Author Topic: UPDATE. C. Dixon & Son Bicentennial Flintlock Longrifle, See Pictures  (Read 6344 times)

JMCat768

Hello All,

UPDATE:

So I finally got around to bringing this up to Dixon's for an evaluation. This Longrifle was built by Chuck Dixon and engraved by Greg. This is # 22 built by Chuck in September of 1976. Greg recalls that he did this engraving prior to him going to engraving school. I guess its pretty rare because Chuck himself said that he only built a few more beyond this ( I believe he said he did 26 total ).

They were two of the nicest and accommodating people I have ever met.

I just thought that everyone would like to know a little more history about this longrifle.

I have acquired a C. Dixon & Son .50 Flintlock that I would like to see if anyone has any information about. I assume that it is the same C. Dixon ( Chuck ) that owns Dixon's Muzzleloader Shop? It appears to be some kind of commemorative / bicentennial Longrifle Made in 1976 ( See a few pictures below ). Rifle is .50 Barrel Length is 42" and does not appear to be swamped. Just wondering if anyone has an idea of how many were made? ( And a possible value? ) Thank you in advance for any information that you may have.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 08:08:52 PM by JMCat768 »

Offline Tom Currie

Re: C. Dixon & Son Bicentennial? Flintlock Longrifle
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 03:49:27 AM »
I have no idea of value that I can add but I'd say you are fortunate to own that rifle.

JMCat768

Re: C. Dixon & Son Bicentennial? Flintlock Longrifle
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 04:36:42 AM »
Thanks Tom, I feel very fortunate to have been able to purchase it. I have had it for about a year and a half. I know I should  bring it up to Dixon's and have them look at it but that will have to wait until the end of the winter.

jimc2

Re: C. Dixon & Son Bicentennial? Flintlock Longrifle, See Pictures
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 05:25:21 AM »
Both chuck and his son are named charles gregory dixon  i would bet greg ingraved it and most likely built it
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 05:26:27 AM by jimc2 »

JMCat768

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2015, 04:51:01 PM »
Hello All,
So I finally got around to bringing this up to Dixon's for an evaluation. This Longrifle was built by Chuck Dixon and engraved by Greg. This is # 22 built by Chuck in September of 1976. Greg recalls that he did this engraving prior to him going to engraving school. I guess its pretty rare because Chuck himself said that he only built a few more beyond this ( I believe he said he did 26 total ).

They were two of the nicest and accommodating people I have ever met.

I just thought that everyone would like to know a little more history about this longrifle.

Offline alyce-james

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2015, 05:41:41 PM »
JMCat768; Sir, I'm of the right age to own 1970's and a couple of 1960's built rifles. I was there during that time period. Thanks for sharing your pictures and information of the C. Dixon & Son bicentennial rifle. What a great rifle to have of that time period in my. OOPS, your collection.Have a great Christmas and a Happy New Year. AJ.
"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: UPDATE. C. Dixon & Son Bicentennial Flintlock Longrifle, See Pictures
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2015, 08:36:20 PM »
I was a regular hanging out at Dixon's in those days when the craft was growing leaps and bounds, and greatly benefited from Chuck's whole enterprise, which helped so many get started and improve their skills.
Andover, Vermont

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2015, 07:40:59 AM »
Rich, I'm surprised we didn't meet.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2015, 05:24:45 PM »
Great find. Congratulations
Dan