Author Topic: How can I find this Golcher lock plate or who makes them??  (Read 4035 times)

Rick Borecky

How can I find this Golcher lock plate or who makes them??
« on: February 10, 2015, 04:17:15 AM »
I am trying to find a Golcher Lock plate for this Rifle below. It appears to be in the .30 something cal. My father has it and would like to complete it. Any help on where to look would be greatly appreciated. Rick B

Offline gibster

Re: How can I find this Golcher lock plate or who makes them??
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 05:26:36 AM »
The problem with locks is that they are all different sizes, even from the same maker.  I don't think I've ever found a lock separate from a rifle that would fit the mortise. But then all it takes is one.  Best of luck with your search.

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 06:44:54 AM »
Gibster is right. If you find one that fits it would be next to a miracle. You may have to find one that's close, a little oversize, and re fit the mortice to the lock.
Mark
Mark

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 06:47:04 AM »
If you want to find a close fitting replacement, you need to provide accurate dimensions of: length of mortise from back to front edge at longest spot; height of mortise at about where lock bolt is located, height of nose area of mortise at about where the nose area starts. Also provide distance between center of tail of lock to the center of the lock bolt hole...and the height up the center of the lock bolt hole is from the bottom of the lock mortise. Pictures of a tape measure held next to the mortise are of little value since they are too fuzzy to read accurately....you need to take the physical measurements accurately yourself and post the numbers here...to the closest 32nd of an inch hopefully.

You will not find a perfect fit, so you want to look for the closest fitting lock plate that causes the least amount of removal of original stock wood to inset it. Often you can find a lock that fits pretty well into the mortise in the rear portion, but is slightly too long in the front nose section. Your rifle has ample extra wood there to allow a slightly longer plate to be set in snuggly with only minimal removal of new wood. If you find a plate the fits reasonably well, just slightly loose, it's not a bad one to use, since a lot of old lock plates that have been in and out of guns over the years become slightly loose in the mortise.

A big problem will be finding a plate with the proper size and location of the cut-out for the round side lug where the nipple fits. If you find a usable lock plate, then a good idea is to have a good metal worker "move" the rounded cut-out for the side lug by welding in metal where needed, and removing metal where needed, until the lock fits around your specific lug reasonably well. Lugs vary a lot in size and their cut-outs in location, so a little metal work in this area is almost unavoidable....if you want to find and use an original lock. The metal worker may also have to relocate the lock bolt hole slightly...by welding up the old hole and drilling a new one in correct location and correct size.

Another approach is to purchase a modern percussion lock (Dixie Gun Works catalog) and have a metal worker file/grind/trim its edges until it fits the mortise correctly, then make the side lug cut-out to exactly fit your rifle. Problem with using a new lock is that it usually has no name on it, often no border engraving, and needs to be colored and antiqued down to approximately match the finish of an old lock that would be on the gun. That requires a competent metal worker who can engrave, and who has worked on restoring old locks in the past.

Perhaps if you provide good dimensions of the lock mortise on this site, some viewer will have a spare that is close to what you need, and may be willing to sell it to you.

Shelby Gallien
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 06:51:46 AM by Tanselman »

Offline Longknife

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 05:08:35 PM »
 If you want a new lock Track of the Wolf catalog has actual size pictures of all their locks......After looking for an original lock for over a year I replaced a missing lock on an antique rifle and found a new L&R Leman percussion to be a real close fit. Originals are hard to find in decent shape. Now I am thinking of having the barrel rebored and rifled to make a shooter...like I need another....Ed
Ed Hamberg

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 07:02:24 PM »
Look on E-Bay for old locks and lock plates.....if you manage to find an old lock plate sans internals you may be able to transfer internals from modern stuff, ie: Siler. You may need to fill some holes or get real creative. If you manage to win the bid and it does not fit, you could always resell it somewhere else.

I will look in my box of junk and see if I have anything.....and the next time I am at the Log Cabin I will see what they have laying around.....never know what turns up in a box of junk!

Rick Borecky

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2015, 08:27:24 PM »
Appreciate the help and please let me know if you run across anything. Rick B

Rborecky@roadrunner.com