Author Topic: Help identify a rifle...  (Read 6100 times)

Offline mab7

Help identify a rifle...
« on: January 27, 2015, 07:38:37 PM »
I am very soon going to have the rifle pictured below in my possession. It is being passed from another family member to me. The original owner was my 5th Great Grandfather, who died in 1844. I apologize, but these are pictures of a picture. I have some basic information from the current person in possession and from some very poor documentation from when that person took the rifle to the Antiques Roadshow (what a joke)...

It is a longrifle, 59" in overall length with brass hardware. There is a plate missing, presumable brass as well, that I can only guess was mounted to provide a spot when carrying to protect the finish. You can see the shadow and holes in the stock from where it was. The top of the barrel is maker marked. The last name is Sells, but I have conflicting references to C Sells and John Sells. All references agree the lock reads "T. Davidson & Co."

I went through the list of American Arms Makers and did not see either a C Sells or John Sells. I also cannot seem to match up the trigger guard profile. So... I am wondering if anyone out there a lot more knowledgable than I am can add 2 + 2 and come up with 4 for me... Anyone?

Offline Dan'l 1946

Re: Help identify a rifle...
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 08:08:34 PM »
Looks like it once had a wear plate on the belly of the forestock.
                                    Dan

Offline mab7

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 09:50:19 PM »
Frederick and Jacob Sell were apparently in Pennsylvania and I have found images of a Beck rifle with that same trigger guard profile. I have not found anything on a C Sell or John Sell or Sells though...

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 10:39:07 PM »
Looks to me to be from Ohio.  Any Ohio provenance?

Offline mab7

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 12:23:50 AM »
I have no idea to be honest...

Offline albert

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 01:50:07 AM »
I restored a rifle that was made by a Benjamen Sells,on this rifle the lockbolt went in from the lock and was screwed into the breachplug.
j albert miles

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 05:44:55 AM »
Any pictures from the other side? What does the sideplate look like?
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline mab7

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2015, 06:41:15 AM »
Unfortunately no... All the pictures are of the right side.
After Feb 22, I can provide all the pictures you want though. It will be in my possession then...

Offline WElliott

• member 2
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2015, 06:58:30 AM »
How wonderful to have a riflle with the history of having belonged to your 5th great-grandfather!  Congratulations.
Wayne Elliott

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2015, 05:36:40 AM »
Looks very similar to the rifle I loosely patterned my first build after. It was the only longrifle I knew of at the time. It belonged to a distant relative. It had very similar styling of butt stock with a double spur trigggerguard like yours. Unfortunately someone had robbed the triggers and lock. It had a heavy barrel and the sideplate had two piercings. It came from southern WV area.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2015, 07:50:56 AM »
With the "T. Davidson" lock plate from Cincinnati, Ohio, your rifle is very likely made by either Michael or Benjamin Sells, two brothers who were gun makers along the Ohio River. Michael Sells worked in Augusta, Bracken County, Kentucky from about 1830 to 1870, while younger brother Benjamin worked across the Ohio River in Georgetown, Brown County, Ohio from about 1835 to 1884. When you get the rifle, look closely for the first initial, and I bet it is either "M" or "B"...with Benjamin's work being a little more frequently seen. Benjamin was trained by his older brother Michael, so their work is somewhat similar. Shelby Gallien

longrifle

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2015, 09:25:19 PM »
That is a very interesting old rifle. Post more photo's when you can. Thanks