Author Topic: Sheetz rifle at New Orleans National Guard Museum-More pics added  (Read 10040 times)

Offline T*O*F

Here are the pictures I took while visiting the museum this past Monday.  The display is rather small but well done consisting of about 1-1/2 aisles.  I have other pictures of War of 1812 uniforms and a couple of other guns if there is interest in seeing them as well.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 10:19:27 PM by T*O*F »
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Algae

Re: Sheetz rifle at New Orleans National Guard Museum
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 12:18:00 AM »
I'd enjoy seeing more, thanks T*O*F!
Al J.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 12:19:36 AM »
Thanks for posting those pictures.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2015, 12:11:00 AM »
Hmmmm.  I would have thought there would be a bit more discussion about this gun.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Darrin McDonal

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 04:45:23 AM »
Thanks for posting these. I really tried to get down there but it wasn't to be. Since I am in northern Illinois and the weather was daaamn cold here, I didn't make it.
Anyhow I am pleased to say that I got to know that rifle like a best friend a year or so ago while Jim Parker and I build the duplicate of it thanks to the couple that own it. Most of the artifacts on display are theirs also with some of the other items from their (our) very close friends. That is one very, very special rifle their folks. No joke. Any question about it? You know this is the place to ask.  ???
Darrin McDonal
Apprentice Gunsmith
Colonial Williamsburg
Owner of Frontier Flintlocks

nosrettap1958

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015, 05:52:08 AM »
It always amazes me to see how low those sights are on the originals. Or did they 'zero' the rifle and file down the excess before delivering it to their client?

Sheetz was a Virginia builder wasn't he?? And were all the rifles used by the New Orleans Company of Riflemen Virginia builders?

Offline WElliott

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2015, 05:54:04 AM »
The owner graciously displayed this historically important rifle at the Tennessee Kentucky Rifle Show a couple of years back. It was a pleasure to see.
Wayne Elliott

nosrettap1958

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2015, 06:02:34 AM »
Would this be a Henry Sheetz Junior or Senior rifle??

oakridge

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2015, 06:03:39 AM »
I'll be happy to comment after I see the exhibit, which I hope to do before the month's out. I live about 150 miles from N. O. and have a daughter that lives there, so I have two excuses to go.

Offline Darrin McDonal

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2015, 06:52:18 AM »
This was John Jacob Sheetz. That is one confusing family that's for sure.
As for the sites, I cant say how they did it for sure but that size and style were extremely common on early guns. They aren't hard to see due to the size but I bet the heat mirage could get aggravating if they shot it enough times.
The records aren't clear about the makers of the various rifles carried in the Battle of New Orleans but I'll say its a safe bet that they weren't all Virginia made rifles. As a matter of fact, many arrived without any arms and they were scrambling to get them something to shoot. That how high the enthusiasm was to join in on the fight, they came to fight even if they didn't have a gun yet. 
Darrin
Apprentice Gunsmith
Colonial Williamsburg
Owner of Frontier Flintlocks

nosrettap1958

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2015, 07:18:05 AM »
John Jacob??? A brother to Henry Sr. or no relation at all??

I agree there those low sights and the barrel heating up.  
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 04:20:11 PM by crawdad »

Offline Luke MacGillie

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2015, 04:40:36 PM »
Shooting animals (people included) requires a different set up than what is optimal for shooting 5 shot one hole groups. Does not matter if it's a flintlock or a M16. 

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2015, 10:22:16 PM »
Many originals had very low sights compared to what we use on our modern rifles of today. I was amazed the first time I look down an original in poor lighting at how well I could see these sights. The silver blade was very easy to pick up in the small notch of the rear sight. In bright light it was a different story, I could not see the front blade at all. So for hunting and protection from the inside of a cabin I think the low sights had their plusses.

