long range shooting ?" topic by now all of you should know the rules on what is allowable discussion here on ALR. If you want to discuss bullet guns, modern guns and barrels please do it on another forum where the rules allow for that kind of discussion. This board is for side-lock muzzle loaders.
Dennis

Other than deciding to be obstinately ignorant there is no way to avoid discussions of some modern topics here because thats where the data is. Its irresponsible to operate on myth and old wives tales where safety is involved.  Most of the technical discussions are safety related in one way or another and the data is all modern in one way or another.
We live in a modern world there is a LOT of valuable data out there but its almost all in the "modern world" context since compared to the data collected on "modern" firearms there is almost nothing for MLing. Example, Lyman in making their BP Handbook with all the velocities in it, did not understand, or did not care about, the wide variations in quality of the powders they were using (powder that would have been rejected by someone like the British Gov't or Dupont in the 18th c for several reasons). Not just lot to lot but in the same case or even in the same CAN. So we see relatively wide, unexplainable variations from the same barrel. Sloppy science. But it was only MLs so who cared?
How do I know about the power quality? Partly from correspondence, this was the WHY.  I never noticed it in MLs but when loading BPCR ammo with the then only available powder it was instantly noticeable (the powder problem is fixed now but the inconsistent data is still in use ). Because you can see the powder in the case after its drop tubed. So thats where the visual data really was not with MLs since people never see the charge in the powder bed. I submit that some of the tests done by Lyman were shot with powder that was 10% or more DUST that was at least partly inert so far as an effective propellant is concerned. So in anything but general terms the info is garbage from the scientific standpoint.
There IS no data for ML in most fields and the information for brass suppository guns IS valid to ML use and SAFETY in some contexts.
There is a 3 cavity mould marked "Gumpf" with a pointed FB Picket, a slug that is round at each end and a RB cavity in Whiskers book on the Lancaster makers. These bullet guns were not really practical for anything except specialty uses, but  they were used in the LRs of the period. Garrard in "Wah-To-Yah and the Taos Trail" (IIRC) tells of seeing a man with a  Hawken rifle that shot a bullet an inch long in the 1840s. I don't encourage the use of any elongated bullet since they are all impractical except for very specific uses but they were there and are part of the "American rifle" history.

Barrel material? We cannot have a discussion of this and not discuss modern barrel steels, its impossible. Unless we decide to simply stick our heads in the sand.

So long as the discussion is not about breechloaders and the mention is only incidental to the discussion I can't see a problem. Its often the only way to see the proof of a statement.
When people are bursting MLs with BLANK CHARGES that cannot possibly make more than a thousand PSI since there is not even a WAD present and people make poorly thought out statements about how it was "not loaded right" (?) or was "dirty" when modern barrel steels ROUTINELY contain pressures of 55000-65000 when RED HOT then we need a reality check. Without the mention of modern steels and the pressures they routinely contain where is the reality check? There is none. Then we have to ask do we WANT a reality check? If not, WHY not? Is it OK, for example, to use substandard steels in barrels but its not OK to explain WHY they are substandard and what the alternatives are? How does this work? How are people to be informed?  Facts are facts. Ignoring the facts does not make them disappear.

Discussing steel alloys and their suitability for a given use in longrifle building is a valid topic. ALL of the materials are modern and 12L14 may well be newer than 4150.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Dan

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2015, 04:42:13 AM »
I'm a gonna make a last post on this thread and move on.

I agree in very broad terms with the words posted by DPhariss. This is an evolutionary process that began centuries ago. We were not there and are left to learn from a broader setting than in years gone by, thus it is very difficult to see a parallel betwixt a flintlock and something newer and explain it without reference to the latter.  An example occurred here sometime ago in discussion about roundball stability in which I participated.  There are a great many misconceptions about this topic and today we know the why that was unknown in 1850.

I don't think there is intent to defile the spirit of this site which I thoroughly enjoy, certainly not on my part.  My flintlock has been an extraordinary joy and wand of education, not just in the ways of old, but as relate to enhancement of performance in more modern tools.  How do I explain that with language framed in an era where terms such as epicyclic swerve were unknown?  I haven't got a clue.

With all that said, I was part of the discussion which led to this issue, albeit without intention or malice. Trying to help and found a short path to a conflagration I had no interest in joining. 

So, here's what I'm going to do.  A promise to Dennis, who I regard highly for making this site as good as it is, if it ain't a flintlock prb shooter, I ain't typing a word about it.

But here's what I did over the Christmas Holidays for my grandkids. I took a flinter and opened a new world by letting them shoot it, and then in cross over discussion taught them concepts unknown, a new way to look at things and gave them an objective of which they are pursuing vigorously. 

Some of the advice to proceed came from this forum; you know who you are and I thank you for that.

And I thank you Dennis!  Kudos!

Dan

Sharpsman

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2016, 07:50:38 AM »
I haven't been on this site long....but I've spent the last hour 'gleaning' across all the pages/postings looking for those to do with PRB and blackpowder! All the modern junk....I couldn't care less about!! :P

Online oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2016, 04:58:57 PM »
Will always have high respect for Dennis an the other moderators on here. To me it's similar to what we had in our state for our muzzeloading deer season. Started out flintlock an percussion only with iron sites. Once the flood gate was opened. Now anything is allowed. Maybe not quite the same. But yeah get the idea.  Keep up the good job Dennis!

Offline Dan'l 1946

« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2016, 06:41:04 PM »
Dennis, what is a non ML gun?