Author Topic: Pistol Information Request  (Read 4168 times)

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
Pistol Information Request
« on: January 20, 2015, 07:58:28 PM »
A fellow stopped by this past Sunday to show me his family heirlooms. I am not well versed in pistols and could offer little information to him. There are proof marks on the barrels with the word LONDON on the top, ahead of which is a loop engraved that looks like one of those Christian fish symbols without the enclosed tail fin, and appear to be .62 cal by measurement. The one lock appears to have had some work done as the cock looks to be a replacement and shows file or emery scratches all about it. The locks have no bridal encompassing the tumbler, and even though the fit of the parts is very good and the lock mortise is very clean and well executed they do not look to be very high end work overall, but are still functional. He told me he had them professionally cleaned up as they were in terrible condition. Any information would be appreciated and I will pass along to him. The family story is that two British officers stopped at their family farm, in the Cherry Valley area seeking quarters for the night. His ancestor told them they could stay in the barn but would have to leave their arms at the house. They complied. The next morning they were gone, leaving their pistols, swords and some other things. The pistols are all that remain in the family. True story(?), he doesn't know and agrees that it doesn't sound very likely. He would appreciate any factual information that would help fill out just what he has.
Thanks, Robby

molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Re: Pistol Information Request
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 08:39:16 PM »
They disappeared alright.  You might take a metal detector to the farm and look for their swords too. LOL
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Levy

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 09:27:46 PM »
I'm no authority, but I do see these (this type) pistols for sale pretty often.  Sometimes they have brass barrels and sometimes iron.  I think TOW had some brass barrels for this type pistol for sale at one time.  Many of them must have been imported.

James Levy 
James Levy

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 09:39:30 PM »
I'm pretty sure they are Ketland & Co made pistols, generally called Export pistols, and not Military pistols. They were made for export to the young US and other places.
Worth about $1000/$1500 each, with some restoration.
John
John Robbins

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 10:41:40 PM »
That ole family story sounds like a "nice telling" for children's ears. The real story takes on a more of an arsenic and old lace kind of tale. Look down in the basement for two skeletons!  :-X  Anyhow, anyone is more than welcome to spend the night in my barn for the same admission!
Joel Hall

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 01:30:50 AM »
Hi,
It would have to be British soldiers from the war of 1812 because Ketland & Co did not start business under that name until 1785. 

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Online Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 02:06:26 AM »
Hi,
It would have to be British soldiers from the war of 1812 because Ketland & Co did not start business under that name until 1785. 

dave
I agree. In fact the ketland & Co.looks a bit funky to me....
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Dan'l 1946

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2015, 05:40:03 AM »
Given their lack of bridles and overall lack of decoration, maybe they're trade pistols?
                                   Dan

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2015, 04:28:56 AM »
The Brits did leave the odd weapon here 1812 - 1815

In my remarkably foolish youth I owned a converted India pattern musket, purchased on the Eastern Shore (Delmarva Penninsula) The Brits had been pretty active in the Chesapeake Bay.

Still have a flint Paget carbine, bought from a man who collected it in North, i believe, Carolina, 1941 from an old house. Maybe the Brits let it there, or maybe it came through the Port of Wilmington, NC, on a blockade runner. Early in the Misery between the States some Southern cavalry, so it said in an old Civil War times, preferred flint carbines. Don't have to fiddle with a cap. Personally I find caps a @!*% nuisance, so sympathize.

Do you know any family history, like where did they live 1812-15??? Family stories can be squirrely, but some people do have long memories. Grandfather was still a bit angry when he told me how the Brits stood one of my uncles in lime water, in the hold of a British prison ship. I read part of that man's pension application and can only imagine what stories were handed down in earlier generations.

Might not an officer carry his own arms? Hence Ketland? Simple construction to fit the officer's budget.