Author Topic: Battle of New Orleans 2015  (Read 2534 times)

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
Battle of New Orleans 2015
« on: January 19, 2015, 10:05:52 PM »
I had the pleasure of attending the festivities surrounding the 200th aniversary of the Battle of New Orleans. Bob Melancon and his lovely wife Linda offered to let Celeste and I stay with them for a few days and be our guides. We started out with a visit to the Jackson Barracks National Guard Museum where Bob's John Jacobs Sheetz rifle was on display. As many of you know Darrin McDonal and I did a documentary copy of this rifle for the CLA auction last year. It was a pleasure to see the rifle again and especially nice to see it representing its historic place and importance in the final battle with Brittan in the formation of our great country.

We then went to the battle field and I got to stand on "Line Jackson" what an honor. It is amazing when you go through the visitors center at the battle field and see the displays and you realize that our freedoms that we enjoy today were fought so hard for 200 years ago. Humbling!!

On our third day Bob and I went to where the battle was going to be reenacted. We visited some of the camps and took a tour down suttlers row. Right before we left the reenactors were getting ready to rehearse some of the activies for the battle on Sunday. This was a great treat because Celeste and I could not stay for the Sunday Battle.

I have posted a few pictures of our visit, I hope that you enjoy them.

The John Jacob Sheetz Rifle on display

William Ross owner and user of the John Jacob Sheetz rifle at the Battle of New Orleans

Here is Bob, David Fagerberg, myself and David Wright enjoying the Sheetz rifle.

Here is Bob with one of "Beals Riflemen"

Reenactors protraying "Beals Riflemen"

Brittish Baker Rifle unit

American Troops on Review

Suttlers

Line Jackson

Cannon on Line Jackson over looking the battle field

American Flag flying over Line Jackson

Celeste and I with the John Jacob Sheetz rifle

I want to say thanks to Bob and Linda not only for their hospitallity but for their generousity in working with the National Guard Museum and allowing them to use Bob and Linda's collection of artifacts used in the battle for display. Bob and Linda have numerous items of the battle other than the John Jacob Sheetz rifle on display so anyone interested in the battle and the activities surrounding the battle would have something to look at. Please join me in saying thank you to Bob and Linda. For those of you who do not know these fine folks Bob is one of our ALR members and post here. Say hello to him when you get the chance here on the board "4thLA".
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 07:01:26 AM by bama »
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline Topknot

• www.yahoo.com
Re: Battle of New Orleans 2015
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 02:44:09 AM »
What a beautiful rifle Jim. It warms the cockles of my heart to see such a nice gun. I bet it was awe inspiring to get to stand on line jackson. I want to say hello to Bob and Linda and to thank them for letting their rifle be put on display.I for one would have loved to have been there! Thank you posting the photos Jim.

topknot
TIM COMPTON, SR.

layover to catch meddlers!

Offline Darrin McDonal

Re: Battle of New Orleans 2015
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 02:57:19 AM »
Thank you Jim for sharing those. Wow!!!! I cant think of a better statement. I too want to thank Robert & Linda Melancon  Tommy Ryan and the others for both lending all of those extremely important artifacts to the museum for the display and for preserving them for future generations to carry on the history. Many collectors tuck away their collections and we never get to learn and enjoy them. To post them on public display is what they are for in reality, but not everyone is willing to do that.
Darrin
Apprentice Gunsmith
Colonial Williamsburg
Owner of Frontier Flintlocks