Author Topic: New England Flintlock Rifle  (Read 6578 times)

George Roberts

New England Flintlock Rifle
« on: January 24, 2015, 12:00:55 AM »
This is a rifle I purchased from the son of a gentleman who was a neighbor when I was growing up.  I remember him telling me that he bought it in the 1930s at a Philadelphia antique show.  The dealer had a Revolutionary War musket, and this one.  They were both covered in tallow, and they were $10 each.  My neighbor could only afford one of them (it was the Depression) and I can still hear the wistful tone in his voice as he described the musket.
There was an article in the June 1993 Muzzle Blasts by Donald Andreasen titled "Observations On The New England Flintlock Rifle."  According to the article, cherry and walnut were the most common woods for stocks, and "maple is quite a rarity."
This rifle is .53 cal.  The barrel is 38 3/4 inches long, 1.215 " at the breech, 1.175 at the muzzle, and 1.10 at the narrowest.  Overall length is 48'' and the trigger pull is 13''.  There are small stars punched at the breech.
The lock says Ashmore Warranted, and the frizzen is unbridled.
The initials MP are carved behind the trigger guard, and also behind the rear lock bolt, but no other markings.
George

Offline Bart

Re: New England Flintlock Rifle
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 12:26:13 AM »
Really neat rifle !!!!

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 12:51:04 AM »
Rifle is in really good shape. The lock looks real good & you can see some original markings at the breech.

Worcester County Gunsmiths 1760-1830

http://americansocietyofarmscollectors.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/B044_Thompson.pdf

Offline JV Puleo

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 03:47:07 AM »
A very nice plain rifle. The late Bill Guthman felt (and I agree with him) that probably 90% of the tradional flint NE rifles were made for militia service.

The article you cite, by the late Don Andreasen, was in Man at Arms, not Muzzle Blasts.

George Roberts

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2015, 05:25:34 AM »
Hi JV Puleo,
You are entirely correct.  I read the article in Muzzle Blasts, but at the end of the article it does state "...reprinted with the permission of Men At Arms magazine, the NRA Journal for the American Arms Collector."
I also remember reading that the rather large caliber of these rifles was not for big game, but because they were meant for militia.
George

Offline JV Puleo

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 07:46:41 PM »
Yes. By the time they were being made (1790-1825) there was practically no deer-size game in New England... in fact the whole area was largely clear. In 1830 NE was about 80% clear where today its about 80% forrest. I knew Don at the time that was written and eventually ended up with the unmarked rifle he attributed to Silas Allen.

I believe the large bore was to accept government rifle ammunition. I even have one, with traces of rifling intact, in .65 caliber, large enough to take a musket ball. Nevertheless, rifles aren't mentioned in the militia acts and their use in volunteer companies, while popular, was locally regulated. Nearly all of these NE rifles come from Worcester County (which is about 15 minutes north of me). The entire area was fairly affluent in the early 19th century and volunteer companies were popular...what hunting was done was done with smoothbores, though I am personally of the mind that there wasn't much of that either. Firearms ownership was extremely common but the overwhelming number of surviving arms appear to have been for militia service.

Every Massachusetts militia regiment was supposed to have two flank companies, a Light Infantry Company and a Rifle Company. In 1842 the state effectively disbanded the enrolled militia and agreed to provide arms to the Volunteer militia (which is the first time that militia act arms were actually issued to troops). There weren't enough rifles and some of the "rifle companies" were issued muskets. This, needless to say, resulted in reams of angry correspondence. In order to supply the rifle companies the state sent its store of flint 1817 common rifles to Waterveliet Arsenal to be converted, polished and fitted with bayonets.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 11:13:08 PM by JV Puleo »

George Roberts

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 01:46:07 AM »
Hello again JVPuleo,
Thank you for all the helpful information.  If you don't mind, I'll print your comments and keep them with the Andreasen article.  I had admired the rifle for more than 50 years, and was delighted to get the chance to buy it.

George