Author Topic: Asa waters  (Read 4326 times)

Woody68

Asa waters
« on: January 26, 2015, 02:24:03 AM »
I just received a half stock musket, it's been
converted to a cap lock
With the marks of A waters on the lock
Dated 1830, there is a stamp on the
barrel 1831
 Would any of you have anymore information
or history on this stamp

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
Re: Asa waters
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 02:56:15 AM »
Hello Woody and welcome to the ALR Forum.  If you can post photos it will help us better identify your musket.  From what you've said, My guess is that it is a model 1816 US musket manufactured by A Waters (I can't recall off the top of my head where that maker was located). 1830 indicates the year the lock was manufactured, and 1831 the year of the barrel.  Hundreds if not thousands of these muskets were sold out of the service to civilians by a company called Bannerman, which often converted them to halfstock shotguns.  
Best,
-Eric

« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 02:57:08 AM by EvonAschwege »
Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

Woody68

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 04:18:43 AM »

« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 04:22:23 AM by Woody68 »

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 05:43:38 PM »
What you have is a Model 1816 contract musket that has been cut down and shortened, probably after the Civil War, for the Indian trade or as a cheap farmer's shot gun. It was also converted from flint to percussion ignition, probably during its time of service. It is of little value except for parts. I have one almost identical to it.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 05:46:46 PM by Nate McKenzie »

longrifle

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 07:28:34 PM »
Interesting  looks to be in pretty good shape. A lot of them were cut down after the war. I have one just about like it too.

Offline GrampaJack

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 03:08:30 AM »
Here is what your musket looked like before it was "sporterized".

The guys are right but I also believe that these post Civil War relics have a place in history.  Clearly they are not prime collectors items but, many thousands of them were obtained by both veterans and civilians after the war and they served an essential role in keeping food on the table and the wolf from the door for folks who just could not afford a Winchester or other "good" gun. These muskets were used by thousands of soldiers, both North and South, for a good part of the war and then continued to serve.  For many decades they could be bought for next to nothing. I remember buying a very nice one just for the lock. My feeling now is that one of these cut down muskets has a place in any collection just based on the length of it's service. I think the next time I see a good one I just might buy it.  You have a 185 year old piece of American history. I think that's pretty cool.  Jack
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 06:14:57 PM by GrampaJack »

longrifle

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 09:30:17 PM »
I agree these old guns are interesting, they were used in time of war then they were sold off as surplus and were used to protect the home and put food on the table. I think they deserve a place in any collection of older guns.