Author Topic: Historical Marker commenorating the Kentucky Rifle at the Battle of New Orleans  (Read 2939 times)

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
Thanks to the KRF and serveral of the KRA members this marker was placed at the Chalmette Battle Field on the evening of December 22 2014, 200 years after the battle. On December 23rd in 1814 the Americans made the first land contact with the Brittish and the battle started what we now call the Battle of New Orleans. We know that the Kentucky Rifle played a very important role in winning this battle. This marker commemorates the Kentucky Rifle and the brave men that used them. I wanted to post these pictures so all of our ALR members who are not KRA members would know of the markers placement. The marker was placed on the exact spot were Coffee's Tn Troops were placed on the battle field. We all know the devasting fire laid down by these men and the effect it had on the Brittish. It is the stuff that legends are made of and thus the song that forever named the Longrifle the Kentucky Rifle.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 08:59:20 PM by Ky-Flinter »
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
Thanks for posting this Jim.  And kudo's to the KRF/KRA for their efforts.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
Outstanding a tip of the hat to the KRA and for you for posting the photos.

Dan
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 04:35:44 AM by Dphariss »
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

nosrettap1958

That marker should be bigger, a lot bigger and there should be a few more of them scattered around the country.

You mention the 'Kentucky Rifle" virtually anywhere in the world and you don't need to explain anything, most know exactly what you mean.  

Great marker and I'm glad its there, finally.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 11:46:30 AM by crawdad »

Offline Fullstock longrifle

The Kentucky Rifle Foundation currently has an active program for placing these markers.  One was placed a few years ago in Emmitsburg Maryland for John Armstrong and the Emmitsburg school, and the KRF was recently involved in placing one for Leonard Reedy.  I'm currently off the board, but I'm sure they have others planned.
Frank
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 05:03:10 AM by Fullstock longrifle »