Author Topic: All these Hawken Threads?  (Read 37479 times)

Offline Luke MacGillie

Re: All these Hawken Threads?
« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2015, 04:16:52 AM »
Say what you will about Jeremiah Johnson or any of the other semi corny mountain man movies, lots of (forest through the  trees outlooks).  I do the same as well, but its great to be able to know the difference between a thunderhead and a jet stream. 
 I also know that without those movies I would have been still hunting elk with a 30-40 Krag or some fancy checkered bolt action. Luckily I had enough of an imagination back then to see past the Indian chief wearing the Rolex in that old western, and glanced into the real future that brought my dad, uncle, brother, friends and myself together to countless weeks in hunting camps high in the Idaho mountains, comparing each others most recent built kit riles, and wishing I could afford one of those GRRW rifes I saw in that magazine, and the blanket shoots at the old rifle range where I won the 100 yard offhand with my TC Sharon barreled 50. Without those old Hollywood movies, I would have most likely never had the chance to learn how to throw a hawk or start a fire with a piece of rock. The real memories that were created that I have been able to pass on to my sons was worth it and I will always have a special liking for Brian Keith and Redford for that.

Absolutely!

I was the biggest stitch counter when I was reenacting, and still am in my non public endeavors these days but the debt that we owe to all the historical movies, you just cant put a price on that.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2015, 08:04:45 PM »
Next time you watch Jeremiah Johnson pay close attention to the gun Paints His Shirt Red is holding while watching Jeremiah fish appears to be a side by side one side rifled and one side smooth. This probably is an original. What do you think?

A lot of the movies used original guns in them. And a lot of modern made ones, just disguised. Several years ago Little Johns Auction sold off the collection of Stembridge Armory, who supplied weapons to Hollywood for many years.

Check this link and look through the inventory; http://www.originalprop.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/little-johns-auction-service-stembridge-armory-collection.pdf

Charlton Heston's rifle from The Mountain Men is Lot # 103. Other guns from that movie are Lot's 102, 130 and 131.

After the auction, I ended up with lot 96, a rifle used in Sgt. York with Gary Cooper. Though a bit messed up, it was originally made by Nicolas Hawk.

John
John Robbins

Mike R

« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2015, 05:28:03 PM »
As we all know, there were a great variety of rifles used on the frontier through time. A lot of the early fur trappers used plain ol' PA made rifles, as from Lancaster and other points east. The Hawken boys set up pretty early in the "mountain man " period and we know some of the lads toted their rifles--especially in the later years.  The Hawken rifles were [are] great hunting guns and their use as such lasted into the 1870s at least. And they were not all big bores. A former neighbor of mine had his great grandaddy's Sam Hawken rilfe that he took to Arizona when he pioneered out there. It was a ~.32 +/-! It was the first real Hawken I ever held [this was ca 1966].  I don't remember what date he took the rifle out there, but the style was typical of the percussion rifles they made, just small bore. Obviously he was not a big game hunter...

Offline Dan'l 1946

« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2015, 06:29:09 PM »
  The Hawkens made squirrel rifles, too. This sounds like one of them. Check Don Stith's website for some photos of one.                                                                   
                                         Dan

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2015, 02:14:42 AM »
As we all know, there were a great variety of rifles used on the frontier through time. A lot of the early fur trappers used plain ol' PA made rifles, as from Lancaster and other points east. The Hawken boys set up pretty early in the "mountain man " period and we know some of the lads toted their rifles--especially in the later years.  The Hawken rifles were [are] great hunting guns and their use as such lasted into the 1870s at least. And they were not all big bores. A former neighbor of mine had his great grandaddy's Sam Hawken rilfe that he took to Arizona when he pioneered out there. It was a ~.32 +/-! It was the first real Hawken I ever held [this was ca 1966].  I don't remember what date he took the rifle out there, but the style was typical of the percussion rifles they made, just small bore. Obviously he was not a big game hunter...
I wonder if it may have had a bullet twist?
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Mike R

« Reply #55 on: February 25, 2015, 10:13:55 PM »
As we all know, there were a great variety of rifles used on the frontier through time. A lot of the early fur trappers used plain ol' PA made rifles, as from Lancaster and other points east. The Hawken boys set up pretty early in the "mountain man " period and we know some of the lads toted their rifles--especially in the later years.  The Hawken rifles were [are] great hunting guns and their use as such lasted into the 1870s at least. And they were not all big bores. A former neighbor of mine had his great grandaddy's Sam Hawken rilfe that he took to Arizona when he pioneered out there. It was a ~.32 +/-! It was the first real Hawken I ever held [this was ca 1966].  I don't remember what date he took the rifle out there, but the style was typical of the percussion rifles they made, just small bore. Obviously he was not a big game hunter...
I wonder if it may have had a bullet twist?

Good question and I don't know....it was sure a fine condition old rifle though...it was a typical half stock just like its big brothers.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 10:15:04 PM by Mike R »

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2015, 12:27:57 AM »
Oh!!!!! you notty boyz!!!! ;D ;D

Offline Old Ford2

« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2015, 06:48:46 AM »
Next time you watch Jeremiah Johnson pay close attention to the gun Paints His Shirt Red is holding while watching Jeremiah fish appears to be a side by side one side rifled and one side smooth. This probably is an original. What do you think?
I have watched that scene several times, and thought greatly of the prop department to have such an unusual gun in that location and time.
Not that it could not have happened.
The native American Indian was a trader, and also knew the value of such an arm.
Even today, how often do we see such a combination gun?
Fred
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!

Hemo

« Reply #58 on: March 06, 2015, 05:05:21 PM »
Well, if the still picture is any indicator, I wouldn't expect much. His frizzen is open, his hammer is down, and I don't see any smoke. Sounds like another Jeremiah Jerkweed movie generated by Hollywierd to me. Time will tell. It will all hinge on who they get as an advisor.

Hungry Horse

Maybe he had a misfire. Maybe it's a long hold after he took a shot and the wind blew away the smoke. Maybe he's just checking his sights to see where he left his bubble gum. At least it's a flintlock!

I started out in this crazy hobby back in the 70's when I was the only one in the muzzleloading bunch who insisted on building and shooting my own flintlock, and was roundly ridiculed for shooting that @!*% hiss-boomer when there were perfectly good TC Hawkens available to shoot. I think time has vindicated me, but as they say, what goes around comes around. I expect I'll watch the movie when it comes out.

Hemo

Vomitus

« Reply #59 on: March 14, 2015, 10:24:51 PM »
   I'm still stuck on "Beatleboots," lol!