I think that there are two different sets of Sheets or Steetz rifle building families and I am not sure which one John Jacob fits into. I do know I have seen a rifle signed by Martin Sheetz that is almost a twin to this rifle so I am fairly confident that they were brothers.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2015, 11:09:27 PM »
John Jacob Sheetz was the son of Phillip Sheetz, Martin Sheetz ( my  gggg- grandad) was John Jacob's brother.
Also,Darrin and Jim, I enjoyed the building DVD very much, lot of good pictures of the Sheetz rifle, Thanks
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 07:46:48 PM by flinchrocket »

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2015, 02:23:21 AM »
I think that there are two different sets of Sheets or Steetz rifle building families and I am not sure which one John Jacob fits into. I do know I have seen a rifle signed by Martin Sheetz that is almost a twin to this rifle so I am fairly confident that they were brothers.
At least two. I once owned a NC rifle signed "D Sheets" as far as I could tell he remained in NC but his father and some of his kin moved to Ohio. I suspect, but don't know that they may have had ties to the VA Valley Sheets/Shetz way back when they first came to America.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2015, 03:04:31 AM »
TOF,

Thanks for posting the pictures.  I do have a question about the rifle's barrel length.  Photos can be deceptive, but in the pictures the barrel doesn't appear to be overly long.  Do you happen to know the barrel length?

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline Luke MacGillie

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2015, 03:07:26 AM »
Many originals had very low sights compared to what we use on our modern rifles of today. I was amazed the first time I look down an original in poor lighting at how well I could see these sights. The silver blade was very easy to pick up in the small notch of the rear sight. In bright light it was a different story, I could not see the front blade at all. So for hunting and protection from the inside of a cabin I think the low sights had their plusses.

Those sails out front that are so good for match shooting also tend to not like being leaned on trees while doing some other task, catch on just about everything, from the inside of the rifle case to spider webs and who knows what else. 

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2015, 03:43:19 AM »
John Jacob??? A brother to Henry Sr. or no relation at all??

I agree there those low sights and the barrel heating up.  

I do not believe that John Sheets and his son Henry Sheets from  Augusta County were in any way related to the Sheetz family of gunmakers  from Shepherdstown &  Charles Town.( about half of these migrated to Hampshire County)
As to the   1.Henry Sheetz Brother to Philip.( Philip was the father of John Jacob the maker of this rifle). This Henry had a son 2.Henry ( he came to Hampshire County).

Then there is 3. Henry Sheets from Augusta County son of John.

Then there is a 4.Henry Sheets gunsmith in Ohio.

Not to mention the 5.Henry  Sheets gunsmith in Daviess County Missouri , who had a son John,  "Captain John W. Sheets" who was shot and killed by Jesse James in a 1869 Bank Robbery.  ( or is this Henry ,   John Sheets' son  from Augusta County? You can't find Henry  after 1830 or 1840 In Augusta County ??? Maybe he went to MO.

How can a collector ever keep it straight.  ???

Here is a nice Frederick Sheetz rifle.  Frederick was first cousin to John Jacob. I was fortunate to receive these pictures from a collector a few days back.

http://hampshirecountylongrifles.blogspot.com/
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 08:07:16 AM by Avlrc »

4th La.

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2015, 06:07:18 AM »
Mole Eyes,  barrel length on the John Jacob Sheetz,  42"
See April 2013 Muzzle Blast for more on this rifle.

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2015, 08:07:01 AM »
Avlrc

Thanks for posting the link to the F. Sheetz rifle. There are many similarities between this rifle and the  John Jacob Sheetz rifle. The carving styles are similar in that the incise carving is very lightly done, almost like it was painted on. The relief carving is also barely above the surface of the background. The floral engraved designs on the patch box lids have the same flow and feel.

I had talked to Wallace about the different Sheetz/Sheets families and I think that he had the same thoughts as you as to who John Jacob's family was. I can not say as I have done no research on this. I do know from the quality of the rifles I have seen from this group of makers that they were a very talented bunch.  This particular rifle that was built by John Jacob is a grand rifle and a piece that can be documented all the way from it's maker to it's owner to it's use in the battle, to the son that documented it's use, to a portrait of William and his son, even to current descendants of William Ross. Talk about provenance this rifle has it in spades. I don't know to many Kentuckies out there that this can be said about. I know I am going to keep buying lottery tickets  ;D
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline T*O*F

Re: Sheetz rifle at New Orleans National Guard Museum-More pics added
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2015, 10:25:16 PM »
Had several requests for additional pictures of the displays at the museum.  These are a couple of guns, the uniforms, and a bit of history.  I believe the Bess and the Charleville are repros.  The two Bakers are originals belonging to the same gentleman who owns the Sheetz rifle.  The carbine model is extremely rare.

Dave Kanger

-S.M. Tomlinson