Author Topic: Stolen blunderbuss??  (Read 5647 times)

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
Stolen blunderbuss??
« on: January 14, 2015, 08:17:42 PM »
Hey Folks,
   Just a quick note here - I was in contact with someone on Craigslist here in Boston selling a brass tack decorated blunderbuss, and started getting the sense that something fishy was going on.  They wouldn't share photos of it, claiming that people might think they stole it, and they started offering all sorts of nonsense to back up their claim that this was a famous piece, worthy of being in a museum, recently to the Boston area from the Pacific Northwest where it had been for years.  I figured it was probably a scammer of sorts, but it also got me thinking perhaps it is actually something stolen.  Either way I don't want anything to do with it, but figured I'd ask here if anyone knew of any tack decorated blunderbuss style arm being stolen anytime in recent years? 
-Eric
Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

Offline Fullstock longrifle

Re: Stolen blunderbuss??
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 08:22:17 PM »
It's most likely a scam Eric, I'd steer clear of it.
Frank

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 10:21:23 PM »
Hey Folks,
   Just a quick note here - I was in contact with someone on Craigslist here in Boston selling a brass tack decorated blunderbuss, and started getting the sense that something fishy was going on.  They wouldn't share photos of it, claiming that people might think they stole it, and they started offering all sorts of nonsense to back up their claim that this was a famous piece, worthy of being in a museum, recently to the Boston area from the Pacific Northwest where it had been for years.  I figured it was probably a scammer of sorts, but it also got me thinking perhaps it is actually something stolen.  Either way I don't want anything to do with it, but figured I'd ask here if anyone knew of any tack decorated blunderbuss style arm being stolen anytime in recent years? 
-Eric

I pay no attention to blunderbusses in general and this doesn't pass
the "smell test". Caveat Emptor is needed.

Bob Roller

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 10:32:02 PM »
On Craigslist. yeah, sure!

They'd probably like to set up a meet in a nice safe public parking lot like walmart,,, be sure you bring cash,,, they'll bring the gun,,,, except the gun they bring will be a new, modern one, with gun barrel poked in your ribs, and you kiss your money, wallet, cell phone and car good bye!  :o

Stay safe,
John

John Robbins

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2015, 11:22:13 PM »
Those brass tacks ruined it for me! :P
Joel Hall

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 12:52:16 AM »
Oh I had absolutely no intention of meeting them - it all smelled too fishy.  I have bought things on CL before, but it creeps me out most the time.  Besides, most the stuff you see folks trying to sell as "American Revolutionary War" is fresh from Afghanistan or Iraq. 
Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

Offline Steve Collward

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 03:30:39 AM »
Eric:
 Don't know of anything that has been reported stolen meeting that description.
 You've pointed out all the warning signs of this "offer", and with little doubt, something is very wrong here.
Just the fact that they refuse to send photos says a great deal.
  It may not even be a blunderbuss.  Could be a contemporary percussion gun someone put brass tacks on.
  Hope to see you at Lewisburg.

Offline PPatch

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2015, 06:27:57 AM »
Whoa Eric..

The the earnest sellers may believe its a "blunderbuss" - but it could be Jim Bridger's lost Blue Hawken. You know the one, Lost in that fight near Baffin bay against the 3rd Faux Inuit Reindeer Cavalry Regiment in January of 1849. That one. Worth a kings ransom and worth checking out. Money no object, photographs not required.

I hope this "blunderbuss" isn't stolen. You are correct to post for information about it. I know nothing to help.

dave
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 06:28:33 AM by PPatch »
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2015, 06:37:05 AM »
I have sold a lot of stuff on Craigslist that was too big and not valuable enough to sell on ebay.    I have never had a problem.   Of course I wasn't selling or buying guns or anything worth more than $200.   Most stuff is in the $20 range.     I wouldn't buy or sell anything valuable on Craigslist that could be easily stolen and fenced.    I would be afraid it was either a scam or I was going to get robbed. ;)

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2015, 07:07:02 AM »
Arrange to meet them at the ALR tent at Dixon's.  ;D
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.