Author Topic: G. Goulcher rifle?  (Read 4844 times)

Docholiday

G. Goulcher rifle?
« on: February 01, 2015, 03:23:43 AM »
Hi all,
Need some help figuring out what I have. The sideplate is engraved G. Goulcher.  The barrel is octagon with Bown&Heckert. It has double trigger mechanism with percussion.
Any info leads would be really appreciated.
As soon as I figure out how to post photos I will.

galamb

Re: G. Goulcher rifle?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 04:10:24 AM »
G. Goulcher was (probably) a third generation gun maker that was most noted for his locks which were standard hardware store stock in the mid/late 1800's.

Because of that, it really gives no clue as to where or by whom the rifle was made. Probably hundreds if not thousands of rifles in the mid to late 1800's had G. Goulcher locks on them (along with Leman locks which were every bit as popular).

Your best bet of at least nailing down an area or region where the rifle might have been made is by posting up some pictures.

Likewise the barrel markings are possibly from the supplier or barrel maker and may or may not have anything to do with who built the rifle or where (or even when for that matter).

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 08:35:45 AM »
Hi Doc,

Welcome to ALR.  Here's a link to a photo posting tutorial..... http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=d56e67cv57i109dhq4khmb4d30&topic=10.0

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Don Stith

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 04:30:50 PM »
Could the name on the barrel be Bown & Tetley? They were a fairly prolific maker in Pittsburgh
 Also did business as Enterprise gun works