Author Topic: Original Ramrod?  (Read 3510 times)

Offline vtbuck223

Original Ramrod?
« on: January 17, 2015, 08:39:37 PM »
May be a stupid question.....but  I am curious as to whether anyone has seen an original wooden ramrod on a golden age era longrifle or earlier....and how would you know?

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Re: Original Ramrod?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 10:13:41 PM »
I have an original iron mounted VA rifle that I believe has the original ram rod. The ram rod has sq cut nails holding the forge welded tip on. The threads matched up with an old English tap that Jim Webb had. Jim also had a matching die and was able to make a period style tow worm for it.

The rifle has been dated circa 1790's by several knowledgeable iron mounted gun students.

The ram rod is shown toward the bottom of the photos shown at this link
http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=4165.0
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 11:01:17 PM »
My thinking regarding ram rods is that they are, were, and expendable item like a nipple. Some may be original, not the majority or the norm, and most are probably replacements, whether old replacements or new, that may never be accuratley identified. To me it is one of the least important parts of an original rifle or pistol.
Mark

Mark

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2015, 12:34:50 AM »
If I see a ramrod with a metal ferrule or wiper and it generally seems to match the rest of the gun in fit and finish,  I assume the ramrod is original.   Most ramrods are perfectly plain, and such ramrods, I assume are replaced.   There are very fine presentation grade guns with very little wear that have ramrods that match the rest of the gun.   These, I also assume are original.    The guns that I think have original ramrods are probably less than 1 in 10.   

Offline Frank Barker

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2015, 01:31:33 AM »
Dennis..... That is a beautiful gun, thanks for showing it to us again. I must have missed it before.

Thanks and Kind Regards     Frank

Offline debnal

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2015, 04:07:18 AM »
Not totally foolproof, but I had an early HVF that I think had the original ramrod. What made me think so was the fact that the portion of the wooden rod that was under the pipes was totally dry and the wood had a different patina. This also applied to the portion that was in the stock.
Al