Author Topic: Gunsmith's personal rifle  (Read 11548 times)

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Gunsmith's personal rifle
« on: February 06, 2015, 03:22:03 PM »
How many of us know of the personal rifles of a specific maker?  Can you share photos?
Just curious about how many know examples there are. 
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline smokinbuck

Re: Gunsmith's personal rifle
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 06:56:32 PM »
Robb,
I have a little half stock rifle that Dave Taylor built for himself. Taylor was from, and worked, in Little Hocking, Ohio in Washington County until his death in the 1960's, he was born in 1887. Taylor was a prolific barrel maker and I have his rifle which is a small half stock with one of his own .38 caliber barrels. The barrel on this rifle is 35"X13/16" with a german silver under rib, which was one of his trademarks. Hardware is brass with double set triggers and what appears to be a Golcher percussion lock and both open and peep sights. The rifle is in the same condition as the day he made it and was acquired after his death by a mutual friend of his and myself from whom I later acquired it. I realize this isn't an early, fancy or important piece of history but it relates to a period in Ohio that is gone. I can't post but would be glad to send a few pictures if you want.
Mark
Mark

Offline Bill-52

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 08:39:22 PM »
Robb,

John Shell's rifle #65 in the ALR Library is thought by some to be his personal rifle.  It's my understanding this rifle was initially found in his home in Shellsville, along with the horn and bag that accompanied it at Cowan's Auctions.

Bill
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 09:21:27 PM by Bill-52 »

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 10:07:21 PM »
Somewhere floating around is the personal rifle of Chambers King of Kittanning PA.  It's a fancy rifle with a lot of inlays.  There is a photo of
him holding it.  It was purchased by Dan Hardesty 20 years ago or so and moved on somewhere.  I would sure like to see it some day.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2015, 11:01:19 PM »
There is published in several books, the personal powder horn of James Clark, Bedord Co, PA...signed "James Clark...Bedford Co..Penna,,,1809."
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 11:29:06 PM by Hurricane ( of Virginia) »

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2015, 04:26:52 AM »
I really don't know how you would identify such guns, or at least prove ownership.  Every gunmaker I know, including myself, doesn't hang onto any gun all that long, even ones they may have made for their personal use.    They either need the money, get tired of the gun, or feel that they can make themselves something better.    It is not like a personal rifle might have remained in the possession of the estate.     A long term gunmaker likely would made many rifles that they used themselves at one time or another.   There are a couple of rifles I believe the gunmaker made for themselves, but I can't prove that and wouldn't publicly express my opinion.

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2015, 04:55:06 AM »
Mark,
     As per the grandson of Lincoln Grant Shreckengost, the story goes as follows.  The year is 1876.  Lincoln returns home from school and heads to his father William G. Shreckengost's gunshop to help his father.  Linc looks in the corner where his rifle uaually stands and notes it is not there.  Upon questioning his father Linc learns that a man had come to the shop that day needing a rifle immediately and upon finding no complete rifles in the shop the man asks about Linc's rifle.  William being a business man sells his sons rifle to the man.  Linc expresses his displeasure to his father and Williams responds that he is sorry and promises his son that they will together build an exceptional rifle for Lincoln.  Less than 10 photographs of Lincoln Shreckengost are known to exist but in 3 of them he is holding the special swivel breech muzzleloader that he and his father made together in 1876.  On one barrel the rifle is signed in full script William G. Shreckengost on the other barrel the full script name Lincoln G. Shreckengost.  This special rifle has been passed from father to son since 1876.
   These are the kinds of stories I am inquiring about.  Chambers King was photographed holding his personal rifle.  Solomon Heriger was photographed holding his personal rifle.  These are three examples that I know of, so certainly some guys who have been around these rifles for 50 years should be able to share more examples than a guy like me who has only been around them for 5 years.
   Here is the personal rifle of Lincoln G. Shreckengost, signed on both barrels.  Linc was photographed here in 1948 at the age of 88 holding the rifle he cherished.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 05:00:56 AM by Shreckmeister »

Offline lexington1

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2015, 05:12:26 AM »
There was that Welcome Mathewson New England gun that supposedly came down through the family along with his powder horn and ledger. I don't recall where I saw that, however.

Offline vtbuck223

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2015, 05:35:35 PM »
The Welcome Mathewson rifle was featured on antiques roadshow....the collection appraised over 100,000 as I recall.

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2015, 07:56:20 PM »
If you have a copy of Ned Roberts book "The Muzzle-Loading Cap Lock Rifle" on page 230 there is a short captioned picture of both John Sherry and another of his Kentucky match rifle that he made which was his personal favorite rifle. Sherry was from Lower Beaver Township, Clarion County.  He was quite prolific making longrifles from the 1790's until about 1870.
Joel Hall

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2015, 02:31:06 AM »
Shreckmeister,

That is indeed a VERY special rifle you have in your family.   I wish I could have made something like that with my father, but he didn't like working with anyone else.   He let me use the shop as long as he wasn't there.  My grandfather was a little more willing to share his knowledge.  I guess it might have had something to do with my grandfather having gone through an apprentice program and my father being entirely self taught.    I am mostly self-taught with regard to the gunmaking, but I do make an effort to share my knowledge, such as it is.   

I know that is not exactly what we were talking about, but it is where your story lead me.   Again,  I hope you and your descendants appreciate how special that object is and never let it get out of the family. 

Mark

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2015, 05:52:41 AM »
Shreckmeister,

That is indeed a VERY special rifle you have in your family.   ........   Again,  I hope you and your descendants appreciate how special that object is and never let it get out of the family. 

Amen to that.

I've seen that picture of your GG(?)Grandfather before and love it.  He's looking out over those glasses with that little mischievous grin.  I'll bet he was a card.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2015, 04:37:58 PM »
Ron,  I was gifted with those glasses you mentioned and when I got them I learned why Linc didn't engrave his rifles like his father did.  He was probably legally blind.

Paul E. Wog

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2015, 04:10:25 AM »
Mr. Meister,
  Perhaps you should relate the story behind the glasses ???...
  It is a good story, and deserves to be told ;D  After all, you were discussing personal items of gunsmiths  ::)
                      Peace Out...Shreck ( NOT Meister ) 

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2015, 04:14:49 AM »
Sorry Shreck,  They will have to come to the Shreck Museum when it opens to hear that story.

Paul E. Wog

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2015, 05:25:45 PM »
 ;)Mr. Meister,
  I understand.  As Grandpa Shreck used to say:
  "  That's just between you and me, and, the sh--house door. "  :o
                          Peace Out....Shreck ( NOT Meister ) ::)

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2015, 09:39:15 PM »
Hi,
I wonder if the famous "This Rifle Made By A Verner Gunsmith" was his personal gun.  I am not sure a customer would want that engraved on his gun.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2015, 09:51:36 PM »
I tend to agree with you on that Smart Dog.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2015, 10:25:28 PM »
I don't have any proof, but have always thought that Verner was his personal gun/advertising piece. There's also a couple George Weiker rifles with his name + Gunsmith, and the price engraved on the PB cover. Again, probably personal gun/advertising pieces.

I agree the old guy looking over those glasses looks like a character! That's cool you have the glasses, and the gun!!

John
John Robbins