Author Topic: First Game  (Read 3852 times)

Offline Nordnecker

First Game
« on: February 08, 2015, 04:10:59 PM »
A buddy called yesterday and invited me on a rabbit hunt. I decided to blow off my plans and join him. I also decided to take my .54 smoothbore instead of my usual 20 ga SxS. I got some strange looks from the other hunters.
Rabbits were scarce, the beagles were lazy and didn't want to hunt. We finally jumped one, heard a good chase, but I didn't get a shot. I put the gun from half-cock to full-cock and back time and time again. I lost my frizen stall and had to cut the finger out of a glove to make another one. We flushed one covey of quail but that season is over. I was able to shoulder the gun and get a pretty good aim on one bird but I didn't pull the trigger.
By lunchtime my gun was sure getting heavy. Two of the guys called it quits and left, taking 3 beagles home with them. So my buddy and I continued. We jumped another, heard a good long chase but never saw that one. I was getting tired but he thought he'd make another quick push through the brush across the road. I said, OK, I'll do it, too.
We quickly jumped another and he ran like the wind, down the field edge and across the road, back to our parked trucks and under an old collapsed building.
My Bud went over there and flushed him out again. Sure enough, he came back across the road, right in front of me. I waited for him to cross and get far enough away for a decent shot. I made sure the gun was on full cock, shouldered, aimed and Pow, cloud of smoke, and the rabbit kept running. The delay got me. I shot right behind him.
While I reloaded and my heartbeat slowed back down, my buddy went back in the brush and eventually got that rabbit back up. He shot and missed. The rabbit was coming my way, running as fast as he could. I shouldered and followed, remembering to give a little extra lead and follow through to compensate for the lag of the hammer falling and Pow, big cloud of smoke, and "I got 'im", I yelled. I was thrilled.  We ended the hunt and headed home. What a great day.  :D
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 07:23:18 PM by Nordnecker »
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline wattlebuster

Re: First Game
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 04:15:33 PM »
Congrats to ya. I love rabbit over a open fire :)
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline LH

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 07:09:20 PM »
Sounds like a fun bunny hunt with the flintlock.   8)

Offline old george

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 07:19:45 PM »
A day in the woods with friends and baying hounds plus a bunny for the pot. Doesn't get any better than that. ;D

geo
I cannot go to Hades: Satan has a restraining order against me. :)

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 07:30:50 PM »
Good job on the forward allowence. You most likely know that, done up right,rabbit is one of the best eating of all meats. Enjoy.

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2015, 07:39:27 PM »
I should have said, "First game taken with a flintlock". Up until now, I've only shot at targets, and they weren't moving. The load was about 1 oz #6 & 8 shot mixed, about 55 gr 3F with over powder/ shot cards, lubed with wonderlube. When shotting at targets, it seems like the gun goes off instantly. Boy, I could sure tell the difference. The hammer seemed like it moved in slow motion. It is an interesting notion to pull the trigger and continue to swing the gun. I had meant to take the gun out skeet shooting but hadn't done it yet. I had planned to go goose hunting with it as well, but haven't worked up a non-toxic, non steel load, either.

Oh, yeah- I know how good rabbits are, wife loves 'em, too.
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline Daryl

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2015, 09:22:43 PM »
Good story- even better ending. Well done.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2015, 09:26:01 PM »
Now that's a fun hunt!
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.