Author Topic: GRRW - Half Stock .54 Percussion  (Read 29967 times)

Offline Mtn Meek

• GRRW Collector
Re: GRRW - Half Stock .54 Percussion
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2016, 05:05:13 PM »
Didn't they offer about 1/2 dozen different guns back in the day? I remember I sure wanted one bad.

Mike, they did offer several different models back in the day.  This link describes the more popular models GRRW made.

http://grrw.org/basic-grrw-gun-collection/

In their early years of operation, they tried selling some other interesting models that didn't quiet catch on and only a few were made.  Those are described here:

http://grrw.org/limited-offer-guns/

GRRW was ahead of their time with some of these guns, and the market wasn't ready for them.
Phil Meek

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2016, 05:41:10 PM »
Ah yes, I remember those picture adds from the magazines back in those days. I wanted ALL of them! ;D I imagine you'd be hard pressed to easily find and collect all the models they made.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline BigAl52

• Starting Member
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2016, 07:21:42 PM »
I recently bought one in a 50 cal Hawken. I happen to really like Hawkens and after doing some research and talking with MTN Meek I jumped all over one when it came avaliable. I really like the gun and its interesting to hear about the history of that company along with being in the collectors association. The lines and the looks of GRRW Hawkens are second to none IMO. Al

Offline RonC

« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2016, 01:04:58 AM »
BigAl52's Hawken is really nice!
It took all I had not to salivate all over it. I brought a locally made, custom "Hawken" along and it was downright homely compared to BigAl's rifle.

BigAl was grinning from ear to ear and had every right to be! ;D

Ron
Ron

Offline General

« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2016, 04:11:28 AM »
Crawdad, I don't have a lot of time to get on here but I did speak with Carl and DOC about Ken Smith.  Neither one knew who it might be.  Possibly the 1st owner??  Thanks

General
Best Wishes to all
                  George Patton

Offline Mtn Meek

• GRRW Collector
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2016, 09:47:40 PM »
  Great looking piece.  I found one about a month ago.  Bought it along with a 54 Sharon.  Both shoot great at any distance.  Mine is stamped 414, GP and Ken Pierce engraved professionally on the top of the barrel.  Would be nice to know who Ken is as I know or have talked with several of the builders from GRRW.  Went shooting with DOC last Saturday.
  Anyone have any info about Ken?

Crawdad, I don't have a lot of time to get on here but I did speak with Carl and DOC about Ken Smith.  Neither one knew who it might be.  Possibly the 1st owner??  Thanks

General,

A point of clarification, is the name Ken Pierce engraved on the top of the barrel or is it Ken Smith?

I know of a Ken Smith that was active in skinning in the period your rifle was made and might fit the bill.  Can you send me pictures of your rifle with barrel markings that I can show him to see if he recognizes it?  My email address is plmeek@comcast.net

Phil Meek

nosrettap1958

« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2016, 06:31:22 PM »
GRRW was ahead of their time with some of these guns, and the market wasn't ready for them.

Other competitors that should be mention are the TC 'Hawken' and Lyman's Great Plains Rifle. For every one custom rifle I see at least a dozen of these out in the field. Although Pennsylvania for many decades has been a flintlock only state that may be skewing my observations.

However, at meets I've seen more than a few TC Hawkens and Lyman GPR give custom built rifles a run for their money, of course only at the lowly range of fifty yards.  Perhaps that's why many of these did not survive but may today with many of these brands offering in-lines only or just plain dropping their offerings. Look no further than the Colt percussion revolvers offering a beautiful well built revolver but at twice the price. They tried three times, the C Series, the F Series and then finally the Signature Series, and failed each time.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 09:58:57 PM by crawdad »

Offline General

« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2016, 06:53:14 AM »
  Great looking piece.  I found one about a month ago.  Bought it along with a 54 Sharon.  Both shoot great at any distance.  Mine is stamped 414, GP and Ken Pierce engraved professionally on the top of the barrel.  Would be nice to know who Ken is as I know or have talked with several of the builders from GRRW.  Went shooting with DOC last Saturday.
  Anyone have any info about Ken?

General,

A point of clarification, is the name Ken Pierce engraved on the top of the barrel or is it Ken Smith?

I know of a Ken Smith that was active in skinning in the period your rifle was made and might fit the bill.  Can you send me pictures of your rifle with barrel markings that I can show him to see if he recognizes it?  My email address is plmeek@comcast.net

Mt Meek, I still don't get on here as oft as I would like.  I don't have a clue how to post pics on here either.  I will send some via email in a day or 2.  It is Ken Pierce engraved on the top of the barrel.  Bought it at a local gun show in Vernal Ut from a gent from Provo Ut.  I also bought H-030 about a month later from Chuck.  The same one this article started with.  It is 8 on 8 so I'm assuming a Douglas Barrel too.  Taking them to a shoot again this Saturday on DOC Whites property in Ballard Ut.  Come on over and enjoy.  Hoping DOC will be there again.
Best Wishes to all
                  George Patton

Offline General

« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2016, 07:01:10 AM »
Phil, I was mistaken on my last quote also.  It was not the same as this thread started but a different one.  The rest is still the same.  Sorry bout that yall.
Best Wishes to all
                  George Patton

Offline Lampro

• Starting Member
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2016, 05:49:54 AM »
I was at a gun show the other day and saw two GRRW rifles. One of them was serial #1 and one of them was some kind of transitional looking thing. I asked the guy if it was a Hawken or a Trade rifle and he said it's kind of a cross between the two. 

Offline General

« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2016, 11:04:58 PM »
Lampro, better late than never sometimes but did you get the owners name or anything?  Was #1 for sale or just show?  If for sale what were they asking?  I'm sure Doc would be interested. Me too but can't afford it right now. Thanks and best wishes to all. George
Best Wishes to all
                  George Patton

Offline Lampro

• Starting Member
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2016, 08:21:15 AM »
Yes the man is a friend of mine through the local muzzleloader club. I am new to muzzleloading, I have known him for about a year, bought some things from him(including an Uberti/Allen Arms "Santa Fe" Hawken) and he has helped me with learning this sport/hobby. It was for sale but I don't remember the price although I want to say it was around $1,000+/-. He had two or three GRRW rifles so I may be getting the price mixed up. I will call him and see if he still has it. I can pm you the info probably tomorrow or in the next few days.

Offline General

« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2016, 10:23:52 PM »
That would be great if you would. I know several that used to work at GRRW along with others that could be interested in them. Thank you. George
Best Wishes to all
                  George Patton