Author Topic: Southern Half Stock signed WSL and Dated 1858 need info  (Read 3632 times)

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
Southern Half Stock signed WSL and Dated 1858 need info
« on: January 22, 2015, 07:59:37 PM »
Looking for any info on this little half stock rifle. This may be an Alabama gun as it has been in an Alabama family  for a long time. It has a S. North pistol lock on it dated 1823 that has been converted to percussion. A couple of things that I found interesting about the rifle is that the forearm is held to the barrel by a loop that has been dovetailed into the barrel, no front pin, just the loop. The second thing is the long coke bottle shaped tang. This rifle is nice slim little rifle, small calibre with iron trim. It was broken through the wrist and a good bit of wood was missing aroung the lock area. I did the restoration for the family but could not give them much info on the gun. There are serveral Alabama gunsmiths in the Gunsmiths and Allied Tradesman of Alabama with the initials of WL that were working in this time fame but no pictures of their guns.  Jerry has a  William S. Lewis listed as a gunsmith in Tennessee that was born in 1842. That would make him 16 when this rifle is dated so I don't think it is him. There are a couple of William Liles listed in Gunsmiths and Allied Tradesmen of Alabama that fit into the time frame but no pictures of their rifles. So any of you guys that can shed some light or make a SWAG it will be appreciated.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 08:03:40 PM by bama »
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Re: Southern Half Stock signed WSL and Dated 1858 need info
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 10:38:26 PM »
Jim,
If you had larger photos it would help. 700 Pixel is max for this board (it resizes anything larger to 700 pixels). Those must be thumbnails instead of regular size photo, if so click on the thumbnail then get the URL off the full size photo rather than the thumbnail.

*added*
Sorry, just looked and they ARE the full size on Photobucket, only 150 pixel, very small.
Dennis
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 10:42:23 PM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 07:11:32 AM »
Dennis i tried to resize them in photo shop to make them bigger. I will try again.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2015, 05:52:55 PM »
Jim,
I doubt you can do much with them. It looks like the originals were very small and if you blow them up they will be so grainy I doubt you can tell much about the detail.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson