Author Topic: Shop improvised cutter  (Read 6412 times)

Offline Metalshaper

Shop improvised cutter
« on: February 22, 2009, 02:00:28 AM »

Needed a cutter,  to slot the hammer for the new Mule Ear lock I'm building.  I improvised with what I had in the shop. used a 60d nail. cut off about 2.5" below the head.  Then chucked it in my lathe.  Used my smallest centering bit to drill the head and brought up my live center.

turned the head smooth and down to about a 0.5" diameter.  the large portion of the shank is 0.25" to match a collet I have . the rest of the shank was turned down to 0.125. I used a micro saw in my lil X2 mil and gashed for the teeth.  made a quick indexing aid to get the teeth 'sorta' close. then used the saw again to make the back relief.   Used some Kasenite, in two treatments  to harden the head.  wetted the edges with a fine stone to dress them. then used the mill to slot the hammer head.

by doing it this way, the link is part of the hammer and allows my mainspring to lay in under the hammer's strut.. Oh Yeah, this lock uses an outside mainspring.. ;D

Respect Always
Metalshaper
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 04:39:44 AM by rich pierce »

Offline Dan Herda

Re: Shop improvised cutter
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 02:14:36 AM »
 Tool and cutter grinding is my trade,I must say, THAT is being resourcefull!Very cool.

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
Re: Shop improvised cutter
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 02:19:01 AM »
Thanks for posting.  That's pretty neat.
Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.